View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Midas

Chip Chip Chip! Is this day 7?? Here, have this little token of progress!!

Hey N2S! About the liver function--enzyme levels will begin dropping slowly--unless you have additional complications such as Diabetes, Hepatitis A/B/C.

As long as there isn't any severe scar tissue, the liver can still heal itself. In an advanced stage...let's just say it's bad news.

When I went to the hospital in my 2nd week of sobriety to have some blood tests done, I made sure they were going to run a 'Full Spectrum Screening'.
I was in the waiting room literally shitting bricks I was so nervous-scared-worried-petrified. My arm was so tense it caused the needle to bend as the nurse attempted to draw the blood sample.

She hesitated a moment, "What in the...? Well I've never seen that happen before."

"I must be a bit wound-up, huh?"

"Oh just a teensy bit. Don't make me fetch the porta·potty and whack you over the head with it."

"Kinda like that stainless steel one over there?"

Needless to say, that convinced me to relax a bit!

Anyway...fast forward 3 days. The charge nurse called me on the phone to relay the test results. In my head, ''Ummm. Shouldn't I be sitting down for this type of news...''

Much to my amazement and disbelief, she said ''Mr. Midas, I'm happy to tell you the results are flat.''

WTF!! ''FLAT??''

She chuckled lightly, "You're going to be fine, Mr. Midas. Have a good day."

Another HUGE benefit to getting sober & staying sober--is the positive effect on your blood pressure. My blood pressure was 195/95 when I went to the clinic intake. My body's core temperature was 103.5°F (40°C). One month later, my blood pressure was steady at 115/80 with normal body temperature.