Notices

Day 1

Old 12-11-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sohard, I tried to stop drinking year upon year. At the end, I’d lost things, some never recoverable, previously I’d placed myself in dangerous situations, when I was lucky. I’d also suffered broken ankles, wrists, metatarsals......because of drinking accidents.

I acquired and read a bookshelf of addiction books, viewed YouTube, researched the process of addiction, got a sponsor/s and worked AA steps, tried hypnotherapy, attended church, prayed, performed CBT etc., then joined SR, desparately, looking for a way to taper without attending a doctor, to keep it off my records in the UK.

Here on SR, some folks down in Secular Subforum gave me hope. I grasped that hope and took a leap of faith: that I had the power to quit drinking, forever.

My life is now transforming since stopping drinking, I know deep in my soul, that I’ll never drink again, and with that comes great peace and power. I now apply some neuroscience proven actions to tilt any non-drinking related residual negative thoughts, to a more positive bias. To include excercise, meditation, Mindfulness, gratitude lists, watching comedy programs, art, music, good nutrition etc. BUT, my sobriety is completely independent and separate from these actions, in that, if I stop all these actions......the one action that is my solid foundation and set in concrete, is “I will not drink, ever”; and I hold that fact as precious and life affirming. It all began with a spark of hope, that was fanned by others on SR.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Forgot to add, if as Sassy said, you may appreciate some f2f company and support, there’s AA, LifeRing, Refuge Recovery and SMART Recovery, dependant upon availability in your area.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

For me it was all about my triggers. I am smart enough to know many of them. But, when I get worn down either fighting or running the only escape was to drink. I have learned that I am still learning.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm giving it my damnedest this time. I think what I have to keep in the forefront of my mind is FEAR. This could end in death if I won't stop. I am stopped now, and therefore there will be no easier time to stay stopped than now. Staying stopped is easier than getting back on the vicious cycle on/off again. I'm frightened and want to remain this way. An SR friend told me to hang on for 100 days and then I'll see things more clearly, being that far away from my last drink. So, that is what I am hanging on to for now. Then I'll go from there. Thank you all for your support. I really do appreciate it. My plan is to update the days each day on this site so I can see progress. I really can't wait until I can write "day 365".
Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
Hi, Sohard. Day 2 here, and so very, very angry and disappointing with myself. 47 days and then a 4 day binge; 7 days ans another 6 day binge.
Hey Corrie, put up a new thread and keep checking in.

So hard, hope you’re hanging in there.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm giving it my damnedest this time. I think what I have to keep in the forefront of my mind is FEAR. This could end in death if I won't stop. I am stopped now, and therefore there will be no easier time to stay stopped than now. Staying stopped is easier than getting back on the vicious cycle on/off again. I'm frightened and want to remain this way. An SR friend told me to hang on for 100 days and then I'll see things more clearly, being that far away from my last drink. So, that is what I am hanging on to for now. Then I'll go from there. Thank you all for your support. I really do appreciate it. My plan is to update the days each day on this site so I can see progress. I really can't wait until I can write "day 365".
Sounding good. I’m not at 100 days myself. Sometimes it’s tough. I keep going and stay real close to SR. Hugs.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
Hi, Sohard. Day 2 here, and so very, very angry and disappointing with myself. 47 days and then a 4 day binge; 7 days ans another 6 day binge.
Corriec - Okay, let's start this AGAIN. We can do this - I'm sure of it. We'll begin together. We'll count each day as we go. I'm a bit competitive, so maybe this will help us. Also, you've been sober 54 of the past 64 days. Well done!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 2. Okay, this is a real start.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How’s day 3 going?