Notices

Car accident & earthquake

Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Car accident & earthquake

Hi all..

I guess my title is weird but it's what brought me to this forum.

A few weeks ago I was in a car accident, at night. The street lights were out and I collided with another car. I was not hurt and the other driver was not hurt, thank God. His car was totaled. Mine was damaged but it's being repaired.

So nothing terrible happened but I'm now very anxious about driving, especially at night. I've done it but it's difficult.

And that earthquake near Mexico City - my daughter and granddaughter live pretty close to there. Nothing happened to them or their home. Actually the baby slept through it. But the pictures from there, people trapped - it is horrific. I live in California so earthquakes are inevitable. Odds of them having results like in Mexico City are low and I've never worried before but now I do.

So thinking of these things can really freak me out and I feel not normal, like I want to control the uncontrollable, to feel safe.

Any suggestions?

Btw I do not take any medications, I rarely drink, never use drugs. I see a holistic practitioner and he is helpful. I work long hours and it is sometimes stressful but it's also a supportive environment.

I don't want to be afraid.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry about your accident and the earthquake affecting your loved ones.

I've known people go to therapy for a lot less than that.
Would that be an option for you 53500 ?

D
Old 09-23-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PERFECTLY normal to be anxious about driving again, your brain is recognizing driving as a danger and sending you anxious signals. My parents and best friend were in a serious accident and nearly lost their lives, my dad had ptsd from it and couldn't even LOOK at a car without having a panic attack......now he drives everywhere

If the anxiety is overwhelming for you then cbt therapy will work wonders for you...your gonna be just fine I PROMISE you
Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee - thanks for replying. Therapy is an option, I've done it before and know someone I like but he's rather far from me now....I was thinking of asking him if he does it by Skype.

Chilledice -thanks so much for your reassurance. I'm so sorry about that accident but very encouraged to hear your dad got past it! Thanks for the suggestion of CBT, it seems promising. I'll see if anyone nearby does that. Did your dad get that?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Dee - thanks for replying. Therapy is an option, I've done it before and know someone I like but he's rather far from me now....I was thinking of asking him if he does it by Skype.

Chilledice -thanks so much for your reassurance. I'm so sorry about that accident but very encouraged to hear your dad got past it! Thanks for the suggestion of CBT, it seems promising. I'll see if anyone nearby does that. Did your dad get that?
Yes he had a local therapist appointed to him via his GP, it's fairly simple to get a therapisy here in the UK, just ask the doctor and they set it all up.

I'm not sure where you live, but do you get free healthcare?
Old 09-24-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Chilledice, I live in California, no I don't get free healthcare.

I looked around a bit for people who do CBT. There are many. The cost varies quite a bit. Some take insurance (which I have) and some don't. I'd just assume I have to pay the full cost. For the right person it's worth it.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you and your loved ones are good.

I used to have horrible anxiety about night driving, but, after a few years sober, I became comfortable about almost any kind of driving, with the exception of long, long bridges, which I still get through, but with a little anxiety during the process.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I'm glad you and your loved ones are good.

I used to have horrible anxiety about night driving, but, after a few years sober, I became comfortable about almost any kind of driving, with the exception of long, long bridges, which I still get through, but with a little anxiety during the process.
Thank you, that's encouraging. Was not being sober the cause of your anxiety? I don't like bridges or tunnels. Never have.