Athiests in AA??

Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I recently returned from a one year deployment in Iraq. Being in harms way did not change, at all, any of the reasons behind why I am an atheist. Seeing the similarities in what some Iraqis want to do with their country, (in terms of setting up a religious state) and what fundamentalists want to do here in America, I am convinced that religion will always be an impediment to world peace.
http://www.nakedemperor.netfirms.com...%20FOXHOLE.htm
Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
To Life!

The topic of the thread is atheists in AA.
Please let's not get into a flaming war about belief in G*D or the lack thereof; foxhole or not. We either do, or we do not have a belief. It's very unlikely that we will change someone else's mind.
But, the issue in AA is something that many people have to deal with while trying to get sober. How else can a person without other options, like SMART, or Lifering.... achieve sobriety?

Shalom!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Unhappy

Sorry, Teach.

Last edited by doorknob; 01-17-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hi Teach

I feel that everyone has the right to believe in something or not to believe and God Talk has never bothered me in the slightest at meetings. What bothers me at meetings are AA/BB statements that lead people to believe that without a HP you will fail or statements like:

" ......Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves..........."

I have seen a ton of people talk the talk and walk the HP/AA walk and relapse over and over. I can not say they all followed the suggestions, but all it takes is for 1/4 are more who are truly working the program to fail to disprove this BB claim.

AB

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
The topic of the thread is atheists in AA.
Please let's not get into a flaming war about belief in G*D or the lack thereof; foxhole or not. We either do, or we do not have a belief. It's very unlikely that we will change someone else's mind.
But, the issue in AA is something that many people have to deal with while trying to get sober. How else can a person without other options, like SMART, or Lifering.... achieve sobriety?

Shalom!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Abbadun View Post
Hi

In New England outside of Mass there is nothing like that
Hey AB,

I thought you said you have a Secular Organization for Sobriety meeting nearby... LSR split from SOS, but the philosophy and meeting style are the same. I'd be tickled to have either one in my area.

DK
Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi Teach

I feel that everyone has the right to believe in something or not to believe and God Talk has never bothered me in the slightest at meetings. What bothers me at meetings are AA/BB statements that lead people to believe that without a HP you will fail or statements like:

" ......Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves..........."

I have seen a ton of people talk the talk and walk the HP/AA walk and relapse over and over. I can not say they all followed the suggestions, but all it takes is for 1/4 are more who are truly working the program to fail to disprove this BB claim.

AB

I agree with all of that, AB, but Teach was referring to the inflammatory post about there being no atheists in combat, and my subsequent posts shedding some light on that myth.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Believer

Like I said: YOU have never been there !
Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johneebegood View Post
Like I said: YOU have never been there !
Is there any special reason why you're trying to disrupt and divert this topic?

Please show some respect for those of us who are having a discussion.

Thank you

spork
Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

I've got a lot of sympathy and respect for veterans. I've got a lot of sympathy and respect for people of religion. But what you've experienced doesn't give you any special insight except to yourself John. You don't know what other people have suffered on their own personal battlefields.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Hi Teach

AB
I have a belief in a HP. I pray daily. I do not believe that my HP will save me from drugs if I turn it over to him.

I also believe that it is irresponsible to give myself over to any program 100 percent. I believe we have free will for a reason. That does not make me incapable of being honest with myself, just the opposite in fact.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Believer

I posted a comment, that now I regret. While what I said was in fact true, the spirit in which it was said was confrontational. To all who were offended, please accept my sincere apology. Im an addict. Im flawed, Im sorry
Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

i

Last edited by mowhawk2; 01-19-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: oops I posted this wrong
Old 01-19-2007, 08:04 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Can you tell me where I might find this content in the BB, we were discussing it in my group session tonight.

[QUOTE=Abbadun;1172963]Hi Sugah

The BB has a dated but positive message to Women and regardless of what era of the BB message to Atheists, it is negative. Starting with the inevitable Alcoholic death Atheist will experience to how low the Founders found the the nature and character of Atheists to be.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thanks?

Thanks for what doorknob, all I posted was the letter I.....lol.....I guess my shower curtain must have gotten the hiccups....lol
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

There was a post there...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

"Unless each A.A. member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant."
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, William G. Wilson, page 174.

"At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God..."
The Big Book, William G. Wilson, page 77.

Hey, I just want to recover from alcoholism. It sounds like my prospective recovery is going to be fraught with danger as an atheist. Not very encouraging to me!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:47 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Take what you want - or what you need - and leave the rest.

Get well. That's all any recovering alcoholic wants for his peers.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Quotes

Sorry about that one Doorknob, I was trying to figure out how to post quotes and I got it way wrong. When I went to edit I guess I screwed that up too. I will figure this all out I promise.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi

First paragraph of "How It Works" Chapter 5

[QUOTE=mowhawk2;1180152]Can you tell me where I might find this content in the BB, we were discussing it in my group session tonight.

Hi Sugah

The BB has a dated but positive message to Women and regardless of what era of the BB message to Atheists, it is negative. Starting with the inevitable Alcoholic death Atheist will experience to how low the Founders found the the nature and character of Atheists to be.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi Paul

Where is that written in AA text??

"Living Sober" says something like that but the book is not even conference approved!!

AB

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
Take what you want - or what you need - and leave the rest.

Get well. That's all any recovering alcoholic wants for his peers.