Notices

Corrie and sohard

Old 12-25-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi, Sohard. I'm hanging in there, thanks. Still... I know a lot of our Forum friends say it gets more difficult each time, but I think with me it's the opposite. I find the craving easier to deal with this time around. Also, my body seems to mend quicker and easier this time; perhaps because of the long sober gap I had before falling off the wagon the last time?
In anyway... Busy fighting my demons all by myself. Spent Christmas with my dogs and cat. Also, it's summer in South Africa, and we've been having a on-off heatwave in Pretoria for the last more than a month. Temperatures well into the late thirties (Celsius) is normal. About 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I really don't like summer; I'm one for cold and/or rainy days and nights. I hope you're well and are having a great festive season.
Corrie
Old 12-25-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
Hi, Sohard. I'm hanging in there, thanks. Still... I know a lot of our Forum friends say it gets more difficult each time, but I think with me it's the opposite. I find the craving easier to deal with this time around. Also, my body seems to mend quicker and easier this time; perhaps because of the long sober gap I had before falling off the wagon the last time?
In anyway... Busy fighting my demons all by myself. Spent Christmas with my dogs and cat. Also, it's summer in South Africa, and we've been having a on-off heatwave in Pretoria for the last more than a month. Temperatures well into the late thirties (Celsius) is normal. About 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I really don't like summer; I'm one for cold and/or rainy days and nights. I hope you're well and are having a great festive season.
Corrie
Corrie, so glad you're hanging in too. Whew. As far as whether it gets easier or harder, I'm glad for you this quit has been a bit easier. Thank god. For me, it depends moment by moment. I was elated and riding high from making it through the past 2 days, but I just felt like congratulating myself with a bottle of wine (I can't even pretend it'd be a glass). My AV is going nuts, but I will not listen to it. It started to whisper "You've been so successful, maybe you're not an alcoholic and don't need to quit?! Even if you are, perhaps start fresh January 1?!" It certainly is a roller coaster. I look fwd to the day when things slow down (I have to assume they do). I'm thrilled to hear you're good!

Wow, I've always wanted to visit South Africa. 100degrees sounds great to me!
Old 12-26-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad to see you both doing so well--I found overall it gets easier too
as more time passes.

Having a sober Xmas and New Year's really means something, however. . .
That's a tough time to quit, but the results in terms of growth are great.

I'm sitting here shivering in the midst of an Arctic Blast from the North
feeding wood into the woodstove (no central heat) and wishing for
a bit of hot weather at the moment Corrie. . .
Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hawkeye. I will stick it out this time, I know. I simply have to.
Gods, I envy you your weather; I love the cold.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How're you doing Corrie?!? I'm day 26 (although I'm not really counting but I have a "sober tracker" on my phone ). That was just one of the many pieces of advice I gleamed from this website. It's nice - I know something is keeping track but I don't have to count...instead, I get to just sort of try to forget about it and live my life.

I'm hanging in. I don't know why, but I always have loved wine most in the winter, particularly when it is FREEZING, like it currently is in the northeast, where I am. So, it's very tough tonight (I almost convinced myself I could moderate!), but I'm grateful I know I'll make it.

And you?!? How is all in Africa?! Hope you're okay!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Awesome, so hard!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Awesome, so hard!
Thanks, Sassy! As each day passes, it gets minutely easier. I NEVER though I’d make it this long, so I’m inspired to keep going. I had a snow day today so didn’t have to go to work (I’m a teacher), and it was simply unbelievable I had no wine last night. The old me would’ve been thrilled to get the “snow text” last night at 8:00pm and would’ve called out to have another bottle of wine delivered (yes, I would get wine delivered so I didn’t have to stop drinking the one I had already bought thinking one would be enough). So awful!!!! It was SO nice to have the whole day not hungover and to enjoy! Honestly, I’d been hungover for so many years, I didn’t even realize I was hungover - I honestly thought everyone felt that way every day!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That seems to be a hallmark of this thing, the needing to get more because we are really that deep in denial about how much we are going to need to drink to get our fill. Every single time in my last few months, I underestimated my "need." Ugh. No going back to that! Its over!