Notices

Alcoholic Interrupted

Old 03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Why don't you highlight the parts that are?...I didn't do sedatitves or sanitariums either...But it was close enough for me...
Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charon View Post
For you. It's great to have total faith. Some of us can't.
Sorry to hear that...You should practice more...
Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Why don't you highlight the parts that are?...I didn't do sedatitves or sanitariums either...But it was close enough for me...
Because there were none. And you can't manufacture belief. You either have it or not.

I think I'd better leave this thread and maybe the entire forum. Too many people here seem to have ALL the answers for everyone.

Perhaps a forum on OCD would be more benificial. Anyone who tells someone with OCD that it's their choice is delusional, and I'm talking about any OCD behavior - much or most of which does NOT involve alcohol.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Because there were none.
That's fine Charon...It must relate to some alkies in this world...I'm one of them. I take it you don't work the program of AA?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Because there were none. And you can't manufacture belief. You either have it or not.

I think I'd better leave this thread and maybe the entire forum. Too many people here seem to have ALL the answers for everyone.

Perhaps a forum on OCD would be more benificial. Anyone who tells someone with OCD that it's their choice is delusional, and I'm talking about any OCD behavior - much or most of which does NOT involve alcohol.
Charon,

I hope you dont continue to decide to leave this forum. No one has all the answers, right? Our sharing is what gives us all additional strength to carry on and do the next right thing as we walk or walk.

Your voice in this thread has real value to me. And others too.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm a member of AA to recover from alcoholism...That's all I know.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I agree that OCD strips away much of the power of free choice. I have not personal experience of OCD though I have worked with alcoholics and non alcoholics who had and have OCD traits, challenges, and behaviors.

Obsessional thinking is of course inherent in OCD. It can't simply be wished away or programed out. I do though know that OCD itself is not a deal breaker preventing the quitting of alcohol. OCD is a complication of course. A serious complication.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I would also like to say that medications either taken or not taken are no indication of potential success or failure either way for any mental illness or condition or state of mind / emotions / psyche while dealing with alcoholism or whatever else.

Medications work of course, but there is no magic pill. Not taking medications is not a better benefit from the get go. I know it is poplular for some people to think they dodged a bullet if they dont take meds. I dont agree with such ideas. I dont.

Whatever works works. Its really just that simple.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

"My alcoholism illness is unempowered (arrested) and so my alcoholic mind is very weak and for all purposes dead in the water."

Since I admitted I am powerless over alcohol and my mind is a part of me how could I ever think this isn't true anymore just because I didn't drink for a while? If I did believe that I wouldn't need a power greater than myself to keep me sober.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by fuzzy1 View Post
"My alcoholism illness is unempowered (arrested) and so my alcoholic mind is very weak and for all purposes dead in the water."

Since I admitted I am powerless over alcohol and my mind is a part of me how could I ever think this isn't true anymore just because I didn't drink for a while? If I did believe that I wouldn't need a power greater than myself to keep me sober.
How we come to understand our HP is of personal importance of course. We can share that we both make use of our respective HP in our respective sober journeys of course, and yet comparing our understandings does not do either of us justice. Sharing our experiences is helpful, yeah?

For instance, my HP does not keep me sober. My HP does help me create a quality sobriety yes, but keep me sober? No. My original decision to never get drunk again never have another drink is what keeps me in abstinence of drinking.

An alcoholic mind is not something we can reach out and touch -- an alcoholic mind is a crude construct within the mind of an alcoholic person who uses that construction to engineer taking a drink. An alcoholic mind can of course have enough power to destroy a life. Alcoholic insanity exists and can destroy a life without mercy.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I too consider my alcoholism arrested, that is to say I have recovered from the active symptoms of alcoholism, of both body and mind. The idea of being recovered comes from my understanding of the medical definition of what it means to be longer symptomatic of alcoholism or as I say alcohol addiction. As far as I can tell there is no standard universal wholly agreed upon definition of being recovered. There is much opinion of what recovered means tho.

Having an addiction disorder means to me that my illness can resurface if my treatments to maintain my sobriety fail. Hence my illness is arrested and I'm not cured. If I was cured of my alcoholism, saying that I would never drink again would have some weight in my eyes. It would be like if I never drank in the first place.

I do recognize the power to 'shock the system' back in order. That being, sending the psyche a strong message with a strong exclamation that I will in fact never drink again. I think one can become what one believes. After all, strong positive beliefs have significant power over people, so why not I believe in myself. Oh conversely, strong negative beliefs can damage one as well, be those beliefs internal or external from others.

Then's there is the cold face of reality where I have seen people say some amazing cool things, only to see them also do some horribly disastrous stuff, me included.

What I strive to do is have some wellness in my life. Alcohol/drugs is not included in that plan. In the past decade I've had some successes and some failures. As a double vision alcoholic, I have two illness to treat that at times make life very challenging. Tho I do love a challenge because the rewards of overcoming a difficult challenge is a great shot to the ole self-worth thingy...just great stuff really. Resiliency...that's one thing I have, no matter what I shall overcome.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Since the first day on December 25, 1977 when I called another AA member to hang out with him that day so I wouldn't drink I consider each day as a daily reprieve from the drinking part of my disease of Alcoholism. The longer I'm sober, the more I truly see that the drinking is just one part of this disease. I've recovered from the insanity, but I still have this disease.

AS far as saying I'll never drink again; I won't say it. If I was done drinking forever on my own, then I wouldn't need AA. And, who knows if they ever develop a medication that would cure alcoholism whether one would take it or not. There are to many variable to think about.

I live by the philosophy that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. The Philosophical debate to whether one really recovers from alcoholism just doesn't interest me anymore. I like my life as it is. In other words, living the principals of the 12 steps work for me.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Nicely said Db1105...If they did come up with a pill that would make you stop for good...I think I'd stay with what I'm doing....So much more to AA than stopping drinking...I'm glad I tried it to find that out.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I find it very interesting that when the compulsion is lifted and we're freed from the demons of desire we are all just explaining the same thing albeit with a different view as to what actually happened. Trying to put an experience into words can be difficult and each persons words are going to be colored by their belief system. It's all good though!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
...But, how it plays out it matters only to them and my agreement or skepticism means nothing important either way.

In other words, it shouldn't be of the least importance what people may think or say about how you view your sobriety and what you do to stay sober, and what you believe your chances are now at this point...
This is one of the most sensible things I've read on here in a while.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

People are different. While drinking I made decisions to never drink again after every bender and never stayed sober.
When I came into AA I didn't make a decision to never drink again. I took the steps and the problem of drinking was lifted from me. As long as I stay in a sufficient spiritual condition I probably will not drink.
Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful and I have a lot of respect regarding the alcoholic condition. Trusting my mind would not be a basis I could put my sobriety on and still sleep well.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

People are different. While drinking I made decisions to never drink again after every bender and never stayed sober.
When I came into AA I didn't make a decision to never drink again. I took the steps and the problem of drinking was lifted from me. As long as I stay in a sufficient spiritual condition I probably will not drink.
Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful and I have a lot of respect regarding the alcoholic condition. Trusting my mind would not be a basis I could put my sobriety on and still sleep well.
People may be different....But you think a lot like I do...
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Db1105 View Post
Since the first day on December 25, 1977 when I called another AA member to hang out with him that day so I wouldn't drink I consider each day as a daily reprieve from the drinking part of my disease of Alcoholism. The longer I'm sober, the more I truly see that the drinking is just one part of this disease. I've recovered from the insanity, but I still have this disease.

AS far as saying I'll never drink again; I won't say it. If I was done drinking forever on my own, then I wouldn't need AA. And, who knows if they ever develop a medication that would cure alcoholism whether one would take it or not. There are to many variable to think about.

I live by the philosophy that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. The Philosophical debate to whether one really recovers from alcoholism just doesn't interest me anymore. I like my life as it is. In other words, living the principals of the 12 steps work for me.
I dont see it as a philosophical debate. Calling a sharing of experiences a debate is really saying lets not talk about it. And yet talking and sharing is absolutely how AA was founded and works today.

I have no problem with those who wont say they'll never drink again. I do have a problem with those who have a problem with me saying it though, lol.

I will never drink again.

The idea that that statement causes anybody any kind of problem whatsoever speaks volumes about the person being bothered by it. And just because someone says they dont want to be part of that sharing does not mean they have taken the higher ground, you know?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
This is one of the most sensible things I've read on here in a while.

Originally Posted by langkah
...But, how it plays out it matters only to them and my agreement or skepticism means nothing important either way.
Originally Posted by langkah

In other words, it shouldn't be of the least importance what people may think or say about how you view your sobriety and what you do to stay sober, and what you believe your chances are now at this point...
How members share and dont share is of awesome importance of course here at SR or anywhere else. Quality has value. Sharing is the lifeblood of recovery. Of course it matters. Hundreds of thousands of shares attest to how much it matters.

Getting personal and pointing to me as a person that I am of no consequence is amusing, you know?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

There is comfort in your words.
I like the surety you are sharing.
What works works. Awesome.