Surround Yourself with Positive People

Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

We ALL need to do this. I think this also means get rid of the negative people from your life.

By Amanda Pasciucco, MFT at Therapy by Amanda, LLC

Do you know the saying "misery loves company?" Think about the people that you currently surround yourself with. What are they like? Joyous, happy, and filled with life? Depressed, anxious, or pessimistic? When you look to the people around you, realize that these people are a reflection of and reflect on you. The people that you associate with, the way in which they live, their attitudes, and their style of living have an extreme influence on your attitude and actions.

It's extremely important to surround yourself with positive people and people that you aspire to be like. If you surround yourself with people who are negative, do not support you and do not value themselves, these people will also hold you back. Although you may not be consciously aware of it, these people will have a dramatic affect on your mindset. You only have so much of yourself to give, so why give of yourself to people who do not help you to continually grow?

Being around positive people will make you feel good! Positive people are there to offer emotional support and encouragement in your life. When people view the world positively, they see life as a gift to make the most of what they have. This quality will spread to you if you also begin to associate with people who think positively. Instead of people who complain, positive people are always looking for joy within life, even when they are going through a tough time. Research shows that people who are positive or associate with positive people are actually healthier and more successful financially. When you are with encouraging people, your stress decreases and you will be able to relax more. With low levels of stress, your body will actually be physically healthier. When you surround yourself with positive people, they will make your life more fun and actually "pump" you up. They will actually give you the energy to accomplish your goals. Similarly, positive people are more likely to get job recognition and promotions, thus making them more financially successful.

Watch out for "chronic complainers." These people constantly moan about their problems and actually will wear you down with their negativity. People who constantly complain want others to absorb their negative energy and take on some of their negativity. Make sure you set an example for these types of people by sending them positive messages instead of getting sucked into their depressed moods.

The key to success can be found through positive people who appreciate life and being happy. These people like to live in the moment and get joy from helping others. If you begin to surround yourself with people like this, you will see that you begin to improve the quality of your own life. Since the people that you choose to be around have a tremendous impact on your moods, it is alright to be picky when choosing friends. Even if you tend to be a negative person, being around people who are positive will help to alter the way in which you live your life.

Rather than getting what you give, give what you get. When you surround yourself with negative people and continuously get negativity, you start to give negativity. Surround yourself with people who are positive, you will give positive energy to those around you.

Therefore, the tip of the week is to seek out people in your life who exude positivity.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post! I agree completely. Environment does matter. That includes upbeat people who are living life. Sobriety rocks!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOVE IT!!!! I have been doing this for almost 2 years and it works.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kind of giggled at this because... on Facebook, I follow two motivational authors because I love their outlook on life. That is, most of the time. I also have days when seeing their upbeat updates makes me wish they'd spill hot coffee on their clean shirtfront before 8 am. LOL

One thing this reminded me of is that saying that it's not what happens to you, it's how you react to it. I have two dear friends who right now are in real difficult situations. They cry. They panic. They scream. But they've got a forward drive. Like that quote in my sig: If you're going through hell, keep going.

That's positive to me. That's contagious to me. That's a little bit like running (which I used to do 40 lbs ago and will do again in -25 pounds) where the last mile of a race, it's all will. You don't see the goal, everything in your body is screaming at you to lay down, give up, stop, don't do this to me -- but you hold on to the goal by faith and keep running ANYWAY. Even though it hurts. Even though it makes no sense right now.

Thank you for this post. I needed the reminder this morning.