Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5

Old 03-18-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

St Pat's was another of those holidays like NYE and Christmas where lots of normies drink to excess so I enjoyed being able to bring my drinking more out in the open on a day like that, if that makes sense. There's no shame in morning drinking on St. Pats. Thankful that I can now pick my daughter up from a party at 10:00 pm on St. Pats night and not worry if I can find my car in my driveway.

Enjoy the card show FBL. I was never a huge country fan, but enjoy old Hank Williams immensely and the "Outlaw" country types like Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash. Enjoyed country influenced rock bands like New Riders of the Purple Sage back in the day, and bands like Wilco more recently. Blues with a steel guitar and fiddle.

Congrats on completing and competing in the race Carlos. Be careful pushing yourself, and your knees, to the point of permanent damage, lol.

Courage, find the strength to keep on keeping on. Make sure that you are sauve enough to CYA in these turbulent times. You and the family are always number one, and that is unfortunate at times to have to make those calls.

Gilmer, I love watching those old commercials. My mother would always say something like," Who has a bathtub like that" totally missing the point. Nowadays, tubs like that are used to sell legal pharmaceuticals to a more male driven audience.

Del, congrats on the new job. It is great that you have flexibility with child care. It will stink missing the kids, but a relief to be away from the parents. If they needed your services so badly, they could have offered to pay you a living wage to start with. There is no point starving to death while working 16 hours a day, if you know what I mean. You have to look out for number one.

Hope the hockey weekend is not too stressful Glee!

Have a good day all!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
My guess and hope are that you are working with some rather intelligent folks and their separation may be the start of something better for them, and you can press on to create some memorable headbanging music.
Yes. The environment is bad and will be bad for quite a while, probably, but the end won't matter much to anyone. Which is interesting in and of itself. Since they can't fire any of us, why this drawn-out nonsense under the banner of consensus (none) and transparency (none) to do what amounts to a shuffle-around? I believe 90% of the purpose is to create an atmosphere of anxiety.

So, here's to thoughtcrime!

SG -- I like Wilco too. & I still believe that half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. (NRPS)

FBL -- **Please** start a new game on Interactive Games -- What's FBL Listening to Now? Every day you can give us a decade (year?) and genre & starter song, and your devoted fans will follow your lead!

Congratulations on the new job, Deliza!

Congratulations on the race, Carlos!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
p***enger

Some of my friends sit around every evening
And they worry about the times ahead
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference
And the promise of an early bed
You either shut up or get cut up; they don't wanna hear about it
It's only inches on the reel-to-reel
And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools
Tryin' to anesthetize the way that you feel
Old 03-18-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Some of my friends sit around every evening
And they worry about the times ahead
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference
And the promise of an early bed
You either shut up or get cut up; they don't wanna hear about it
It's only inches on the reel-to-reel
And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools
Tryin' to anesthetize the way that you feel
Love me some Elvis C! Radio, Radio.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The card show was just so-so. The nice weather and a big show in Chicago may have kept some of the dealers away. Still, I picked up about 40 more cards for my 1972 Topps Baseball set. I still have a long way to go, but that's okay as the thrill is in the hunt. Will be attending yet another show next Sunday.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

FBL I think I'd like to live a day in the life of FBL. Or 3.

One day we should find a post that we can all meet at. Invite everyone here to come. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Gil, the one mom that I babysat for well over 200 hours a month, complained more often than not about how much she had to pay. $5 an hour was too much. I was charging that for 2 kids. She kept threatening to take her daughter out, in a very passive aggressive way, and put her back into day time day care like she did last summer. I told her, go ahead but I wouldn't be keeping her kids on because that was not financially feasible to me.
There has been more than one occasion when a simple inquiry to her has turned into hours and hours of ridiculous texting and trying to just deal with her rationally, which never lasted long with her and ended up with me having to defend myself. The worst time was when I asked about adding an extra snack in her older daughters lunch box for after school because they were always hungry. This turned into 14 FRIKKEN HOURS of non stop texting. I think I put up with 3 or 4 hours of it before I turned my ringer off and went to bed. The texts continued all through the night and into the morning. This was at the beginning of last September. This started off again with tax season and not having my receipts for her 2 months ago. I was not going back down that rabbit hole. Before the hours of crap texts from her, I just blocked her. I packed all her stuff up, and the receipts and dropped it outside her house.
So, it's tax season and these two families want their receipts RIGHTNOW.
I am floundering because I have to claim my sh^tty income as small business.
I have to do their receipts a certain way, I learn after wards of course. The straw that broke the camels back was looking at this mess of taxes I have to deal with, have these people now breathing down my neck and banging on the door and wondering why the hell I put myself through this to barely scrape by every month, put up with the parents crap, wonder if I am going to get paid or not, not having a set schedule or a life.
I do miss the kids. A lot. I am a bipolar/bpd/alcoholic. You learn to put up metal walls to things that hurt, if you can't run away from em. Grey areas don't exist very well in my world all the time.

I gave them their receipts. It was good enough for them to get their H&R taxes done with instant cash back which was what they wanted because it started on the 26th.
Now I've got a month or two? I think two because I'm classified as small business to file my taxes. I think after I sort out my expenses I will have barely cracked the poverty level, lol.
So not worth it!! I can't even afford to get my taxes done by an accountant. I have to just do the best I can with the forms and software I have and then get it rechecked when I can afford to.

W H A T E V E R

live and learn.
I am excited to be in sales. And the potential to really make a comfortable life for me and the kids.
Have a life again, get the kids in extracurriculars.
Swimming for little C is almost done. Mr. N has gotten his babysitters certificate, completed a swimming course, and now has a flyer route to make cash.

Things are going good. And some things not so good.
Such is life.

Carlos you are my running hero.
Glee you are the hockey mom I want to be again.
Gil you are the determined intellect I admire and want to emulate so much.
Courage. I want your snark and you need my duvet. I will make you a wall of pillows to bang your head against, ok? I hope that shiz gets better, sooner rather than later... it will. It always does.
SG, you work so hard and have been a great friend so I hope life on that side is treating you well.
And Dee, ever the beacon of light and wisdom.

I am grateful for you all.
I know I've missed so many people. But. Everyone here is pretty dang wonderful in their own way.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Getting an extra early start to my Monday.

Have a great one, gang!
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Love me some Elvis Costello too. I have seen him three times over a thirty year period and each show was great. Quite the lyricist.

This group here is amazing in that we can always share when our lives are going well and when our lives aren't going so well. We are all just trying to leave our little footprints in our area of the world and trying to do it without using the bottle. I am thankful for each of you here on POST and all of the life advice offered.

Best wishes for a good Monday everyone!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Nice posts Del & SG.

My serenity did not remain intact this weekend, even though I was with the much nicer team!! As expected there were some things that really got under my skin. I had to put myself in time out a couple of times. My older son’s teammates and their families are really supportive though. I noticed that even when my serenity was noticeably disgrupted, they still care. It’s ok that I’m not perfect (and dropped the ole F bomb on someone who was chattering inappropriately when a kid was down). They just cared that I was able to calm down and be ok. All I could think while surrounded by that grace was, what an amazing blessing amidst all the stress.

Things happen for a reason.

My son is on that team because 3 seasons ago he more or less wasn’t told he was t good enough to be on our town’s team. Well in a couple hours he’s going to try out for the organization that cast him aside. He wants to show them he belongs. I am SO PROUD of his determination.

Tryouts are tonight and tomorrow night and at the moment he’s having some doubts about himself. We are headed there now. Please send your good vibes his way.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Oh, I sure will! I hope he makes it with ease!

Personally, there is nothing I find more satisfying than to have people discount me—and then my proving them wrong!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glee, sounds like your son is determined. I'm sure he'll make it.

Did some tossing and turning last night. Have a nagging feeling that I missed something with the new book. It's at the printer and totally out of my hands now, but I won't be 100% satisfied until I see it in my hands. We are supposed to get it here the first week of April. I usually don't stress like this, but I lived with this thing for so long, that I can't help worrying about it.

Have a great Tuesday, all!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-post-6-a.html (The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #6)

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-20-2018 at 06:29 PM.