The Freedom Model for Addictions - 2 - Page 15 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 AM   #281 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSlate View Post
Drinking might make you cheat on your wife, but alcohol does not.

The key here is to understand drinking is an activity with a whole bunch of personal and cultural meaning attached to it - whereas alcohol is a CNS depressant that can slow your reaction times, disorient you, alter respiration, blood pressure, and heart rate, et cetera.
Reading further into TFM, the point is made that it's important to realise that this is not to say that alcohol or other drugs don't affect you but that of course they do, it's just that the effect is different from what we usually believe.

Just going more from the book, while alcohol self-evidently has an affect on our CNS as well as a myriad other pharmacology affects it cannot actually control the contents of our thoughts and feelings.

So, the last time I drank followed several months of abstinence and was because I thought it would help me get through a time of emotional pain. Looking back, this was just a belief I had about the power of alcohol. I was reaching out for something to help me and I decided on drink because of my own 'romantacising' of drink and, as you describe in an earlier post, the powerful images that society gives us in films etc. that drink can wash away our troubles.

Did this help me? Well, I got through the sadness so the answer may seem to be "yes" but I believe I would have got through it anyway. Actually I think I would have got through it a lot easier if I had allowed myself to experience my grief and so come to terms with it rather than trying to avoid or delay this through drinking.

Looking back on this experience, I guess I could take the attitude and say "Well look, drinking got me through that so it will get me through anything" so of course leading the way to drinking again if anything else like that happens again which of course is inevitable. Or I could more honestly say "Well no, it didn't really help did it? What did help was the support I got from my friends, my personal faith, and just holding on and getting through that time."

TFM helped me too
AlericB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlericB For This Useful Post:
CRRHCC (10-25-2019), Tatsy (05-04-2018), Wholesome (05-04-2018)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #282 (permalink)

Bumping!

Part One is also in this sub-forum.
Tatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #283 (permalink)

Hi Tatsy,

To resume our interrupted conversation... I read your thread and I was very to sorry to hear about the distress you are feeling and the personal losses that you have recently experienced.

I was going to reply there but as you bumped this thread I thought it may be better to try to say something in FM terms. In respect to this site, I'll only discuss the model in terms of how it can support the decision of abstinence.

As you try to stop drinking again, the FM, as I understand it, would advise looking at the benefits of not drinking again against the benefits you felt you got from your recent drinking. It seems from what you say that you found in drinking again relief from a number of painful experiences that came all at once. I think it is important to acknowledge this but also to realise that this is not the same as justifying it or making excuses. In FM terms, you made the choice to start drinking again because at that time you felt it would make you 'happier' than not drinking. By 'happy' I don't of course mean that drinking made you feel happy and no longer sad about your pain - I'm sure that was not the case and anyway a mere chemical does not have that power - but 'happy' in the sense that perhaps it gave you a sense of comfort. Whatever the explanation of 'happiness' was for you at that time, you can change your decision by reexamining your preferences and see that you'd be happier now by not drinking again. The FM says that we always naturally act to pursue our own happiness - the Positive Drive Principle (PDP). So when we see that abstinence is a happier option for us than drinking, we're happy to do that. No willpower required!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlericB For This Useful Post:
Dropsie (08-18-2019), Tatsy (08-17-2019), Wholesome (08-19-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #284 (permalink)

Thank you, Aleric, yes, I decided that drinking would make me ‘happier’ (and I appreciate your definition of that state) by, basically, knocking me out mentally, sedation, so I wasn’t plagued by the thoughts and feelings. A chemical cosh.

It was initially effective, until the overgrown neuronal pathways lit up and the pleasure drives, diverted from seeking a non-drinking state, - to the historic levels of drinking state: due to reigniting my historic tolerance. Within a very short time, I reverted back to square zillion, just to switch off thoughts and feelings.

Pleasure? No. Hopelessness, sadness, sickness, defeat, despondency: yes.
Yet I almost feel as though part of my psyche is gaining some sort of perverted pleasure from feeling hopeless. I wonder?
Tatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatsy For This Useful Post:
AlericB (08-20-2019), Wholesome (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #285 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

It's going to be alright Tatsy, you caught yourself. You stopped the spiral.

You had a loss and it knocked you off your feet for a bit, but you've gotten back up.

Yet I almost feel as though part of my psyche is gaining some sort of perverted pleasure from feeling hopeless. I wonder?

Yes, your Beast was quite pleased. The real you was trapped and terrified.

Dee used have this meme on his avatar.

"An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
Mark Twain
Wholesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
AlericB (08-20-2019), CRRHCC (10-25-2019), Tatsy (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #286 (permalink)

That's quite philosophical Tatsy but I think it may be true. The advantage or 'happiness' we can gain from feeling hopeless is that we feel we can allow ourselves not to feel responsible for a while. I think it's very understandable to want that when we are going through a difficult patch.

Could your happier option be now to stop drinking because you would prefer that to the 'perverted pleasure' you've identified?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlericB For This Useful Post:
Tatsy (08-20-2019), Wholesome (08-20-2019)

Tags
freedom model