Notices

miller high life made a loser out of me.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

miller high life made a loser out of me.

There's been a glut of commercials for miller high life beer, around here anyway.
That was my beer at the end.
Twelve pack and a pint of whiskey. Every day. Six years later, I can still taste them both. I guess some things just stay with you.
All I have to do when I see those commercials, after the pretty music and them showing the sexy bottle, is the agony, remorse and anxiety they caused me.

Next, my thoughts go to the alcohols that still suffer, and they normal drinkers, and wonder how these commercials affect them.
It makes me feel bad.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great post. saw the commercial a couple days ago. probably during a playoff game. haven't seen one in yrs. thought the same thing as you. looks so good.....unless you have a problem.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober style

That ain't no high life for sure, Ghostlife. I was a Miller Lite drinker myself, hilarious cause I ended up gaining about 100 pounds over several years. Nothing high life about abusing alcohol.

We can't let the corrupt popular culture kill us though. People should always have the right to drink. We have to steer our own ship.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

High life was the first beer I ever drank that gave me that "wow, this isn't bad!" experience and was my drug of choice for quite a while. I loved it so much I contemplated getting the high life girl tattoo when I was younger (thank god that never happened.)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's too funny. Never thought of that. I think it tattooed my liver, though.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They used to have a slogan "now, it's Miller Time."

I remember a comedian did a take on that

"It's 4 .a.m. You've just peed against a dumpster. Now, it's Miller time."

I always laughed when I heard that, because I thought, this guy understands alcoholism.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"The Champagne of bottled beers"
Old 01-17-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My view is that people should be free to drink responsibly, but that they need to do to alcohol advertising what they did to cigarette advertising. We don't see cigarette commercials anymore.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wonder why they don't have tv ads for Steel Reserve 8.1% ABV, my poison of choice the last go-round.

Oh, I forgot.

It's death in a bottle.

Be kind of hard to come up with a campaign for that!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Miller High life was my swill of choice too...I switched to the "light" at some point too. As if it made a difference....
Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's so funny. I started out as a "craft beer" drinker in Portland, Oregon - home of the arty beer.
During my relapse, in New Orleans, everyone drank all the crap beers - Coors lite, miller lite, pbr.
One of my embarrassing & floating regrets is that I relapsed on low-quality beer. Ha-ha!!
Like it matters!
Seriously, I felt like I should have relapsed on something more elegant & creative.
We're a bunch of alkies. Fascinating what our AVs can come up with!

Ps. How many AVs does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer. A million AVs of a million alcoholics couldn't change a single lightbulb, cause in the end - regardless of their manipulations - they don't have any hands!!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
I wonder why they don't have tv ads for Steel Reserve 8.1% ABV, my poison of choice the last go-round.

Oh, I forgot.

It's death in a bottle.

Be kind of hard to come up with a campaign for that!
I'd drink that rot gut in a pinch. Four 40ozers would do the trick. I would drink the warm leftover swill on the nightstand the morning after. Horrid.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
Ps. How many AVs does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer. A million AVs of a million alcoholics couldn't change a single lightbulb, cause in the end - regardless of their manipulations - they don't have any hands!!
Heartcore, this is fantastic. I don't know if you use AVRT, but this is going into the AVRT discussion thread. With attribution, of course.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
My view is that people should be free to drink responsibly, but that they need to do to alcohol advertising what they did to cigarette advertising. We don't see cigarette commercials anymore.
100% agree but is all about money. To be honest cigarettes should be removed from the shelves they are a true evil. There is no safe moderation with them might as well wrap asbestos in paper.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a Roku and watch Netfix and YouTube and don't get any commercials! They still do a lot of drinking in movies and shows, but it's surprising how many of them end up in rehab on the shows.
I hated beer most of my life, so about five years ago I made a pledge to myself, no more hard liquor, only beer or wine. Miller High Life nearly killed me. I found you can get just as drunk and just as sick on beer. Nasty stuff! But I drank a boat load of it. Now I'm hung up on berry flavored V8. Too much sugar, but haven't gotten drunk or sick from it yet!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I'd drink that rot gut in a pinch. Four 40ozers would do the trick. I would drink the warm leftover swill on the nightstand the morning after. Horrid.
That’s so gross, and I’m guilty of the same. I used to buy those hideous drinks that are like 4 loko but they have like 9% alcohol content and they’re absolutely disgusting. And worse, I’d drink it at 7 am after dropping my kid off at school so I get back to sleep since a lot of us got insomnia and the dreaded 3 am wake up. The gas station cashiers must have thought wow, that girls got a problem. It seemed to give me a high of sorts so I just got through it somehow. I’d drink stale red wine too, anything I could get my hands on when I needed it. Nothing was beneath me.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I have a Roku and watch Netfix and YouTube and don't get any commercials! They still do a lot of drinking in movies and shows, but it's surprising how many of them end up in rehab on the shows.
I hated beer most of my life, so about five years ago I made a pledge to myself, no more hard liquor, only beer or wine. Miller High Life nearly killed me. I found you can get just as drunk and just as sick on beer. Nasty stuff! But I drank a boat load of it. Now I'm hung up on berry flavored V8. Too much sugar, but haven't gotten drunk or sick from it yet!
My friend is a nurse and a lot of the guys who come in with liver failure aren’t that old and they’re beer drinkers. My friend also died at 47 from excessive beer drinking. It’s not any more benign than any other booze and maybe worse because you drink more of it. My replacement drinks of choice have been kombucha, packets of true lemonade in water (made with stevia) and I want to buy the 100% juice cranberry juice. Just limiting the sugar cause I got wine weight to lose!