Blogs

Notices

AV - Addictive Voice: Interested in discussing?

Old 04-06-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
Yes. That's the book most of us are usually discussing here. The author also wrote another one earlier called The Small Book (I believe the title contains a bit of sarcasm ), but the one you cited is more comprehensive and came out a bit later. You can download a free copy online.
I went ahead and bought the book too. Been reading it the last 2 evenings. All the free downloads I found had pages missing, plus I like to read in bed and the blue light from an electronic devices screen messes up my sleep patterns.

Should have read it years ago. In 2003 or so, I just did the Crash Course on the web page, made a Big Plan and quit for 3 years, 7 months. Then that 4th year I got half assed and allowed a dialogue with my AV instead of shutting it down like I had always done before...What a dumbass!
The Following User Says Thank You to JustJohn For This Useful Post:
Aellyce2 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 03:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just an aside. For those who don't mind reading e-books, perfectly complete free, decent quality, I believe scanned versions of the RR book are available via Library Genesis (one of my favorite places on the web to get all sorts of books, BTW). They can also be loaded into a book-reading app and read much like any e-book.

JustJohn - in the last ~10 years I read much more electronically than paper books, but the blue light was an issue definitely in the past. I kinda resolved it by downloading programs on my devices (laptops and phone) that changes your device's light system and tries to mimic the natural circadian cycles. There are different such softwares available for free on the web and I definitely find them helpful. First I thought I would not like staring at an orangey screen at night, but it never bothered me, felt natural from start.

Hope this post does not count as advertising, I just love the ability to do so much of my reading and have my book collections electronically. I go at great lengths to optimize it .
The Following User Says Thank You to Aellyce2 For This Useful Post:
JustJohn (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
In 2003 or so, I just did the Crash Course on the web page, made a Big Plan and quit for 3 years, 7 months. Then that 4th year I got half assed and allowed a dialogue with my AV instead of shutting it down like I had always done before...What a dumbass!
The Big Plan does not have a 4th year clause that says “go ahead and drink some more if you get half assed about permanent abstinence”. What you had was a stop-for-a-while-plan. You can only make a Big Plan once in your life due to the obvious reason of logic. But you can still make a Big Plan any time you want. It only takes around one minute.

Following the making of a Big Plan, dialogue with your AV can never lead to drinking. It is just a form of “shifting” back and forth between YOU and IT. YOU talking at IT. If you have made a Big Plan you cannot fail to RE-cognize your AV every time before alcohol makes its way into a cup in your hand that you would pour into your mouth.

Occasionally, over the decades, I have held glasses of alcoholic beverages to hand to other people. Those occasions were completely insignificant to me. I cannot quite remember when or where they happened.

The Following User Says Thank You to GerandTwine For This Useful Post:
dwtbd (04-10-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just to post something positive: I feel very comfortable using AVRT now and like it much better than juggling all sorts of different methods, attending meetings, thinking and talking about my urges too much etc. Have all the time to enjoy my freedom and normal life stuff, only need to deal with the AV sometimes internally. Quite a few people here on SR suggested simplicity to me, and I think I'm really getting the hang of it now and it does feel like the best approach for me. Still a lot of AV chatter overall, but I don't expect that to vanish anytime soon. I like looking forward, it's also my natural tendency. Just wish I had arrived at this state earlier, but oh well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aellyce2 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-08-2021), dwtbd (04-08-2021), MesaMan (04-09-2021), silversky (04-14-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
quat

Aellyce
You only quit once, the trick is allowing yourself to enjoy it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dwtbd For This Useful Post:
Aellyce2 (04-09-2021), Dee74 (04-08-2021), MesaMan (04-09-2021)