Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 62

Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I do feel with SR it is an emotional investment, the more we put in of ourselves, the greater the return!

Seriously, I love that this is a place where people genuinely do understand your addiction, whatever level and whatever is behind it. It helps to know there are others out there who know what it's like to go through what we have been through. Who know how hard it can be to forgive ourselves. Not only for the wasted years, but perhaps for the things we did to others and to ourselves during those years.
I look back at the person I was as a drinker and feel almost that she is a different person. I'm not saying I want to distance myself, I mean that I am stronger, more capable and are free from the constant drive to locate my next drink. It is very liberating.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Magsie

Rose, I’ve learnt so much from member’s of SR and I agree with toots about more you put in, the greater the return.

My attempts in the past of doing it alone was futile, having this great community, that’s how it feels to me now, where each of us help and support, even without realising sometimes. make it so much more enjoyable and doable.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

toots and Mags - you are both so right! I guess I could have worked out that once I'd committed to signing up here, and posting, I'd feel an element of support from people who have had similar experiences with alcohol. But it turns out that is the tip of the iceberg. I couldn't have anticipated that it would make me feel so optimistic and that I'd feel quite so closely linked to others and genuinely interested in knowing how they're doing. Quite something.

I wish you both a good Thursday. Mags - return of summer here in London (temporarily). And for you too a bit further north?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Magsie

Rose, yes it was a nice day yesterday, went for a walk and sit by the trees in Normanby Park and watch the world go by. It’s quite nice now (Friday 06.30 ish) but I hear it’s going to change.

Talking of tip of the iceberg....I can see a parallel with learning to drive. I remember my very first driving lesson when I was 17 years. The instructor drove me to a quiet road, pointed out the various controls and readings then I got to drive.

I drove along thinking “yay I can drive” (a bit like when we have a day sober, so happy to be sober). Then as the lessons progressed I realised there’s a lot more to driving than just steering the car and using the pedals.

Just as with sobriety there are bumps in the road and pitfalls and with experience and understanding (our sober tools and sober muscles) we can avert these obstacles.

So the AV is smashed before he’s even put a thought there!

It keeps me on the sober road.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hello my sober Undie Friends, hows everyone doing this fine Monday morning? ( I can say that because I'm retired and don't have the Monday morning blues any more!)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s a fine day here too, toots! Sun shining and a sober Monday.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Mags, I just goggled Normanby Park, which I'd never heard of and it's looks absolutely lovely. Whilst I think London is a great walking city I do like to get a country walk in when I can and I also love to visit grand old houses and Normanby looks like it would tick both those boxes. And talking of grand old houses did you yet get a chance to see the Downton Abbey film?

And amen to the sober road!

Hi toots, hope all is well with you. I'm also retired so I don't get the Monday morning blues any more either although this is the first chance I've had to read and post at my leisure this week. That's because I've taken on toddler care duties with my granddaughter. I am most certainly not complaining but it's a real thief of time. Today is a day off for me so I'm off to walk (as it happens) through one or two of London's poshest streets to see an art exhibition. So a bit of window shopping on the way.

Hi Purps, MITA and time. Hope life is treating you all well.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Magsie

Rose, I haven’t seen Downton Abbey yet, I’m hoping my friend is available this weekend , though she is like yourself with grandchildren duties. She works too so only weekends are possible. I will get to see it one of these days though.

Normanby Park is lovely and it’s only a mile or so up the road so we go there quite often for walks (unless it’s pollen time ) we’re going with my in-laws later today for a walk round then lunch.

Did you see in the main house at Normanby Park there’s a dress on show that Maggie Smith wore in the series of Downton?

Toots hope you’re have a restful time.

I had a moment yesterday. I’d been to a funeral and we then we went to a pub/restaurant for a family and friends gathering.
The sun was shining and a man was sat outside drinking a pint and for a split second I was jealous. The feeling went just as quick. I knew I wouldn’t drink but thoughts come and go, main thing is having the tools to diminish them.
I know better than to feed that wolf.

Have a good sober day Unders and some Overs
Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Mags - no I didn't actually notice there's a Downton dress in the main hall. How excellent. I really hope you get to see the film. I so enjoyed it. You'll be unsurprised to hear it was pure and wonderful escapism. And the clothes! Wonder how you get to be an extra in a film like that? Be quite something to attend one of the dances. I could stand in the corner being one of the old dowager chaperones!

I had a similar moment as the one you described (wine envy in my case) when I was watching that rather good thing on BBC 2 called 'State of the Union'. Every episode starts with the female character arriving at what looks like a very nice pub for a glass of white wine that is waiting for her. Honestly it really made me feel how good it would be to be sitting in a pub like that slowly sipping a cold glass. Lucky enough I feel committed enough to my sobriety thus far not to put the thought into action and of course a dose of realism didn't go amiss. What would I know about slowly sipping a cold glass of wine!? Not exactly my style given that - as I constantly remind myself - I've never had a single glass of wine. Sigh. That's the fact of it.

I meant to say at the beginning that I hope the funeral went as well as it could.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Unders and Overs

Rose, I’m going to see Downton tomorrow afternoon. Yaaay. It would be fun to dress up in the Victorian dress and be an extra, though I think I’d get fed up of being too trussed up after five minutes.

Toots, hope the weather is as good in Spain as over here, though I’ve heard it’s about to change soon.

Another sober weekend coming up.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Looks like staying pretty nice here Mags. I went diving yesterday, from the shore for a change, a lovely shingle beach, but what a long walk it felt with my weights and tank etc, then coming back in after an hour of swimming, my legs felt like cooked noodles, my feet began to sink into the shingle and a wave knocked me flat! Could I get up? Not for all the giggling! I had to be helped by my dive buddy and the instructor who couldn't help joining in the giggles. Hubby arrived last night and today we golf. Hopefully less eventfully!

Rose, a book, a film, an advert, so many opportunities to be reminded of a drink, but like you I know, even if it is a drink I would have chosen, I could never moderate. You are doing so well, you should be proud.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hello there Unders. Glad to see everyone finding enjoyment in the day-to-day.

Toots, I am envious of your month of Saturdays life. Still, I am looking forward to today, much to be grateful for.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:04 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

toots, sounds like you're having a lot of fun! Hope the golf was just a touch less eventful.

Hi MITA. You're sending upbeat. Hope you continue to enjoy your weekend.

Mags, did you see Downton and if so what did you think?

Happy to report everything is OK here. Weather a bit downcast but this is the UK. We're used to that!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hi Rose. Thanks

I'm trying to be better about the gratitude thing. I can get kind of anxious and negative at times, but I have a pretty good life!! Especially when I'm not being stupid
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rose335 View Post
toots, sounds like you're having a lot of fun! Hope the golf was just a touch less eventful.
Not really,, my foot slipped off the break and I shunted into the buggy in front of me! Not particularly forceful but the bloke moaned about back pain the entire way around and asked if I had golf insurance! What a blooming chancer!
Old 09-22-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Magsie

Rose, Congratulations on your three months , yes I got to see Downton, well worth watching. The whole film was feel good (except for an odd time) and the costumes and scenery was marvellous. All in all a good few hours spent watching.

Toots, the cheek of him

A rainy Monday but a sober one, hope it’s same for you too (not the rain bit lol)
Old 09-24-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hello to all my "Under" friends

I really enjoy the UK words and phrases - bloke, buggy, shunted, cheeky - a refreshing change for me

Nothing earth shattering or life changing to comment on - I'm having some mostly enjoyable days at the moment. Work is a bit of a chore, but .... well, that's work!!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-24-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

humbly checking in a few days sober but today doing my best
Old 09-24-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Just checking in and catching up on posts. Good to read. I'm in a bit of a funk, no real desire to drink, but lately it seems to be everywhere. Started having some of those moments where you question yourself regarding social stuff. For example, meeting a new person and thinking, "man, if I still drank we'd probably end up pretty good friends because we'd hang out together...but I don't", or maybe even wondering what social connections (meeting people who help your advancement) you might be missing out on since you don't drink.

I know this is stupid thinking, but I cannot seem to shake this funk. Again, I'm not passing by the beer aisle with a desire, but rather I'm having a social funk without a desire to drink. Just seems odd.

Also, I'm having this thought of "what do I do next" sort of thing.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-63-a.html (One Year and Under Club Part 63)
D