Notices

Sober....but depressed.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
I am already on medication for anxiety/depression. Was doing well but when I quit drinking it all came down on me.
It's definitely worth a visit to your Dr. again. He/she may need to switch up your meds. It's possible what you are on is not doing the trick and if you've already been on them and drank as well, they don't work like they are supposed to anyway. Just stopping the drinking doesn't always make everything better. In fact the first few months are really hard for most people. I say give it some more time, see your Dr. and continue to really work the steps. Most of all...hang in there and don't drink. Depression can really suck. You have our support!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's me today
Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great thread thank you. I've had depression and anxiety for 30 years on and off. I'm on Meds but now in 3rd 4th week sober I feel really down and depressed. So tired too and everything feels like such an effort.

I have no answers sorry but it's so helpful to read from people with long term sobriety. I know it does ease as had 3 years sober and was fine. It just feels like it's never going to let up in the early days.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was a binge drinker. Maybe every couple of weeks for a few years. I would quit for a few months every now and then.
However it was getting bad at the beginning of the year where I'd have 2-3 day binges and I knew I had to stop that.
I've been reading the AA literature and doing the meetings. Counselling, reading online, tons of exercise.

I still can't accept the fact that I'm "never going to drink again". I want to drink. I miss it.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hold on like your life depends on it. Because it does. I remember when I first got sober I sat on one corner of the couch.. just sat there. Sometimes for a long time . Sometimes with my I pad. Sometimes just sitting with my depression and loneliness. I didn't want to run from it anymore. So I sat there day after day. I felt shell shocked.. like I had no idea what to do with myself or my time. I went to meetings. Did 90 in 90. The best thing I've ever done.after about that time I started to feel better. Point is. It takes a while a month is great. Give it a few more!!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by pooky View Post
Hold on like your life depends on it. Because it does. I remember when I first got sober I sat on one corner of the couch.. just sat there. Sometimes for a long time . Sometimes with my I pad. Sometimes just sitting with my depression and loneliness. I didn't want to run from it anymore. So I sat there day after day. I felt shell shocked.. like I had no idea what to do with myself or my time. I went to meetings. Did 90 in 90. The best thing I've ever done.after about that time I started to feel better. Point is. It takes a while a month is great. Give it a few more!!
I don't know what to do with myself either. I have basically been sleeping 10 hours a night during the week and sleeping about 16 on the weekend plus a naps.
How? Depression is crazy.
Of course that effects my relationship as well, since I'm either at the gym, a meeting, or asleep.
I'm no fun anymore.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's been good suggestions in this thread.
Do any resonate with you anarock?

D
Old 09-23-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Samantha

A lot of the suggestions make sense. I can understand then.
Of course, depression makes it hard to do anything. I've been concentrating on my physical health a lot, since it was so so poor.
I need to get my mental health in check now.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Maybe its as simple as your body needs sleep. I slept an enormous amount in my first 2 months. I had totally worn out my body leading up to that point.

Humans have amazing bodies. Listen to it when it's telling you something!
It wants to heal,itself!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
A lot of the suggestions make sense. I can understand then.
Of course, depression makes it hard to do anything. I've been concentrating on my physical health a lot, since it was so so poor.
I need to get my mental health in check now.
I believe a lot of us thought like this, like we drank because of our poor health, or mental state, so we set out to fix what we can see, not realising that poor physical and mental health is the result of the drinking. Kinda getting the cart before the horse.

There is a passage in the big book stating our experience with this. It has to do with when we begin to address our spiritual condition with step four. It says: " When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically."

I saw in an earlier post that you still want to drink. I am not trying to talk you out of that. If you want to drink, that is your business. Any thought that one day you can drink safely like other people always undermines recovery, so it would be a waste of time trying to sell you on sobriety if you didnt really want it.

There was a chain of events like this for me;

I wanted to drink, so I drank
I didn't want to drink, but I drank anyway.
I didn't want to drink, and I didn't want a spiritual solution which I thought would never work for me. So I drank
I didn't want to drink and I didn't want a spiritual solution, but I did it anyway, and I recovered.

And it turned out to be true, once I got on the spiritual path, the physical and mental issues largely resolved themselves.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This whole year has been on/off for me.
I was sober from march- June. Drank a bit July-August (after vacation) and now I've been sober since some time in august.
Last night was my five year anniversary and we went to a restaurant, which we NEVER do so it was special. I really really wanted wine or champagne to celebrate but I didn't order any and I was just sad and quiet the rest of the night.
My boyfriend is getting sick of me going to bed so early and not wanting to talk about anything. Because really, being depressed about being sober sounds ridiculous.
I'm just really having a hard time with it.