Glimpse of recovery

Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glimpse of recovery

I had an amazing moment in recovery today. I had an appointment with my therapist. I had told her a month ago that I could not continue with therapy because between my divorce and having a crappy insurance through my exah, I could not afford her fee. She called me in none the less. So I went to see her after a month. I was telling her all about my past and how I became so guarded and closed with my emotions early on in life and how I had stopped trusting anyone . I told her some pretty nasty things about me. When I was done with my session, she told me that I could pay her whatever i wanted till I was financially stable and she would continue to be my therapist. Here I was telling a person what I had become because of my past experiences and here was this person still willing to be nice to me. It opened my eyes to the fact that there are genuinely nice people out there who care , even when I tell them my character defects. I cried a lot after the session. I just have to be ok with being vulnerable with some people even when my fears stand in my way and not everyone will hurt me.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience when I was first in therapy. Due to my codependency, my whole life had imploded. I was in the middle of a divorce and set to move back into my condo, set to live on my own for the first time in my entire life. I told my therapist I just didn't know how I was going to manage it, and she cut my weekly fee in half. When she told me that she did not just do this job for money, I cried, too. I stayed in therapy for another four and a half years (that time, I'm back again after many years off), and it made all the difference in my life and healing.

Big hugs to you.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

((((hugs))))

All I thought I knew is getting flipped right-side up in many ways. So much good in the world!!

So very cool. Thank you for being here and for sharing this.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Raindrops, kudos to your therapist for doing that! It was so hard for me to open up and trust when I got into recovery. There are good compassionate people out there. Surround yourself with them! Warm hugs from Kansas!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

If there were not good and kind and altruistic people in this world, I would not even be here....