Notices

What if you drink to die

Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What if you drink to die

Not that I am, but what if you really don't care at all anymore?

Yes their are things like family, friends etc to think of but what if you have already told them the same things.

After all life is not forever and something will get you in the end, I'm just caught up in the "what's the point" thing.

I believe in Jesus before someone says something along the religious lines but he struggled in the end as well.

So, my question.... Take family and religion out of the equation and what's the point?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the point is to do whatever you can in your life to make the world a better place, in some way.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, if you take humanity (family, relationship) and spiritual sustenance ( religion, and your belief in jesus) out of the equation, you're taking pretty much everything out that makes us human and leaving yourself at the biological level, more or less.
you are asking: what is meaningful after i take the meaningful things out of the equation?
you're boxing yourself into a corner.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think the point is to do whatever you can in your life to make the world a better place, in some way.
Kind of understand and doing that, but everyone I come across in life wants something in that way!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi InAPickle

all I can do is contrast the years of my drinking and toking where I really couldn't find a point and I thought that as a human being I was lower than a snakes belly....

to now where I think the point is to live this life as fully and as completely as we can, because we never know when that time might be up.

This may be our own chance to do something.

Drinking and stuffing myself into a stupor everyday was barely existing,

This is living.

I also like myself a lot more now I'm not regularly poisoning myself too

Regarding Jesus - I'm grateful that He had a moment of doubt - that makes Him all the more human and relatable to me ...

The inportant part of that for me is He went along anyway and despite the fear He fulfilled his destiny.

That's a pretty good example to follow I reckon

D
Old 07-12-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
well, if you take humanity (family, relationship) and spiritual sustenance ( religion, and your belief in jesus) out of the equation, you're taking pretty much everything out that makes us human and leaving yourself at the biological level, more or less.
you are asking: what is meaningful after i take the meaningful things out of the equation?
you're boxing yourself into a corner.
I know now, been boxed into that corner the moment I was born, just never saw it for the first 40 years of life!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi InAPickle

all I can do is contrast the years of my drinking and toking where I really couldn't find a point and I thought that as a human being I was lower than a snakes belly....

to now where I think the point is to live this life as fully and as completely as we can, because we never know when that time might be up.

I also like myself a lot more now I'm not regularly poisoning myself.

Drinking and stuffing myself into a stupor everyday was barely existing,

This is living.

Regarding Jesus - I'm grateful that He had a moment of doubt - that makes Him all the more human and relatable to me ...

The inportant part of that for me is He went along anyway and despite the fear He fulfilled his destiny.

That's a pretty good example to follow I reckon

D
Sorry Dee to argue with you, but if it is truly as they say it is Jesus suffered up on a cross in a way that none of us could even imagine even if we were loaded completely with alcohol.

I'm not sure on the phase 'lower than a snakes belly' I don't know what you mean, I am an animal lover and even an insect lover, I don't like to see anything harmed, I believe everything on this planet has as much right to be here as ourselves, whatever it is!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also think that the point of living is to make things better for those who come after you. And to love is also good for the soul.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its Australian

lower than a snakes belly just meant I felt really low...I didn;t think I was worthy of a good life.

it's not suggesting any kind of hatred for animals or condoning animal abuse

So your point about Jesus is He suffered so we should suffer too?
or that we shouldn't complain about our suffering because it pales in comparison to His?

Not really getting what you mean?

D
Old 07-12-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I also think that the point of living is to make things better for those who come after you. And to love is also good for the soul.

I thought that as well, but history didn't, I guess this is because it is now!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What’s the point? You’re you, and you’re here. Isn’t that enough?

You get one shot at this life in this form. Don’t you want it to be the best that you could possibly make it? There are no do-overs.

I’m not very religious these days. All I know for sure is that I am here, alive, right now. That’s enough for me to want to make each moment the best that I can make it.

I want to live because I am alive. I don’t know how else to say it.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by InApickle View Post
So, my question.... Take family and religion out of the equation and what's the point?
I think the point is that alcohol does take all of those things out of the equation. At the end of my drinking career, the only thing I cared about was alcohol.

Once you get alcohol out of the way you can put all those things that matter back in place, and even find new ones that you never knew existed.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One may ask, what's the point of living with religion and family.
When I was deep into my drinking years, I didn't care about neither. And I felt they didn't care about me. So be it I'll drink myself to death. And I really did have religion and loved ones.
Not to contradict myself, but my point being alcoholism is a solitary endeavor when it comes down to it.

Solitary and selfish.
What's the point of living without those things? Life. Life itself.
Thousands commit suicide every day. For many reasons. Some more common than others.
I drank suicidaly. Death on the installment plan, and I damn near succeeded.
Now, I have religion. Not many loved ones, but I see and meet new people every day.

Nature. Nature to me is my life. I live it. I love it. It is against human nature to take one's own life when the struggle for survival is so imbedded in our nature.
In any hospital there are people with grave diseases struggling to survive. Who would give anything to live.
I'm truly blessed I went through hell and came out the other side.
Scared but smarter.
Now I take very little for granted. A squirrel. A smile from a stranger.
I've found life is beautiful.
And I may not have much in this world except faith
But I do have a choice every day. And I choose life.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InApickle View Post
Not that I am, but what if you really don't care at all anymore?

Yes their are things like family, friends etc to think of but what if you have already told them the same things.

After all life is not forever and something will get you in the end, I'm just caught up in the "what's the point" thing.

I believe in Jesus before someone says something along the religious lines but he struggled in the end as well.

You can't take family and religion out of the equation because both love you unconditionally whether you see that or not at this time. You are worth living, no matter what!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Besides the obvious; that drinking like we did made life an illusion and I wanted to see what was real again, well:

Drinking is terrible. It tastes terrible, it knocks out thinking and reason and wit and sanity, and it's crazy dangerous for everyone around you.

quit long enough and you'll wonder why you ever thought it was awesome. it's the opposite. It sucks.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm no longer a religious man so I'll say to you what Ive said to my son when he asked what's the point of life.

We don't know whats ahead for us after death and death may come at anytime. As such we must face the world as it is seek to be worthy of any judgement we may face either of God or men.

We owe duties to our families (to protect and provide) as they were before us and will be after us. So put them before anything else (including your own survival).

Next you owe duties to your community. Protect them even if it cost you your life. Seek to make it better starting with the little things first .

Lastly you owe a duty to yourself to be as much as you can be. Seek always to improve a little each day.

If you do these things you will have nothing to fear from life or death for you will have lived well and will be ready for what ever is asked of you.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think now that the point of life is to appreciate the gift that it is.

These are deeply personal beliefs that I will put down here so I hope you will bear with me.

I think we are spirits here in physical form, and although within this physical form we are limited, it is our spiritual form which is our true selves and far more divine, compassionate and powerful than we understand while here.

Physical form gives our true spiritual selves an experience we would not otherwise have - it is why the sensory physical experience can be so amazing and why experiencing love in the flesh so delicious at times.

What seems to us hardship on this physical plane is something we have chosen for ourselves for the experience of it.

Since you brought up Jesus, I have a personal belief about him too. The spiritual form of Jesus was one of the most exemplary ever to take human form. But his exemplary spirit is something we can all aspire to demonstrate while here. It is in fact one of the points of this physical experience.

When I was utterly down and out in my drinking, I did reach out to Jesus. It's not something I say very often even here on this forum. I asked him for help because I didn't know who else to ask. It's my belief that the extremely compassionate spirit embodied in the man Jesus did indeed help me.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The point?

Love, music, laughter, sunrises, sunsets, good food, beautiful nature, fresh air, long walks, warm flannel shirts ( ), floating in a canoe, the music of birds, dogs and cats, a hug from a friend, reaching out to help someone else, smiles....

I could go on...
Old 07-13-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
The point?

Love, music, laughter, sunrises, sunsets, good food, beautiful nature, fresh air, long walks, warm flannel shirts ( ), floating in a canoe, the music of birds, dogs and cats, a hug from a friend, reaching out to help someone else, smiles....

I could go on...
To add on to what Seren said...
hearing a great story, seeing the aurora borealis, feeling pride in accomplishing a goal, feeling the warmth of the sun on your face, marveling at inventions such as the internet, mastering a new skill...
Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

the thing is, jesus knew what was going to happen to him. the reason he struggled is important,too.

until the end, He had a purpose.

He didnt choose the date He was to die,too.