Notices

First AA Meeting Last Night

Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

First AA Meeting Last Night

Well, I did it. I went to my first AA meeting last night. It was great. Lots of good folks. I was welcomed and got a 24 hour chip.

Up until about a week ago, I was convinced AA was a cult and it's members were weak. Boy was I wrong. Very wrong. I'm glad I put aside my preconceived notions and just went. I am truly humbled.

Now for a confession about this site. I have been here a couple of times with different aliases. I know one was Timmah!. Can't remember the others. This was during my heaviest drinking and I was only here "until I sober up and don't need support anymore." I made up stories about things that happened to me and sought a quick, b.s. fix. To all here, I sincerely apologize.

Today is day 3 for me. The shakes and sweats are gone. Now fatigue has set in. This weekend will be movies and naps.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work TH

Courageous honesty too.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA has saved countless people. I know I would be dead without it.

Meeting attendance is important and working the steps is critical
Old 11-07-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well done my friend, without doubt aa for me has turned my life around, i love the fellowship and i have been lucky enough to watch lots of other people come into aa and turn there lives around
very often people have such a bad idea of what aa is like there are a few types in aa that are more focused on everyone doing aa there way and do come across as cultish types but thankfully over here in the uk its not such a problem but they do give aa a bad name
all my message is for anyone is to pop along to an aa meeting and find out for yourself what aa is like
i dont go any futher than that as they are free to do there own thing in aa that way it makes sure i am not trying to get them to do it my way

so for me aa is the vital key and once there you can then learn about everything else ie the book, the sponsor, the program, etc

so good luck to you and well done
Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even though I have been sober 19 months, I went to my first face to face AA meeting this week. It was huge and almost too many people to deal with. But an hour with my fellows in recovery inspired me and helped propel me out of a funk.

SR has online meetings, organized and with a topic every Tues and Fri at 8PM CST in the chat room. Those were my only meetings until now.

Good move!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats Hombre!

And thank you for your honesty as well!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to here that the meeting went so well, ThatHombre.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by ThatHombre View Post
Well, I did it. I went to my first AA meeting last night. It was great. Lots of good folks. I was welcomed and got a 24 hour chip.

Up until about a week ago, I was convinced AA was a cult and it's members were weak. Boy was I wrong. Very wrong. I'm glad I put aside my preconceived notions and just went. I am truly humbled.

Now for a confession about this site. I have been here a couple of times with different aliases. I know one was Timmah!. Can't remember the others. This was during my heaviest drinking and I was only here "until I sober up and don't need support anymore." I made up stories about things that happened to me and sought a quick, b.s. fix. To all here, I sincerely apologize.

Today is day 3 for me. The shakes and sweats are gone. Now fatigue has set in. This weekend will be movies and naps.
Many people = me, find AA is very different than our preconceived ideas. I think that is has to do with a strong group as well - makes a big difference.

I attend 2 other groups along with my home group, I like the differences and perspectives.

Glad you went!!!
What about tonight????????

Flyn
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Thanks everyone.

I will be attending meetings everyday.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Hombre!

I hope you really use this site for all it's worth. Read around and post often. Join an ongoing thread, find a daily inspiration that you like. If you ever feel that addiction is okay, just read around the "Friends and Family" sections for a bit to see just how much chaos we can cause.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Excellent Hombre! I applaud you for your honesty.

It is pretty amazing how most folks (myself included) felt about AA before they gave it a try. Once you find a good group and start attending meetings on a regular basis, you realize that AA's are the winners in the battle against booze and addiction.

Try some different meetings and fellowships and don't forget to stick around after the meetings and talk with folks. I had no idea how to make sober friends before but now I have several very close personal friends that I met in the rooms.

Congratulations on your decision to get sober! Well Done!!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I will be attending meetings everyday.
Keep coming back!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amazing news!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!

When is the next meeting?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

well done on youre meeting, don't worry about being on here sr before under other names

ive done it too ages ago whilst drinking

im sober now that's what matters/counts
Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your apology is very much appreciated.

I'm really glad that you felt good about the meeting and are working on your recovery.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice work THombre. It takes a lot of courage to go to meetings. So glad you found it. For me honesty has been pivotal in my recovery. You sound honest and I like that!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That's really great. I went to my first meeting on Monday and I've gone almost every day since. I didn't expect the people to be so friendly and welcoming. I'm actually looking forward to going back
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile Keep going back until you want to.

AA kept me sober from 1997 to 2008. I stopped going and I relapsed. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and deal with the shame of getting back into the rooms. I'm sure it will be OK because they are good folks. The programme is very effective. If you work it 24/7 it will keep you dry and help you to be happy. AA is not for everyone but I think it's the best thing out there; make sure you're in there. Best of luck and keep going. Three times a week at the very least. Namaste
Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Hombre.

Your story makes me feel like a million bucks.

AA has been a life-saver for me, because I was drinking pathologically when I got here.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daevid View Post
AA kept me sober from 1997 to 2008. I stopped going and I relapsed. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and deal with the shame of getting back into the rooms. I'm sure it will be OK because they are good folks. The programme is very effective. If you work it 24/7 it will keep you dry and help you to be happy. AA is not for everyone but I think it's the best thing out there; make sure you're in there. Best of luck and keep going. Three times a week at the very least. Namaste
there is no shame in going back to aa after a fall, people will be so happy and glad to see you come back again, they dont judge or point fingers, we do that to ourselves without the need for anyone else doing it

you story will help others who might just be thinking about packing it all in : ) thanks for posting