It’s not me it’s my AV

Old 12-05-2022, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s not me it’s my AV

I keep repeating to myself I’m not the one who wants to drink. It’s not me it’s my AV!
I want to be healthy
I want to be whole
I want to be free. I’m so sad I relapsed but it doesn’t matter. The AV looks back I don’t. I must keep forwarding on.

The separation is so key. It becomes hard when I don’t catch it.
it really is like an identity crisis this AVRT

Anyone else have any helpful mantras?
there is so little on AVRT apart from this site
Maybe it’s the AV even me trying to find more to read.
What more is there to say if I’ve read the rational recovery book which I have about twenty times
Old 12-05-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome Lisa

if you haven't already please do check out our other forum
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ased-recovery/

You'll find more there about AVRT and Rational Recovery

D
Old 12-05-2022, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Lisa, when you said "I want to be whole" it made me think of something you might find helpful. Its a letter from Carl Jung to an alcoholic which addresses this point. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ng-letter.html
All the best to you.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you made a Big Plan?
Old 12-06-2022, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome
yes I’ve made a big plan. I have SLAMMED the door on the AV! The torturous way of trying to moderate myself with drinking. I have a cabinet of old pain meds I have no interest in. I’m in no way enticed to use them. It’s not my thing. But drinking is another story. It’s been my battle for years, the thorn in my side.
I can’t do AA it made me worse - as it disempowered me and it’s depressing. AVRT is the only thing that ever worked. It’s really empowering when u do it.

CBT works for a day or two until I then convince myself one drink never hurt anyone........
well it leads me back to the ******* and fast. The baffling confusing humiliating state of realizing I’ve done it again. I’m a drunk crap mom.
So my big plan is made. The only mental illness I’ve ever had was believing I’m the one who wants to drink
Old 12-06-2022, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now I feel like I’m in the “remembering” phase. I have to remember to separate phase. Life is overwhelming. I’m slammed with social media images of people drinking having a good time celebrating. So I’m coming here. I’d go to AA and that was the only helpful part. Staying focused the first few weeks.
might try to meditate daily practicing intensely letting go of my thoughts. I feel really committed to not go back into the *******
Old 12-06-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find letting go of my thoughts helpful. I like the mantra, "I don't drink no matter what." A friend of mine with a lot of sobriety asked me to come up with the worst situations, such as death of someone close to me, severe illness, sudden misfortunes, and ask myself if I would drink because of it. Usually, my reasons to drink are much more futile, simply something very small not going my way, like my property manager not responding to me right away, or watching prices go up by fifty cents on my favorite items. Other times, when I get stressed out because my 7 year old isn't following my directions or is acting like a 7 year old. Not getting my way and not being in control are big triggers for me.

What are your triggers that get the AV calling out to you? I also get the, 'you can have just one drink', this is the one that has to be smashed. The other thoughts come and go, but the thought that I can return to drink normally, (if I ever have), is the foundation of my sobriety. It is just not a possibility. I also repeat the serenity prayer.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lisagirl.

Hope you check the link Dee provided; it is full of great information.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lisa, I’m not sure I understand your issue. Are you troubled by the presence of the AV? Are you having trouble with recognition?

You seem to have a good attitude and made your Big Plan, this is great.

Have you read all 6 parts of the AVRT thread? It’s an awesome supplement to the book and it answers many questions. I know it’s a long read, but it’s worth it. Here’s the link to part 1

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion-Part 1)
Old 12-06-2022, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BTW, there is only one “mantra” used in AVRT - “I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.”
Old 12-08-2022, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by msl999 View Post
BTW, there is only one “mantra” used in AVRT - “I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.”
+1, same for me! It's work for me for ten years now!
Old 12-08-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow I love that! Thank you all

my big plan is made and I will never drink again or change my mind.
ahhhh feels good! Almost feels too good like how many times have I done this before and relapsed? Yep there is the AV

how do u all view your beast?
mine is like Chucky - an evil little whiny mis behaving child
or maybe I should call it Dementor like in Harry Potter
or maybe I should just call it Satan since I’m a Christian. It’s not easy to remember to separate.
Separating is easy to do but to catch it is sometimes tricky. Is it really real this AV? It’s just me right? I feel like a drink, I’m making too much of this...... blah blah all AV’s tricks.

Gotta stay focused! Reading the RR book a little everyday.
Another day free. Yipeeeee free as a child again to be me.
Not one more day will be wasted drinking. Take that Beast! Not one more day.
Addiction is an identity crisis. I’m onto u Beast
Old 12-08-2022, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A recurring Dynamic for many of us revolves around lil 'Moments Of Truth'. Coincidentally, the title of a Book that was mandatory reading in the Business Universe I was in.

Applied to my AV, there are any number of 'Moments Of Truth'. Me, I tended to somehow 'black out' during them. Not literally, but in terms of putting aside responsibility to not pick up at such times. So - BOOM - there I was again in one of several Liquor Stores buying some Shooters to take to the Dog Park in the morning until I could get really serious, and start chugging from one of several 1.75 Liter 'Handles' of Vodka always available from one of several hiding places.

Stopping myself at such moments was really tough. It was as if someone took over my Muscles and Being and Decision Making. All the writing here, and the chat, and the committment didn't mean squat. I had to somehow get a grip and not act on what this Alien AV was 'ordering' me to do. My Consciousness had to be reorIented to the millisecond moment of NOW where pick-up decisions are made [and Booze ignored].

It's cheesy, but maybe wearing a Rubber Band on your Wrist and snapping it at these moments might shock you back into not acting on your own Alien AV Directives. In any case, seizing conrol of those moments, and not acting on them, was key to setting myself free. By any reasonable assessment, I was in a sort of Mental Illness. My resolve and permanent action had to come from within. I had to own it. So long as 'it' was outside of me, I never felt as if I could integrate needed action into my 'real' Being. This is why AVRT worked for me.

9 Years ago this January. Free at last...
Old 12-09-2022, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mesa man that was so helpful
sorry not sure how u reply on here but please know how helpful that was. I intuitively understand what you are saying.
I actually just ordered a book on Amazon called Own it! All about owning your problems as key to success.
I’m definitely taking responsibility for this addiction to alcohol
Its an uncomfortable moment dis engaging in that moment of small struggle. It does pass. The mind wants to tell me it’s awful- I can’t cope. All AV
Becoming the watcher seems like a life long practice and that’s ok with me. I think it’s being human
the AV I call the mind. I see them as the same thing. Satan really as that’s what’s helping me right now

if looks could kill....... hmmmm well with AVRT they do
Old 01-22-2023, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lisagirl41 View Post
how do u all view your beast?
mine is like Chucky - an evil little whiny mis behaving child
or maybe I should call it Dementor like in Harry Potter
or maybe I should just call it Satan since I’m a Christian. It’s not easy to remember to separate.
Separating is easy to do but to catch it is sometimes tricky. Is it really real this AV? It’s just me right? I feel like a drink, I’m making too much of this...... blah blah all AV’s tricks.
Yes, he's like Chucky, but I have never separated my AV from myself. While I like the idea of framing him as something other than myself, and I think that may help a lot of people, I have always been aware that my AV is just me, and not even an ugly "other me." It's just me, but it's the part of me that lies to myself and is driven by self serving emotion that works against my own best interests.

It's like I'm aware that I can actually excel at being really stupid, and I have to pause every once in a while and think logically, or my gifted AV will take over and sabotage me.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Free.

Allen Carr or Annie Grace are authors that work on the empowerment end of things. They’ll also claim to re-train our minds into a healthier perspective on alcohol.

I agree with you about not wanting to be disempowered. Feeling esteem in our (my) positive choices has been motivating and empowering to me as of late.

Be well.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lots of people have gotten good benefits from reading “Alcohol Explained” by William Porter as well— I listen to it on Audiobook in my car and it has really helped. Favorite mantra from a friend: “I never drink now” (as it is always a new now, works great )
Old 02-06-2023, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ah, but Hawkeye, it sounds good, that mantra, but fact is that it hasn’t worked great in stopping the person from going back to drinking :-(
Old 02-07-2023, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

But fini that mantra only doesn’t work if you don’t do it. Mantras aren’t the doing , practically by definition.
Someone who never drinks now , won’t drink again.
Do or do not , there is no try that’s ‘nother good one
Old 02-07-2023, 07:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yes, dwtdn, i know, mantra isn’t the doing. or the not-doing.