Notices

bad dream reflects my mental state

Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

bad dream reflects my mental state

woke up out of a dream that I'd just been fired from a new job assignment. I'd been given a two day crash course in my job requirements and my trainer left me alone to do the job myself. I couldn't do it, couldn't get it right, kept backtracking to get things done and wasn't getting anything done or done right.

The trainer came back to find a mess and I was fired. the job was a compilation of several jobs I've had over the years: factory work, a nursing home job, and a couple others. (my dog was even in the dream!)

Under a lot of stress lately and the brakes just went out on my car and no money to fix them. A lot of situations going on over which I have no control. Feeling in a panic about these events and needs and unable to do anything to remedy them.

Some of my coworkers were friends (more were not) and were sympathetic to my situation but no one was willing to stand up in my defense. An odd thing was: the trainer/boss was a famous movie star, now dead, who was well known for his kindness and patience! (none of which he displayed in his 'dream role')

Very easy to see my life reflected in this dream: everything out of my control and being 'blamed' for what I could not do/do right. No one to defend me and being sent away in disgrace from my only source of income. After being fired I was rushing around trying to return items to their correct places but failing miserably. Woke up in a state of anxiety and fear and desperation.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

anxiety dreams suck

hope you feel better...........
Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Another one reflecting my messed mental state. Only this one was in 'real time' with real people. My ex bf and I had split up only this time HE got the kids cause of my mental illness. My daughter the Diplomat was quick to defend me against her dad, defying his making fun of me. Oddly enough, the youngest daughter was not her real age, but was only five yrs old and thought it was fun to go off with her dad and leave mom.

Odd how these things come out in sleep that do not intrude during waking hours...
Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Least,

Sorry to hear about your dreams.

Once I had a dream like yours, that I made a mess and was fired. I asked my therapist what it meants and she said the dream reflected my fear of the workplace or a fear of being competent.

Tiger, dreams of tornedos and earthquakes may reflect loss of control over one´s life, as these are external things of which we have no control.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In a bad state of anxiety today. I somehow managed to go back to sleep for a couple hours only to wake up out of a scary dream that I was becoming physically paralyzed. Could not make myself move right, was awkward and clumsy and just couldn't do it.

My mom and kids and a very old friend were in the dream. Mom was trying to help but was doing just the opposite of what I wanted to do. The kids were making a huge mess and I was trying to clean it up but failing miserably.

I felt betrayed by my own body and was crying desperately, trying to 'do' but not being able to. Could barely communicate what I wanted to say.

Woke up scared and anxious. This surely does reflect my mental state, which is not good lately.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh, Least, HUGS! I am sorry.
I also struggle with insomnia and nightmares that are too vivid and upsetting to allow any real rest.
I also am very tired of waking up scared and or anxious.
It really does get to be just too wearing!
I am going to go pick up a new medication today (non-addictive) that was prescribed to me for anxiety and insomnia.
I will let you know if it helps.
I do avoid caffeine and that does make a difference for me.
I know you drink chamomile...that helps me relax but does not do anything about the dreams and it doesn't put me to sleep.
I have started taking a warm bath at night. I do think that helps sleep some, but not dreams.d
Giving myself foot rubs probably helps me sleep better than anything.
best wishes for you peace and serenity!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((least)))

Due to my sleep disorder, I have vivid and lengthy dreams. I know how disturbing they can be. I get those dream hangovers, the ones where the mood or emotion carries over into my waking life. I do think about the images and how I can work through them. Sometimes writing them down, like you did here, helps me recognize what's going on.

Breathe through the anxiety. Sometimes I find myself holding my breath. Doing the 4-4-8 helps. Breath in through the nose slowly to the count of 4, hold for the count of 4 and then blow out through the mouth slowly to the count of 8. Repeat a few times. Try it! It works for me!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am going to go pick up a new medication today (non-addictive) that was prescribed to me for anxiety and insomnia.
I will let you know if it helps.

Yes, please let me know what it is if it helps you. My doctor and my shrink will not prescribe benzos for me so I need to find something that works for anxiety without causing addiction. I'm on Buspar for anxiety but sometimes the anxiety is so overwhelming that nothing helps.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try Passiflorine, Avena Sativa or Valerian roots. All three really work.

It could be under different names in the States, I´m in Europe.

Sending hugs,

Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I take an herbal mix of valerian, skullcap, and hops, and of course my chamomile tea. So far it isn't helping much so I may try the GABA to see if it helps. :ghug3
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, geez...I just picked up the med
I recently just dropped the klonopin that I asked for to replace the xanax...about a month ago..and I didn't have to per my Dr (1.5 mg/day)
The xanax wore off too soon and the klonopin made me overly tired. I would have accepted valium..but he wasn't going for that. What is the difference, I wonder, if he was going to scrip me klonopin? They are both benzos. I couldn't get high off them if I tried after being prescribed 7 mg xanax a day! HELLO!
okay, he scripted me Vistaril...which now that I have picked it up, I recognized the capsules immediately as being worthless to me..and it is an antihistimine which I am opposed to already.
I went ahead and took one...I will try rather than shoot it out of the water first thing but past experience tells me it is useless.....when the OTC antihistime/sleep aid wears off it usually leaves me way more anxious, especially with certain hormonal changes. It is a total ick for me.
We talked about seroquel...I did not want to do that...but if it comes down to this constant being awake for 36 hours at a time and bad freaking nightmares..I will do the seroquel...even tho' I consider it a zombie med.
GABA left me feeling strange and bloated if I recall correctly? I was warned not to take the full amount suggested too. ??
Good luck!
Let me know if you ever find anything that helps!!!
I agree with you that the anxiety is worse than the depression.
I can medicate the depression and stay stable.
Not so with the anxiety.
And getting off the benzos is freaking miserable!
Have you tried trazadone? That worked for me for a long while and then it started making the nightmares even worse.
I did get too frustrated this week and started taking them again last Thursday...not bad so far, but today I did wake up anxious and stressed.
From experience it works well at first, then I get used to them and the nightmares become unbearable.
Hope this helps some!
hugs,
Live
Old 03-25-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just woke up (with a splitting non-hangover headache) out of a strange dream. Back at the factory where I used to work, only in the office part of it, where all the 'big boys' whom I hated, and it was a mutual hatred, had their offices. I somehow, using pretense, got hired in the office section and was being chased around the offices, questioned, and threatened. Too weird and very uncomfortable feeling dream. :wtf2

Could be anxiety about finances, since I'm broke and barely working, but don't know why I would have chosen the office part of the place to run around in as I worked in the factory when I was there.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Another uncomfortable dream again and waking up too early with a splitting headache.

Had a new baby, with a feeding tube, being taught how to care for him. Complaining because I was supposed to get a break but never did. Couldn't eat, couldn't smoke, nothing - constant work.

The dream changed into being chased by some sort of 'bad guy', a rapist or something, and trying to escape...

I see where this is all going now... These characters in my dreams are my problems, chasing me around and not 'letting me' escape from them. At least it seems that way to me.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is getting old and exhausting fast... another 4am awakening out of a disturbing dream with a splitting headache. Was in 'my' house, an unfamiliar big house, beng harassed by an exbf, and having my friends and family taking the side of my exbf and were harassing me for what i had done - standing up for myself.

This early morning migraine crap is wearing me down. I can't even escape thru sleep any more... I'm so tired of this but every time I sleep I am trapped in bad dreams. My counselor is hearing about this next week...
Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

According to medicine, bad dream is not necessarily concerned with your mental state. It is not necessary if you are having night mares, your mental condition is not stable.
This might occur to you due to some other intakes like drugs or some time bad food.
This might also be the case that you see bad dreams at night when you were upset due to some official work in day.
So do not get upset, it happens to every one.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by HelpMeRecover View Post
According to medicine, bad dream is not necessarily concerned with your mental state. It is not necessary if you are having night mares, your mental condition is not stable.
This might occur to you due to some other intakes like drugs or some time bad food.
This might also be the case that you see bad dreams at night when you were upset due to some official work in day.
So do not get upset, it happens to every one.

Nope, no drugs or bad food before bedtime. This is a textbook example of my real life being 'worked out' in my dreams. The things happening in my dreams are a reflection of the crap going on in real life. I can't avoid this garbage but must work thru it in a healthy way, I'm just tired, mentally and physically, and wish I'd stop waking up so early with a headache and a panic attack...

It's next to impossible to 'not be upset' but I'm trying hard to relax and get used to early morning headaches... but it's getting old fast and so am I...
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Least i can imagine how desperate you are to get rid of this and take a nice sleep.
Are you having some bad routine in your office? or some depression is going on in your life.
Or you might call me mad, but what about paying visit to church i mean if you believe in GOD. Go sit by candles in calm place and say whatever strikes your mind and do it after every two days.
It might work?
Have you contacted any psychiatrist?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by HelpMeRecover View Post
Hey Least i can imagine how desperate you are to get rid of this and take a nice sleep.
Are you having some bad routine in your office? or some depression is going on in your life.
Or you might call me mad, but what about paying visit to church i mean if you believe in GOD. Go sit by candles in calm place and say whatever strikes your mind and do it after every two days.
It might work?
Have you contacted any psychiatrist?

I am disabled and semi retired, so don't work very much.

LOTS of depression going on in my life right now.

I usually do go to church.

I saw my shrink last month.

I'm pretty sure the bad dreams and early awakenings are the result of all the crap going on right now. Nothing I can do about it so just putting up with it.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Another strange dream woke me up too early. one of my kids was in it. Can't remember exactly but she wasn't cooperating (no surprise there) and was giving me a very hard time about something, arguing and such. Not only was she not cooperating, but was actively interfering with what I was trying to do. I wish she'd stay out of my sleep... Bad enough to deal with her in real life but intolerable to have her nasty hateful self intruding on my dreams.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

another disturbing dream last night. An old bf was in it and it involved torture, mental and physical. Woke up in a panic state and aching all over.

Have been feeling quite unwell lately, bad backache, no appetite, nausea constantly, no energy at all. All I want to do lately is lie down, have no energy to stand up or even sit up for very long.

Need to go (back) to the doctor and that brings on financial nightmares of its own... It's so hard to live any semblance of a normal life when all I can do is lie down all the time.... and to be bothered by bad dreams all the time...