SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Bon voyage (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/98991-bon-voyage.html)

Five 07-25-2006 11:15 AM

Bon voyage

People here are on their own journeys, that I should take into account - and I should'nt be so snide in some of my comments. Eq pointed out that there is a time and a place for criticisim, and I humbly admit that perhaps here is not the best place. So, after a cappucino and some CBT, I do feel that the best thing for me is to move on, away from the thing that bothers me so much.

I know I have said this in the past - the moving on thing - and come whinning back with my tail between my legs, but I think I am now past the contemplation stage and ready to put in some action in (besides, I spend much of my day at work at SR, and if I put that much effort into my job then I might actually get somewhere!).

One thing I have learnt from my recovery experience is that there are many different ways of looking at things - that I have a perceptual filter from which I make sense of the world. And I have a right to choose what is best for me. I now actually realise how achingly wonderful science and discovery is. And how I can examine, understand, and appreciate the world and myself with a critical, investigative mind.

I do feel I played a small part in getting the news out that there is other ways to recover, and if AA or someones elses perceptual filter is making you feel [I]ill[I] then it does not necessarily mean 'jail, institutions, or death'. People talk here about 'beliefs'. What a discovery them little units in the mind are.

Anyway, sometimes its best to walk away, and adopt something new. So I am gonna duck out of SR and concentrate on things that can improve my life, bit by bit, over time.

Take care, you rock. 5

equus 07-25-2006 11:19 AM

OI!!

Don't go! Not unless you want to.

We **** up.
We learn.
We have something to add.

Ok - the don't go bit was selfish - all things recovery aside I just like you on here, I like chatting to you.

minnie 07-25-2006 11:20 AM

Good luck, sweetie, and good job on making a decision that's right for you. And if it isn't in the future, then I'll welcome you back with open arms.

My e-mail is on my profile if you ever want a blether.

aloneagainor 07-25-2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Five
away from the thing that bothers me so much.

Five,
Curious what disruptive thing happened, and wonder if it's another of those unsettling learning experiences from which we grow?

I've SO enjoyed meeting you here in recent days. Seems like just when I'm at the end of my rope and ready to give up, another lead comes along, seemingly stringing me along by a thread. They come along and fall away in such rapid succession. I suppose that's a lesson in itself, that nothing is lasting, everything is subject to change at any time, and there's nothing external that can be relied on to be there from one moment to the next. The only thing that we can control are our own choices, what we choose to engage, to consider, to allow in or edit out, and how we choose to react. It's all internal. Everything else comes and goes in a continuous ebb and flow all around us.

In the short time since I met you here you've provided me with such reassurance that engaging my mind freely, fearlessly, openly, and honestly, is the greatest gift anyone could give to themselves AND those around them, well, those who choose to listen, that is. And if no-one is listening, that's fine too, so long as the mind remains invested in pursuit of understanding.

I wish you the BEST on your journey, wherever that may lead you.

PaperDolls 07-25-2006 12:57 PM

Five -- I really do enjoy reading your posts. I'll miss you if you are gone. I want to wish you well in what ever you do.

Please know - you will be missed around here. :Val004:

~doll:kitty:

historyteach 07-25-2006 01:48 PM

Five,
The door is always open; you know that... :hug:

Be well...expecially on your smoke cessation journey. Please stop in once in a while to let us know how it's going... :e058:

Shalom!

Autumn 07-25-2006 02:06 PM

(((Five)))

Just look how loved you are pally!!

You know I know how you feel. Sometimes I just read and not post..... lately it's what I have been doing a lot; taking a break from the "recovery" biz.....

Perhaps you might do some CBT on what's bothering you, and work on some ways to change those feelings? Just a thought. Maybe delegate your time better, and not long on as much from work. No sense losing your livelihood!

You contribute much more than you realize to SR. That was a nice post tho Five. Thanks for sharing. I have an itch to move on as well, and I'm in a real awkward state of mind regarding that..... just can't put my finger on it. I think maybe I'll just check in every so often. Sometimes SR seems more of an escape than therapeutic. There's just so much life to be lived. There's a lot out there I'm missing out on..... getting out of the house besides work and errands for starters.

Yes, I understand. I hope you will consider not leaving for good tho.

(((hugs)))

c'est la vie 07-25-2006 02:35 PM

Bummer.
You will be missed.

Autumn 07-26-2006 01:25 AM

Don't go (((pally))).....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...2279107460.jpg

aloneagainor 07-26-2006 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Autumn

Whoa...there it is!!! This is the image in mind that led me here one week ago...

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Two nights ago I had a dream wherein I met Five. A loping green dinosaur. That was your avatar a few months back, was it not? Apparently worked its way into my subconscious. You were a quiet, peaceful character, who sat in the background listening, but your presense was strong and one of quiet contemplation...
Wow, Five, to see you've started a thread on Balance. I'm indescribably grateful. Just when I think I'm done, I'm reminded that so long as I keep listening and tuning in (rather than out), that peace and balance and all that I'm so desperately seeking can be found. I've not found it yet...but I know to keep following where I'm led. Gratefully...

The search is still on, LIFE is a constant search, if we so choose. OK...onward with the day...

doorknob 07-26-2006 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Five
People here are on their own journeys, that I should take into account - and I should'nt be so snide in some of my comments. Eq pointed out that there is a time and a place for criticisim, and I humbly admit that perhaps here is not the best place. So, after a cappucino and some CBT, I do feel that the best thing for me is to move on, away from the thing that bothers me so much.

I know I have said this in the past - the moving on thing - and come whinning back with my tail between my legs, but I think I am now past the contemplation stage and ready to put in some action in (besides, I spend much of my day at work at SR, and if I put that much effort into my job then I might actually get somewhere!).

One thing I have learnt from my recovery experience is that there are many different ways of looking at things - that I have a perceptual filter from which I make sense of the world. And I have a right to choose what is best for me. I now actually realise how achingly wonderful science and discovery is. And how I can examine, understand, and appreciate the world and myself with a critical, investigative mind.

I do feel I played a small part in getting the news out that there is other ways to recover, and if AA or someones elses perceptual filter is making you feel [i]ill[i] then it does not necessarily mean 'jail, institutions, or death'. People talk here about 'beliefs'. What a discovery them little units in the mind are.

Anyway, sometimes its best to walk away, and adopt something new. So I am gonna duck out of SR and concentrate on things that can improve my life, bit by bit, over time.

Take care, you rock. 5

I'm right behind you bloke...

PaperDolls 07-26-2006 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by doorknob
I'm right behind you bloke...

:hypnotize What?!