addiction transfer experience?

Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addiction transfer experience?

My step son's mother is an alcoholic, for decades. She has been crazy pants for years. A couple of years ago after she moved out of state, had her mother move in so she stopped compulsive drinking, but almost immediately started the same crazy pants, obsessive behavior, but her new addiction is Jesus. It's all she talks about. 24/7. Somehow she has transferred one addiction to another.

This is very hard on my stepson (13) He's confided to his dad he's afraid to talk to her, hates that she forces him to go to church twice a week and he's struggling. She will never admit she's an addict and we have been unable to get him to go to Alateen as he doesn't see her drinking anymore. Any tips?
Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm not sure Alateen is the best choice. I think that someone might approach the mother and tell her that forcing her son to attend church could keep him from accepting the religious principles she wants him to adopt. The most important job of a teenager is to develop into an adult, and that involves gradually allowing them to make more and more of their own decisions. Have someone suggest to the mother that forcing religion on her son may have the opposite effect, and that she should think about what is best for him long term.

She had to make a decision about drinking on her own and he will need to do the same with religion.