Athiests in AA??

Old 09-20-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blake

THere is alot of "god" talk in meetings, but it also says that what is meant is god, as we understood him. So you can choose anything to be that power greater than yourself. I personally use the program of NA, itself, as that power greater than myself...and it's worked so far. I have grown a whole whole lot since I got clean.
This is what many of my agnostic AA buddies do.

Welcome to SR

Last edited by Latte; 09-20-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: editing quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi

In the 164 pages of the BB and the 12x12 whenever the word Atheist (ism) is used a negative descriptive like belligerent, savage or cynical is used to portray them.

What a shame

Abbadun

Originally Posted by historyteach
I'm not really sure what you mean, Abbadun. Can you explain?
Thanks...

Shalom!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
To Life!

WOW! I wasn't aware of that.
It's too bad. But, there's also, "Take what you need and leave the rest."

The beauty of Secular is that none of those types of descriptions matter. We can move on and get past it, because, secular, by its very definition, is humanistic; having to do with the human, as opposed to the spiritual and or religious nature of life.

Wishing you well in your recovery. Care to share what works for you? Why not start a thread for yourself and share away so that others may learn.

Shalom!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi

I like Anne M. Fletcher "Sober for Good"

She interviewed people that got sober many different ways.

www. annemfletcher.com

Also like

Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men: Experience the Miracle of 12 Step Recovery by Stephen Beal

It has lots of God Talk, but is not insulting to Atheists

www. walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=818877

"Taming the Monkey Mind" is a good book

Abbadun

WOW! I wasn't aware of that.
It's too bad. But, there's also, "Take what you need and leave the rest."

The beauty of Secular is that none of those types of descriptions matter. We can move on and get past it, because, secular, by its very definition, is humanistic; having to do with the human, as opposed to the spiritual and or religious nature of life.

Wishing you well in your recovery. Care to share what works for you? Why not start a thread for yourself and share away so that others may learn.

Shalom!

Last edited by historyteach; 09-22-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

So,

Is there anybody out there who is an atheist and has worked the steps?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:40 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by carlton
So,

Yep. If we're defining not believeing the last 2000 years of organized religion in the world than yes, I am an atheist. I have worked the 12 Steps and although I don't have an old dude with a white beard, Buddha, Allah, a doorknob or Jesus as my higher power I do humbly believe that I am not my own higher power. The 12 Steps showed me where I was making bad choices for my life. Drinking booze was one of them and hurting my family was another. That's it.. nothing more. It was so easy it blew my mind.
We get f^)ked up and all we think about is ourselves.. God didn't help me change my direction, although I have to admit as I was hanging my head over the toilet for a few days I did mention the G word, I don't believe that an external force showed me the way. I had a sponsor who got honest with me, I was able to be honest with myself and I finally grasped a way of living that allowed me to believe in my own self worth. Self worth comes with action.. God did not lead me to do that action, but desperation to have inner peace inside of my own head did...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

LOL, for a second I thought you posted the SMART version of "How it Works" (which I liked, btw)!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:47 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

So,

Yes.

I am not an athiest, but I am agnostic, so I'm in the same ball park. You do not have to have any belief in any god to work the steps. You just have to be openminded and read what the step is really saying instead of what you may percieve it to be saying.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

By atheism, I mean an absence of belief in the supernatural. I've tried, but it just doesn't stick. That's not a 'bad' thing, though, for the simple reason that it is true in my heart. And as just about anybody in the rooms would agree, recovery boils down to the capacity to be honest with oneself.
Everywhere I go in life I encounter powers greater than myself. I would no more claim to be my own higher power than I would state "I am taller than myself". I know from experience that there is a capacity within me to grow and recover, which exists irrespective of my own will. I got clean and sober by attending AA meetings, and drawing on the humane, and utterly human warmth and support I found there. These are just a few examples.
Ironically, things have become a bit sticky for me since I decided to knuckle down. get a sponsor and work the steps. My sponsor appears to take the steps, and for that matter the (AA) big book, almost word for word. Although he would probably disagree, his opinions about atheisms are on a par with those expressed in said book. Time to get a new sponsor.
I posed my question as a request for some hope, strength and experience. I don't doubt that there are other atheists who have made the steps work. At the moment, I do actually want to work my way through them. I just figured that it might be good to hear how others have done it.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Blah. I'm never gonna post here anymore. It's time for me to move on.

Marte
Old 10-31-2006, 03:49 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm sorry you feel this way.
I hope you'll change your mind, and post some of your thoughts again.

Shalom!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

i'm just happy being stupid. i'm too stupid to believe in anything or nothing.

(scratches head, ponders rough skin on elbow)
Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

By atheism, I mean an absence of belief in the supernatural. .

I happen to believe that the natural is pretty Super!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

My Experience

I am an atheist.

When a first got to AA/CA I tried to have an open mind and I worked the steps out of the Big Book with a sponsor. I was sober for 19 months and on step 11 when I relapsed. After four months of drinking and drugging my circumstances were bad enough that I went back to AA/CA and again started working the steps with a sponsor. I relapsed after five months.

My circumstances became even worse and, after losing a number of things, I went to a residential treatment center based on the Minnesota model (i.e.-largely 12 step based) for 30 days. After I finishing an additional month of out-patient treatment in my home town, I decided to stop going to AA/CA.

I certainly believe that there are powers greater than myself, for example, at least half of the people that live in my apartment building. But God, as I understand him, does not exist and there is certainly no higher power to which I can turn over my life and will and to whom I can pray for knowledge of his (or her) will for me and the strength to carry out. Hearing seemingly constant messages to the contrary in AA/CA was not helpful and started to make me feel uneasy.

I do think AA/CA helped me stay sober when I came in the first time. The example of people living life on life's terms without drinking or drugging was very helpful as was the moral support of so many of the members. I do miss the fellowship but, for me at, this time, I find more serenity and peace by not going to AA/CA.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome, Leo!
Glad you're here. And that you've found some serenity!
Do you follow any particular secular forum?
I hope to see you here and learn more of your story!

Shalom!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I don't follow any secular forums. Do you know of any?

I have read a bit on the web about the "new" atheism. I am not sure I am up for their confrontational approach. My mom (who is Catholic) and I follow a don't ask, don't tell approach - she does not ask if I believe in God and I do not tell her that I am an atheist.

Welcome, Leo!
Glad you're here. And that you've found some serenity!
Do you follow any particular secular forum?
I hope to see you here and learn more of your story!

Shalom!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:49 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

The secular forum I belong to is SMART Recovery. It is a secular program that is based on CBT. There are tools, meetings and a forum. However, the forum isn't as busy as this one, and is more program based, so I like to post here as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:22 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I am a member of NA, leo...NA is a "spiritual, not religious program" and my own personal spirituality is extremely secular in nature.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
To Life!

My bad, Leo;
I didn't mean to say "forum."
I meant to say "program."

Do you follow SMART, or any of the others? They are listed in one of the stickies on the top of this forum.

Shalom!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:04 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Blake, I never could understand what "spirituality" actually means. It is something I have trouble grasping.