SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Ot - Its Hot In London (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/98546-ot-its-hot-london.html)

Five 07-19-2006 06:58 AM

Ot - Its Hot In London

Boy, its so f:@king HOT in London I almost feel like crying. I actually told the Sun to 'leave me alone' out on my fag break.

HATE IT ITS AWFUL.

AAAAAAArgh.

Needed to get that out.

paulmh 07-19-2006 07:27 AM

v hot in Lancashire too and what's worse is that I had meetings out all day - had to wear clothes!

Maybe we Brits need a "weather in recovery" forum.

PaperDolls 07-19-2006 07:30 AM

Boy, its so f:@king HOT in Kansas. The high is expected to be 101 and it's not a dry heat either -- with the dew point it will feel like 110!

I feel for ya Five......

Okay, this is totally OT but where does the term Fag come from? When we say that in the US, it's bad! Fag break here does not mean Smoke break.

~doll

Five 07-19-2006 07:35 AM

Dont know about the fag thing. Paul???

It means homosexual in the US. Tricky for me saying things out there like 'I have just had a fag'.

Blake 07-19-2006 07:45 AM

It's also very effin hot in louisiana to day it's supposed to rain.....while being 90 something degrees out......I'm gonna feel like steamed vegatables.

PaperDolls 07-19-2006 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Five
Dont know about the fag thing. Paul???

It means homosexual in the US. Tricky for me saying things out there like 'I have just had a fag'.

Yup - and to me it's a derogatory term for homosexual. I think to most in the US it is. I was just curious. I remember the first time I heard some use that term for smoking -- and I was so confused.

Blake -- steamed vegetables? LOL That cracked me up!:banana: What type of veggie?

Five 07-19-2006 08:03 AM

I see - yeah, it has got a certain venom.

It is for smoking. 'Fags' are smokes. I use it so much because cigggerettetess is such a hard word to spell.

PaperDolls 07-19-2006 08:13 AM

I see - yeah, it has got a certain venom.

It is for smoking. 'Fags' are smokes. I use it so much because cigggerettetess is such a hard word to spell.

Yeah -- cigggerettetess -- it's a toughy for sure! I know Fags are smokes - now I know that but didn't used to. I was just curious how it came about. I'm not offended by it when I know someone is using it as a smoke. :banana:

bahookie 07-19-2006 08:16 AM

hot in glasgow and we've moving office for the past 2 days. last night when i got home I couldn't speak I was so knackered!
i really don't want to move any other furniture, even the janitors were sweating buckets by 8am.

ps I've just had a fag too :)

PaperDolls 07-19-2006 08:29 AM

I've never had a fag but I smoke way too much. I've had a lesbian, but not while smoking. :)
seriously, we've been together for 8 years.

Alright - what's knackered? I seriously need a dictionary.

Five 07-19-2006 08:32 AM

you can run into difficulties wiht that one to.

To some its: tired.

Otehrs its a place where horses go to get that nuts chopped off

bahookie 07-19-2006 08:33 AM

LOL! Same here:D

Jane
xxx

Five 07-19-2006 08:34 AM

serious. Its the worst place to go if your a horse. They must HATE it.

bahookie 07-19-2006 08:35 AM

lol well none to chop so must just be tired oooot

J
xxx

PaperDolls 07-19-2006 08:35 AM

:c032: You've got to be kidding me Five! :c033:

Five 07-19-2006 08:38 AM

Nope. People in England mean when they say knackered they mean 'tired'. But a Knacker yard is where horses go to dispense of their...er...parts.

PaperDolls 07-19-2006 08:52 AM

Well darn -- why would one knacker a horse?

rose petals 07-19-2006 09:04 AM

100's in oregon , usa--maybe the worlds about to blow up because of all the turmoil
Laura

equus 07-19-2006 09:27 AM

you can run into difficulties wiht that one to.

To some its: tired.

Otehrs its a place where horses go to get that nuts chopped off

Nope - the horse one is wrong. In horse world knackers are either horses only fit for the knackers yard (YARD where nuts are chopped off and in the old days horses stepped into a new career as adhesives) OR Knackers can be the testicles (eg a male horse with no knackers is a gelding!).

I think 'Knackered' meaning tired came from the word being used for broken down horses (signifying their fate and future relationship with envelopes).

These days butchers no longer castrate horses - the vet does it but places where horses are slaughtered for meat are still refered to as 'knackers yard'!!

It's an old world we live in.....

AND IT IS TOO BLOODY HOT!!!

paulmh 07-19-2006 10:56 AM

"God grant me the serenity to accept the weather I cannot change, the courage to change the weather I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"