Calicofish/ My Story

Old 07-30-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Calicofish/ My Story

The Recovery of Calicofish

February 24, 2015 was the day of my recovery. I lay holding my dying dog, and with a bloated, tear-stained face I vowed I would never drink again, and I would never change my mind, no matter what.

I would say I always had a problem with alcohol from the first time I ever drank (at 14 years of age at a wedding). It was magic to me. I didn’t drink because of any trauma – I drank because it just gave me deep pleasure. It eased many social situations, aches, pains, heartaches, good times, well – just about everything. I always drank more than most people. I loved the feeling. It seemed to give me confidence and inspiration. It helped me talk to people, alleviated boredom and I liked the taste, especially dry, red wines. Although my alcohol consumption was more than the average person, I was a binge drinker in the early years and didn’t always drink every weekend. I never drank during the week. But when I did drink, it was always to excess and most times I would be drunk. I did a lot of things under the influence that I would never have done sober. Foolish things, like sleeping around (because I was looking for love) putting myself in dangerous situations (fortunately nothing bad ever happened). I never had a DUI, never fired from work due to drinking – I was just a garden variety drunk. Usually happy, life of the party. This type of drinking went on for about 20 years.

When I hit my 40s, things changed. My hangovers were always awful (vomiting, head and body aches), but now I was not recovering as quickly and my drinking was escalating. I was now drinking practically every weekend. I was in a very miserable, childless marriage. Before, I used to drink for fun – now, I was drinking to blot out the misery of my marriage. And, I was now starting to drink alone. The usual routine between my ex and I was to buy 6 bottles of wine on Friday. We’d try different brands and years (I really liked that part of drinking). The plan was to drink 2 bottles per evening split between the two of us. I found that after we’d opened and finished the 2nd bottle, I was wanting to open a 3rd. Sometimes my ex would be all for it, but often he’d be angry and upset with me for opening a 3rd. I would always try to pour a bit more into my glass and sometimes, when he’d go off to the washroom I’d take a gulp out of his glass before he returned. I then found myself buying the regular 2 bottles but also a 3rd “secret” one. This way I could have more without my ex knowing (or so I thought).

We shared bank accounts, so I’d have to figure out a way to come up with cash to pay for this extra wine without him noticing. I would find myself scrounging around for change, bringing back bottles, or taking out a few extra bucks here and there to buy some cheap wine. We made our own wine for a few years so I was able to steal from the carboy too.

After awhile I got my own credit card, so I was able to buy wine without him knowing. It would never be a huge amount because I had to use our bank account to pay off my credit card bill and so I had to make it look like I was just buying odds and ends. Of course, I also started to alternate liquor stores (I live in Canada) and happened to live in a small city so there was around 6 different liquor stores on my rotation. Since we lived in the country, it was up to us to return our recycles (and we would cash for that) – it was my job to go the recycle place. I’d usually come out of that place with around $30 (because in Canada we pay a deposit on many things that can be recycled). So yippee – I could buy 3 bottles of wine for my “stash”.

My ex and I were estranged for years. I had my own bedroom – and I could drink my wine alone in my room (stashed beside the bed) and pass out. He go off to work (I worked from home) so I could nurse hangovers and get rid of the evidence and just repeat the same process in the evening. I also had my own room in the back of the house where I’d paint and watch TV – and of course drink wine.

I’m sure he knew and every so often he’d find some of my stash. He never actually confronted me. It was a miserable way to live. A loveless marriage. Two people in the same house just going through the motions. I hated my life and the more I hated the more I drank.

A couple weeks before Christmas 2013 my ex and I had the stupidest fight over one of our cats. I stormed out of the house and went and slept at a neighours. That night I made up my mind that I was leaving , after 3 decades, my marriage. It had been over for years and we had been in the death throes. There was no point continuing in what was so miserable for both of us. I left Feb. 2014 with a few possessions my two precious dogs and drove 3,000 kms to start a new life.

Between Feb. 2014 and 2015 my life was utter chaos and I was circling the drain. My drinking ramped up from wine to whiskey EVERY night. My blood pressure was soaring, my weight was up. I was bloated, red faced and nursing hangovers every morning. I had a tremor in my hands and I was starting to take little sips in the morning to just feel normal. I was killing myself and knew that I had to quit or die.

I moved a couple of times that year finally ending up in a small Ontario town and I knew not a soul. My family lived in another province and all I had was my two dogs. No one knew me here and I could have continued to drink with abandonment but I chose to quit.

I quit – no AA, no meetings, no steps, no higher power. I read about AVRT and made my big plan. Joined SR and slowly got my life back on track. It was simple but not easy. I never had to face another Day 1 if I never drank again. My problems didn’t disappear – there was no magic, but little by little I was able to cope with problems and work on solutions. I rented a house, got some furniture and made a home for myself and my dogs. My sweet girl died in my arms 6 weeks after I quit drinking. I was present for her and I mourned her passing and felt everything.

It's been a bit over 2 years since I became sober and I’ve had many challenges – friends and loved ones have died, birthdays, first Christmas totally alone, making new friends, being fired from a job, finding a new job, coping with stress and anxiety, trying to find bliss and joy. I’m lonely and would love a special friend in my life, but that person has not appeared (yet). My separation is official now. I’ve rekindled my love of music and playing guitar. I have reconnected with old girlfriends.

And now, I sit and hold my other beloved dog who has just been diagnosed with cancer and will be present for her to the end.

Last edited by Opivotal; 07-30-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Title