Patcha's Daily Precept Vow - feel free to join in!

Old 09-18-2021, 04:52 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Today I vow to keep the 5th precept and abstain from intoxicants. I dedicate the merit of my daily meditation to the end of addiction and suffering for all beings.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Today I vow to keep the 5th precept and abstain from intoxicants. I dedicate the merit of my daily meditation to the end of addiction and suffering for all beings.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:13 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Old 09-24-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Old 09-25-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Today I vow to keep the 5th precept and abstain from intoxicants, including alcohol and excess food. I dedicate the merit of my daily meditation to the end of addiction and suffering for all beings.

It’s very important that we re-learn the art of resting and relaxing. Not only does it help prevent the onset of many illnesses that develop through chronic tension and worrying; it allows us to clear our minds, focus, and find creative solutions to problems. – Thich Hat Hanh
Old 09-26-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Today I vow to keep the 5th precept and abstain from intoxicants including alcohol and excess food. I dedicate the merit of my daily meditation to the end of addiction and suffering for all beings.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:36 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Today I vow to keep the 5th precept and abstain from intoxicants, including alcohol and excess food. I dedicate the merit of my daily meditation to the end of addiction and suffering for all beings.

"Listening to and understanding our inner suffering will resolve most of the problems we encounter." - Thich Nhat Hanh.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:11 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Old 10-02-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

To see our own mind clearly, without being caught up in its movement, to watch thought without trying to do anything with or about it, simply seeing it and letting it go, this is the way to freedom. - Luang Por Teean
Old 10-04-2021, 07:55 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Today I vow to keep the 5th precept and abstain from intoxocants. I dedicate the merit of my daily meditation to the end of addiction and suffering for all beings.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

You're doing great, @Patcha!
Old 10-06-2021, 02:35 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
You're doing great, @Patcha!
Thanks! I am doing my best!
Old 10-06-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

“Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing. We think the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” - Pema Chodron.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” - Pema Chodron.
This is the human experience. And it's depressing, for I have no control, not really. I remember reading a Pema Chodron book, when I first set out on my 'conquering addiction journey' many years ago. It was about 'groundlessness' and conquering fear. On reflection, I guess it's about deciding not to fight the 'things' over which I have 'no control', and to simply accept them. Whilst not being afraid to fight the things which I find wrong, and over which I may have control.

Life is so complex, I wish I could just plug into social-media hype-type distractions - and zombify myself.....oh wait....I did that with alcohol.

You're doing great Patcha 🤗.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks Fusion. I love Pema Chodron's wisdom. I only discovered her recently.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Old 10-10-2021, 01:23 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Old 10-11-2021, 01:30 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Old 10-12-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the life of the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering by all means, including personal contact and visits, images, sounds. By such means, …awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world. If we get in touch with the suffering of the world, and are moved by that suffering, we may come forward to help the people who are suffering. - Thich Nhat Hanh.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 100 (permalink)