Alcohol Explained: Another Book

Old 07-16-2021, 06:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
quat

Without all the drops there’d be no ocean .
Old 07-17-2021, 05:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Yesterday was dicey for me - travel, 3 hrs traffic, road construction that peaks my deepest anxiety, out of my comfort zone. I had packed this book with me as i am about half way through.

The AV was on hyperdrive during the trip. I knew I was on shakey ground and decided in the car that if I couldn’t reorient back to “never drinking again and never changing my mind” by the time I got to the hotel, I was going to post an SOS here before I went full throttle into the bottle.

Got to the room and collapsed on the bed. Read a few more chapters but couldn’t focus as all I could think about was procuring some immediate relief. Closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths and grit my teeth and just waited….

All of a sudden, (as I kept repeating over and over and over in my head “you don’t drink poison, you DONT DRINK POISON” until it was on autopilot) absolute peace came over me. I couldn’t believe it.

My brain did what it was supposed to do as far as releasing the proper chemicals to settle me down !!!

Another day closer to ending this misery once and for all…

XO AO
Old 07-17-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nice work alphaomega!! There is nothing better than going to be sober and waking up sober!
Old 07-17-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow; well done, AO - so proud of you.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats awesome AO

D
Old 07-17-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Boy, whatever happened, AO, rinse & repeat. Put that bit of Will, focus, intervention from The Universe - or, all the above - and summon that power again as req'd. That's really spectacular that the real you made it happen that way w/o being a Victim at the mercy of our sometimes-relentless AV.

Well done!
Old 07-18-2021, 04:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
All of a sudden, (as I kept repeating over and over and over in my head “you don’t drink poison, you DONT DRINK POISON” until it was on autopilot) absolute peace came over me. I couldn’t believe it.
I have had that happen to me once early in recovery. It wasn't about drinking. It was about my mind racing so fast that I was losing control. I just said, "I don't have time for this anymore in my life," and it stopped right then, and I've never had a recurrence. I It's hard to believe we have that much control over our minds, but sometimes we do. I'm not sure why this happens. But it's good to know we have that kind of power in us.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bil
Mender

I read this thread and bought the book. (Kindle version.) A week or so ago. I'm about half way through the book, and it's fine, but not nearly as compelling as this thread.
The main reason I stalled out on Alcohol Explained is because I got my hands on Never Enough, by Judith Grisel. I'll start a new thread about that.
I'll start a thread about myself too, maybe. (As the saying goes, I'm not much, but I'm all I think about.) But seriously -
I so appreciate reading the insights and struggles and the strength here. To recap from above, "moral" judgements and preaching have never helped me. Compassion and understanding have helped me. Also, clear, evidence-based information has helped me.
For my life to have meaning, I would like to be helpful to other addicts.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bil View Post
I read this thread and bought the book.
After I read Alcohol Explained, I went and bought Diet and Fitness Explained, which follows the same format and is offered as an alternative to all of those "Eat All the Calories You Want and Lose Weight" type diet scams.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Do you think that knowing all these facts the book discusses about alcoholism would have helped you stop sooner, DriGuy? Not questioning it, just curious as to how you see the possibility in retrospect.
I read the book Yesterday. Yesterday was the first day I have been sober for many months. I believe the book helped me in part. But I also believe that it all depends on the person reading it, where they are at, etc.

KP
Old 08-08-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done keeppushing! How are you doing today?