Notices

Alcoholism after Bariatric Surgery

Old 08-21-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
In other words, performing the surgery may very well constitute medical malpractice.
I think that's probably somewhat of a stretch but you could certainly consult with an attorney on it. There are a whole host of potential hazards with any surgery....infection, recurrence, mistakes, etc.

One could also suggest that many of those who have the bariatric procedure were addicts before they had the surgery so they just transferred their addction to something else.

I think the bottom line is that no one truly knows what causes addiction...we can make guessses, but there is no 100 infallible truth. We all know what the solution is though...regardless of why or how we became addicts.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I also had gastric surgery in 2009 and went from barely ever drinking never being in trouble my entire life to being a non functional all out alcoholic in 2013 with a dui conviction. Not to mentioned failed relationships caused by my drinking. No friends left and family as well. I did one stint in rehab and going to another in October. I have also looked into addiction transference. I'm so thankful I have never tried drugs or who knows where I would be.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think that's probably somewhat of a stretch but you could certainly consult with an attorney on it. There are a whole host of potential hazards with any surgery....infection, recurrence, mistakes, etc.

One could also suggest that many of those who have the bariatric procedure were addicts before they had the surgery so they just transferred their addction to something else.

I think the bottom line is that no one truly knows what causes addiction...we can make guessses, but there is no 100 infallible truth. We all know what the solution is though...regardless of why or how we became addicts.
Very good point Scott. I had bariatric surgery a few years ago but I was an addict prior to my surgery. I lost weight but didn't lose the bottle. There are studies that show transference is very real. I do know addicts that say that it is a digestive absorption issue and because the effects of alc or drugs are not fully absorbed by the body it causes them to have to drink more and more. I never experienced that. I have coping issues. That's why I drink. Plain and simple. I hope the best for you happyface. Bariatric surgery and the weight loss is tough enough. IM me if you would like happy face. I know what you're going through.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I completely agree that addiction is addiction. If we could deal with our addictions when they come. I just thought I weighed 340lbs was just cuz I ate too much.Took me a long time to realize food was an addiction too. Sadly was too late. I never ever thought in my life I'd be an alcoholic. At 40 yrs old I thought I was safe from my families problems with addictions. Cause they were drugs and alcohol and I never did those. Look where I am now heading to my 2nd inpatient rehab in 4 years.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Too many people think that it could never happen to them....i was one of them. So judgemental...until it happened to me.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's me. Surgery in 2010, just started battling alcohol addiction.