Happy Summer Solstice

Happy Solstice, fellow godless heathens

Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

Happy Solstice!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a great picture andyh. Did you take that?

It's a lovely day here in Toronto!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Solstice All!

Awesome photo of Stonehenge, Andy. Luuurrrve, that music, BJ......that tune will be playing on repeat on my brain for a few days!

There’s a much smaller, standing stone circle close to me; some stones are missing and hundreds of years ago, someone planted trees were they once were. It’s awesome, I missed this morning,s sunrise, but I’ve decided to visit this evening as the sun sets. The joy of sobriety, spontaneity!

I found a tiny oak tree sapling whilst gardening today, short stem and just five leaves. Reflecting on those folks who lived hundreds of years ago, and planted tiny trees, which are now ginormous: I’ve decided to pot and nurture this wee oak tree, until I can plant it permanently in the ground........where it may live for hundreds of years.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
What a great picture andyh. Did you take that?
I wish - shamelessly borrowed from wikipedia I'm afraid

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
There’s a much smaller, standing stone circle close to me; some stones are missing and hundreds of years ago, someone planted trees were they once were. It’s awesome, I missed this morning,s sunrise, but I’ve decided to visit this evening as the sun sets. The joy of sobriety, spontaneity!
what a good idea! we're a bit short on stone circles down my way, but I think I can find an iron-age hill fort
Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Speaking of awesome music!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw

Can't figure out how to get the image to show...but it is Spinal Tap!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ding ding! back at you.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is going to be a kicka*s summer too! Last summer I was newly sober and wasn't totally comfortable and secure. I was almost afraid to let myself have fun. Not this summer though. I feel fantastic. And not to toot my own horn, but I'm looking better too. I've lost a bunch of weight and I feel bodacious, really healthy and well. My whole outlook on life has changed. Quitting drinking was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself! I highly recommend it.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober Solstice Greetings!

See below a Colorado Sunrise here that is a joy to wake up to while clear-headed. We just took some Visitors to that Black Canyon Of The Gunnison for a day out. The Visitors Center notes that Rocks ~3,000' down in parts have been meticulously dated to being ~1.7 Billion Years old. I'm sure a Marriage to an Ex- would seem longer. However, I have no Ex-. I've only been married once, and we hit 41 Years of Wedded Bliss yesterday.

In our Travels, and back when fascinated with their Single Malts, we hit Scotland repeatedly. The Ring Of Brodgar was quite memorable. It was a thrill to walk among the Stones unimpeded, and alone. My Analytical side appreciated what can be discerned. The Stones, and excavations with Tools of the time, would have required an immense amount of Labor. This means that Tribes back then cooperated. All sorts of other nuance is discerned in Research. Love that stuff! Reflecting a shorter time span, I pick up - and set back down - all sorts of 'Flintknapped' Ute Indian Tools on our Mesa, here.

The inimitable Charlie Sheen is credited with saying 'I had 40 Years of Drinking in me, but I used them up in 20'. Double those values - from age 18 to 60 - and you have my Drinking History. Glad it's forever behind me in Terrestrial Sobriety that is also immutably etched in Stone. What worked for me was to up and quit, as innumerable Ancients did. It's not easy. But, it is simple. Especially with the modern 24/7 support of SR...

- The Ring Of Brodgar -

Old 06-23-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

amazing landscape MesaMan! congrats to you & Mrs MM on 41 years
Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome photo MesaMan! Congratulations to you and MesaLady on 41 years of Wedded Bliss! You two truly rock!
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Years ago we went to Newgrange in Ireland where it was constructed so the chambers align with the winter solstice. What was so incredible was that they did it so well, more that 5000 years ago, that it still aligns to this day. Can you imagine? The math and precision involved..... Sometimes I struggle assembling IKEA furniture!

https://www.newgrange.com/
Old 06-24-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BillieJean ,

Thanks for the link to Newgrange , …..truly fascinating history !!

On a side note ,.... I initially thought your screen name was associated with tennis ,...but after you posted the always incredible Marvin Gaye's ; ….. Got to Give it Up

I'm now wondering if your screen name is a musical reference ?!?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep Billie Jean from the song, my favourite Michael Jackson tune.

I used to be zenchaser, but I always thought is was lame and sounded like the name of a My Little Pony or something lol

Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
waking down

For the solstice this year I went to a little festival in the desert about three hours from my town. It was at a brewpub, but advertised as "alcohol free and drug free event," and that the pub was going to for the first time close the taps and only serve kombucha and soda. I didn't know the musical acts, but I thought I could support that. Oh, and there was camping.

So, early evening went well. The taps were indeed closed. People were pretty well behaved. Just a few folks smoking weed. Later, though, whoa! The party moved to the campground stage and it was a totally different scene. Plenty of alcohol and not sure what they were taking, but a lot of speedy psychedelics. I crawled into my van by midnight and got up just before sunrise. The music was still pumping, and about 30 wide eyed but sleepy tweakers were lurking, but the dancing was over.

I drove out of there shortly after sunrise, music still blaring, zombies eating their own brains... I think the fest organizers intended something clean and sober, but just didn't care what happened in the campground. All good. It was a nice drive.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
This is going to be a kicka*s summer too! Last summer I was newly sober and wasn't totally comfortable and secure. I was almost afraid to let myself have fun. Not this summer though. I feel fantastic. And not to toot my own horn, but I'm looking better too. I've lost a bunch of weight and I feel bodacious, really healthy and well. My whole outlook on life has changed. Quitting drinking was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself! I highly recommend it.

I hope my next summer is like that . It's true the first sober summer is meh but at least I am sober.t
Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

“Do you ever wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it!”

Daisy Buchanan, The Great Gatsby.

Daisy would have it in her Google (or Apple) calendar now...