Bertrand Russell - The Humanist

Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

LOL -- I noticed some missing commas but wasn't going to say anything. And, I wondered about you editing it. I was thinking if I typed something I wrote my first year of college I would totally be editing it!

We think too much alike sometimes dk!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
. My feelings about religion are best described by a quote by David Hume: "A wise man proportions his beliefs to the evidence."
Wow. I've been floundering in recent days, watching hopeful connections disintegrate, figuring that despite all attempts there was just no chance of relating to much of anyone anywhere (save a couple unbelievably open-minded precious and enduring long-time friends, and a couple seemingly developing ones, or so I'm encouraged). Came close in college in the late 80's, through the Cultural Anthropology and English coursework (minor/ major respectively), but those, too, were solitary pursuits. Why did I not stop to consider this forum before. Today is my first stop here and I am soooo impressed by ALL I've found so far. People saying things that make SENSE to my rational-focused mind-heavy way of processing/ integrating information/ insights into my life. Again now, I see a ray of hope. Eager to read more....
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by PaperDolls
LOL -- I noticed some missing commas but wasn't going to say anything. And, I wondered about you editing it. I was thinking if I typed something I wrote my first year of college I would totally be editing it!

We think too much alike sometimes dk!
I thought about it, but decided to post exactly what I turned in. Because once I start to edit...

Old 07-20-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Why did I not stop to consider this forum before. Today is my first stop here and I am soooo impressed by ALL I've found so far. People saying things that make SENSE to my rational-focused mind-heavy way of processing/ integrating information/ insights into my life. Again now, I see a ray of hope. Eager to read more....
This forum is pretty new, you haven't missed it for long. And I feel the same way.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by doorknob
I thought about it, but decided to post exactly what I turned in. Because once I start to edit...

I know I know -- people like us, once we start we can't stop!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
alconaut

Thumbs up Good job!

That was a very interesting read DK, and pretty fab for being first-year and all. I didn't really notice many typographical errors, but then my grammar/punctuation is far from accurate, even now. Well done pally.

Were you amazed when reflecting upon what you wrote, your thoughts then, and how very little has changed? That's how I felt when I read mine again!

I almost don't want to post it; it's pretty amateurish in comparison, really. I'll wait, since I would like to read further comments on what you wrote.

You paper has me reflecting upon how far mankind has come over thousands of years. From star gazing as a means of finding direction, to TerraServer USA.

I liked your closing sentence, also. It was a nice finishing touch.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Engaging

I just read Russell's "Why I Am Not A Christian". Gracious thanks for the thread Five, and the link to the essay PaperDolls. The concluding paragraph is so profound.

What We Must Do
We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world -- its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness; see the world as it is and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. The whole conception of God is a conception derived from the ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time toward a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Autumn
That was a very interesting read DK, and pretty fab for being first-year and all. I didn't really notice many typographical errors, but then my grammar/punctuation is far from accurate, even now. Well done pally.

Were you amazed when reflecting upon what you wrote, your thoughts then, and how very little has changed? That's how I felt when I read mine again!

I almost don't want to post it; it's pretty amateurish in comparison, really. I'll wait, since I would like to read further comments on what you wrote.

You paper has me reflecting upon how far mankind has come over thousands of years. From star gazing as a means of finding direction, to TerraServer USA.

I liked your closing sentence, also. It was a nice finishing touch.
Thanks Autumn. :shysmile: I'm not very good at taking compliments. I'm cooking at this little dinky tavern called 'The Hitching Post,' and the gal who was working the front asked me to check a table, because she was doing paperwork for selling a keg. She prefaced it with "I don't let any of the other cooks help attend to my customers, but I trust you." I'm still in disbelief. I've only been there for a few weeks. Although, I've been bringing them their newspapers every week for a couple of years now. But still...

I'm not sure if I'm suprised at my beliefs not changing, but I did notice that they hadn't.

Hey, I'm sure your paper is just fine, and really, mine was no masterpiece. It was fun to post it though. I like these lines you wrote: