Notices

Facebook is pushing moderation on me

Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Moderation was when I didn't wake up in the hospital.

-allan
Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just tried the FB Purity and put in key words of things I don't want to see including, alcohol-moderation-wine-recovery programs in that section. Interested to see how it changes the stuff I get in everything I chose to hide.

Side note back to main question/OP - I took a break from FB and am now on in recovery. I don't have people who aren't generally positive, and people I actually know, and flat out ignore the crap. I manage a recovery group page and post often there and on my page about my recovery because I am now "out" in all circles, so FB is still very relevant for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
totfit

You can if you see an ad like this, "opt out" and say you would not like to see them anymore. I think the vast majority of folks that are at a point which they feel they need to moderate and not good candidates. Years ago I followed a Moderation forum as an "Abstient" person. For the majority of those that were attempting moderation, it seemed a heck of a lot more trouble, work and effort only to miss their goals repeatedly and suffer concequences. I think for most and know for me abstinece is the "easier softer way. I just chuckle now when I see anything that seems to encourage me to take a drink as it is just ridiculous to consider.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just deactivated my Facebook account, probably temporarily, just to be able to work harder on mindfulness and not keep staring at my friends and family drinking sensibly. Something I am unable to even consider!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post

I don't have any doubts that abstinence is right for me. I have tried moderation and failed many times. It's just my AV playing a few tricks on me to make me think I can drink safely.

I don't have any doubts that abstinence is the only choice for me, too. Being able to drink safely isn't a factor in that decision, the AV is like "wwhhhaaaat?!", too bad for IT
Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have never had a FB account and I don't really ever visit it as a guest, lurker or whatever.

I'm on FB a good bit because my wife likes to post pictures of us.

I am rather shocked that your entry or comments on FB would result in your receipt of advertising relating to moderation.

It sounds like something which would come from the spirits industry.

This forum and a few for other interests of mine (e.g. music blogs) are the closest I come to being on social media.

I put no stock in moderation for someone who is a true alcoholic based on what I have witnessed over the years (primarily funerals).
Old 09-26-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I seem to alternately get "suggested pages" of rehabs & breweries, which just goes to show how smart their algorithms are.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I can see where FB could become another addiction. I limit myself to about 15 minutes per day. Works for me. As for their marketing...every time you do a search on your computer, somebody, somewhere is keep track. Just the way it is today.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Moderation is not an option for alcoholics. It works for heavy drinkers. Most of us quit drinking for good only after realizing we cannot moderate.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
quat

Moderation would work for anyone, if they did it. It works best for people who don't 'do it' on purpose, those for whom intoxication isn't the goal.

It does not work for quitters, not because a strict limit isn't physically possible to achieve but because it isn't quitting.

Quitting works, guaranteed.

Moderation is an AV term for more booze.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think there is also a way in FB settings to adjust if ads are selected from your surfing/clicking habits. I hated when ads were chosen for my feed based on my viewing choices. I believe you can also select the specific ad and choose to block it by clicking on options at the top right of ad posting.

Moderation doesn't work for me either. I've known that for a while, but the other night I lost my resolve and told myself I could handle it. Ughhh I knew better. Drove to the bar after work, but decided not to park or go in. Went home and wrestled with my thoughts for over an hour, then went to the bar. It's good that you are aware of how the ads are affecting you and staying resolved to not moderate, if that's your goal.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Did you drink Sunbaby?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yes, leanabeana. disappointed in myself. I felt so strong for 8 days.. day 2 now.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Don't worry Sunbaby. You are back on track now. Keep coming back.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
09/26/2015

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

The title of your thread is a bit concerning as well. Facebook cannot "push" you to do anything you don't want to do. You ultimately make all decisions and choices as to how you want to live your life - not an electronic social media outlet.

I personally quit using facebook about 5 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. There's a lot better ways to spend your time.
I completely agree, I stopped all Facebook and all social media activity. Besides getting clean it was on of the best decision I have made thus far
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
09/26/2015

It all goes in the same category (IMO) of using methadone or suboxin to wean off 'script pills and heroin. You can get a completely narotic free detox and be fine, honestly I believe the worse thing about getting off drugs is the mental and emotinal issues. They can be way worse then physical. I have had to go completely cold turkey a few times in jail. It was HORRIBLE I mean the worst thing I have ever gone through.

People need to realize (again IMO) that it is up to the person whether they want it or not. I am not responsible for my addiction but I am responsible for my reovery.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Moderation works for a lot of people. Otherwise nearly every former college graduate would be in recovery. Instead they are called normies. I've also known normie cokeheads and opiate users that have a slight recreational habit that remains steady for years.

When you're honest with yourself and others, if you are an alcoholic/addict you will know this approach won't work for you. Especially if you've been through multiple turns of the relapse wheel.

If friends ask me if I think they have a problem, I generally say only they can answer that question, and suggest that they stop drinking for 90 days. If they can easily do this without white knuckling and craving, then they probably don't have a problem.