Okay SMARTies (and others too)...

Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Paul

I'm kinda familiar with Smartie thinking. I think the CBA(cost benefit analysis) could be applied here to help you make a choice. Basically, this tool is where you write down the benefits of drinking, disadvantages, benefits of not drinking, and disadvantages of not drinking. As an example, based on your opening post:

Advantages of drinking

-the buzz felt good
-socially acceptable

Disadvantages of drinking

-hangover
-guilt about drinking

Advantages of not drinking

-feel good next day no hangover
-no guilty feelings

Disadvantages of not drinking

-miss the buzz
-feel left out socially

This is just a simple example. When I do one there are usually many more entries for each section, but you get the idea. Simple but it can open a whole new way of thinking to help with your choice.

The CBA has helped me a lot, along with other Smart tools.

Good luck

Mongo
Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I recommend the CBA as well. Once you are done, don't put it away. Keep it out and add to it. You will be surprised at the difference a couple days make.

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/toolchest.htm
Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
alconaut

Yep..... just what I was going to suggest. A nice, lengthy CBA. I don't know if you have ever done one. If not, then take some time to clear off a table, sit down with some nice blank paper (4 notebook style pages will do), a good pen and relax. Make sure you don't have any time constraints, so you don't get the urge to go off and running or make up some excuse why you can't at least get started. Once you do, the ideas will flow rapidly and you'll quickly fill your pages. Mongo's outline is perfect.

Page 1: Benefits of drinking

Page 2: Disadvantages of drinking

Page 3: Benefits of not drinking

Page 4: Disadvantages of not drinking

Then, say you have a few items listed under "benefits of drinking". You then challenge those answers as irrational beliefs. Say, you drink because of anxiety or to take the edge off. Is it a good enough excuse? What else can you do? You get the drift. You don't even need to tackle this part right away. In fact, you'll find the benefits of quitting and the disadvantages of drinking far outweigh the others, and it may be all the inspiration you need.

After a good, thorough CBA, follow it up with some reading about the detrimental effects of alcohol (EDUCATE). Undoubtedly, this will give you more ideas to add to your CBA also. Post it here if you like!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smart tools can be deceptively simple, but they seem to mesh so well. Going from a CBA to disputing irrational beliefs, to doing an ABC is a logical progression. As i get more comfortable using them, I find I use them constantly. They can be applied to almost every decision a person can make, Everything from should I accept that new job to what do I want for dinner.

For myself, when drinking was destroying me, I was so confused and depressed that this logical way of thinking really was a blueprint for directing my decisions. I really needed that, an orderly progression of thought, based on what I knew and believed.

They have helped me emotionally and socially as well. An honest, personal ABC about something that has really got me upset can ease the anxiety and make me feel much better. It doesn't cure the situation by itself, but by organizing my thoughts and analyzing beliefs I can make a choice that I'm comfortable with.

A link to ABC: http://www.smartrecovery.org/resourc...ash_course.pdf

Keep well

Mongo
Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Believe in your own ability to remain drink free knob. Nothing is hopeless.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I guess sitting down knob and doing a totally rational case for/against drinking would be a good start. Honesty is the best policy. Get it all down. Really think and think hard about this sh it.

And keep trying. No matter how hopeless it must feel, just keep trying.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks homies. What a great response. This forum kicks ass! I feel so much better today. I could not shake my headache yesterday. Pain relievers did nada. I need to remember this.

It's funny, I had a really good night at work last night. It was very busy, and somehow I pulled it together, and got through the night with no major blunders, and without melting down (I did have to remind myself to breath quite often though). So... go into work every night hung over right? NOT!!

I guess I got some list making to do...
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

There is nothing quite like a good days graft in my book. Lifts the spirit.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

doorknob
Old 08-04-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
Well seems you controlled yourself pretty much else you would have had more than 2 beer.
Yeah, I can do it sometimes Marte, but eventually it snowballs on me, till it's 3-4 every day, and then at some point I'll tie one on. Anything past 5 drinks and my memory starts to go.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Before I stopped drinking I tried lots of times to moderate like you DK, and sometimes I could drink just a few and other times I would not be able to do that. I just couldn't moderate all the time.

It has been far easier for me since recognising that I can't and that alcohol is bad for me, and that I am essentially a good person, just don't add alcohol.

love and peace,
Brigid
Old 08-04-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great messsage Brigid.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
Yeah, I can do it sometimes Marte, but eventually it snowballs on me, till it's 3-4 every day, and then at some point I'll tie one on. Anything past 5 drinks and my memory starts to go.
Memory!
Just minutes ago I watched a Science Channel program titled, "Understanding". About how past memory alters present perception, and how perceptions get distorted in memory. What we remember, how that memory is stored, and how what we recall shapes our mindset. This dovetails with another ongoing thread about values. Writing them out to SEE them, call them directly to the forefront of our thinking, to recognize ((brigid))them for what they are. The way memory likes to remember the positives of the escape drugs provide can be overwhelmingly powerful, unless there's another memory accessible to counteract it with the negatives. Such is why it's of essential value to understand one's own reasoning. Especially if reasoning is being relied upon as the primary combatant to one's own twisted addict-thinking logic.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Memory!
Just minutes ago I watched a Science Channel program titled, "Understanding". About how past memory alters present perception, and how perceptions get distorted in memory. What we remember, how that memory is stored, and how what we recall shapes our mindset.
Sounds very interesting gainor (I liked how dk called you that ). I would have liked to see that program as well.

My short-term memory is horrific. It seems to be improving a bit, however. Not soon enough tho.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Just in case anyone was wondering, I haven't had anything to drink since those two beers.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

great news knob.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Aaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!! I think I'm losing my mind. !@%* !@%* !@%*
Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Need further input to understand...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
alconaut

We're here for ya Knob.

:boat
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm not even sure. I haven't been able to sleep worth crap the last three nights, I drank one stupid energy drink yesterday and felt like I was on meth, my car, which I use for one of my jobs, and have put $2,500 into is blowing oil out of the cylinder head, and I'm told it isn't worth fixing, my SO is underemployed, and I've been paying all the monthly bills (except rent) for months... I just want to load my car up and bail...