Notices

New here, concerned for loved one

Old 07-15-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, concerned for loved one

I am new to this site and I am looking for information on methadone for a loved one. He had a prescription opioid addiction before knowing me. He hasn't used since I've known him. Upon cleaning up his things a few months ago I found some methadone bottles. I have yet to tell him that I know about his treatment to save us both the awkward talk and I am glad he's in treatment and I support it with all my heart! I am just looking to pick someone's brain about it and get to know how it works and what dosages are high and low, etc. Thank you so much!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Curious

Hopefully your loved one is under the care of a doctor or clinic & that is where the Methadone bottles came from? Methadone can also be bought on the street & is used as a powerful recreational type drug.

Daily Methadone dose is very patient dependent. Typically starting doses are in the 40 to 60 mg range. The daily dose can be increased until the patient is stable (not feeling withdrawal symptoms). High daily doses are generally considered to be a 100 mg plus range.

Patients who are abusing the treatment try to go for as high a daily dose as possible.

Methadone use to treat opioid addiction is about harm reduction. If used properly it has its benefits. There is also a lot of room for abuse. I suggest you read about methadone treatment online.

Not sure why your loved one would not have told you about their methadone treatment. Also bottles of liquid methadone should not be just laying around. Most programs require take home bottles to be kept in a secure lock box. Methadone is an extremely powerful & potentially dangerous drug.