Notices

Vivitrol

Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol

Hi! I’m wondering if anyone has any experience/feedback about Vivitrol injections? Bonus points if anyone has had gastric bypass and has experience?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share dearone - but welcome

D
Old 11-20-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That would be me.

Gastric bypass in 2010, my first transfer addiction was shopping.

About 2 years ago the new transfer addiction became alcohol and it escalated fast fueled by a high profile high stress career in health care administration.

Once I hit my personal rock bottom, being an RN, I went to my M.D. who was phenomenal. She referred me to a nurse practitioner specializing in mental health and addiction. She's awesome!

She prescribed Naltrexone which is the oral form of Vivitrol and it has been a miracle drug for me with no side effects.

She has encouraged Vivitrol stating that it is more effective however I'm fine on Naltrexone so I'm staying with that unless it stops working.

Ask me anything!
Old 12-26-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dearone View Post
Hi! I’m wondering if anyone has any experience/feedback about Vivitrol injections? Bonus points if anyone has had gastric bypass and has experience?
My fiance had rny surgery in 2000. By 2005 he was in full blown alcoholism. He was a drinker prior to surgery, but he could control it. In 2005, his marriage ended, depression set in. In 2008, he went to jail because of alcohol (DUI). In 2011, his doctor tried vivitrol injections. Was told he would get very sick if he drank on the med. He had to test the waters and drank. Nothing bad happened. He ended up in jail again, rehab, house arrest and is currently back in jail for a probation violation on DUI. With being in jail, they encourage inmates with addiction problems to voluntarily take control to help with addition control when released.
With the gastric bypass, you absorb alcohol much faster and process it totally different. It takes very little alcohol for him to go into a blackout and not know what he is doing or how long his run is.
When he comes off the alcohol, he goes into dt's. He's had seizures, cardiac arrest and gastric bleeding caused by the alcohol.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SR Kayleenandymeme
you'll find a lot of support here

D