Conflict

Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Secular just means, not religion-based - that's a lot of territory.
In the real world, perhaps, but in the addiction recovery landscape, this is simply inaccurate.

The secular/religious divide is a direct consequence of the prevalence of 12-Step recovery, and in the context of this forum, 'secular' largely means 'not 12-Step'.

I'm frankly surprised that no one else has caught this, as it is in the SC forum description itself: "Alternatives to 12 Step Recovery."

AVRT does not address grievances from secularists (dictionary definition) against religion. It is simply a logic engine, patterned after the Addictive Voice itself, and when applied, it will identify the Addictive Voice, regardless of the source.

Religious, or otherwise.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

tatsy, just to say that 'staunch AAer' does NOT equate to 'religious God proponent', and i am calling that out not to sideline this thread but because those kinds of statements are harmful misinformation and i see a lot of those kinds of uninformed statements made in SC about AA and they are very close to bashing. They are certainly derogatory and dismissive. yet they are allowed here in SC and numerous.
would i want that censored?
no.
but i would like it acknowledged.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Oh man, I love bacon.

Also, thank you MG, for your time and thoughtful consideration in working to make a place for everyone.

I think my main concern is the "personal attacks" card. You can't throw that card every time someone makes a point you don't agree with. (I'm using "you" in the general sense here, just to clarify).

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK
I was talking about a directed personal attack. Is that ok with you, or not ok?
Personal attacks are not ok with me, which I already clearly stated. What is also not ok with me is framing statements that are not personal attacks as personal attacks. I asked for a specific example so that I could better understand what you mean by that.

On a side note, being dogmatic isn't against the rules is it? Some may find it tiring or off-putting, or not a good way to be, but is it actually against the rules?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honestly, you guys are really intelligent and have really long, wordy posts.
I have a lot of stress all day at work and my brain gets too foggy to read all of it.
If you see a personal attack, report it. Don't assume we see it.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
we clearly need to take two-page breaks in contentious threads to talk about bacon, like in the old days
I love bacon. I went out to dinner a few weeks ago and had bacon in all 3 courses. As an appetizer I had maple glaze, thick cut, apple wood smoked bacon. For an entree it was a chicken breast, wrapped in bacon with a wild mushroom sauce. And for desert a hot fudge sundae with that same maple glazed bacon. It was pretty awesome!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
Why would an AA member want to post here?
Genuine question.
RE,
i don't get the question.
i am a member of AA. why on earth would i not want to post here or anywhere and chat with folks like you?
being a member of AA hasn't turned me into someone who can't be interested in you, your journey to sobriety, or encouraging others in what works for them or in asking questions about any and all "methods".
your question leaves me wondering if being a member of one 'group' to you implies one only wants to interact with other members in that group?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I think everyone should post here.

"Come to the dark side, we have bacon here."
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forums are up and descriptions are updated. I'm really tired so let me know if you want something changed. I still have to put some stickies up and rule definitions, but it's a start.

I also had to be careful with wording due to copyright issues.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Old 04-06-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Sincere thanks, Morning Glory.

From a lil Cafe in Truckee CA on I-80, I present Chocolate-covered Bacon. Dark Chocolate chilled onto thick-cut, salty Bacon.

A Last Meal contenduh in my Book...

Old 04-06-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
waking down

Never mind

Last edited by zerothehero; 04-06-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: I had resonded to a post many pages back.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

I found a personal attack for analysis that I made 12 hours ago here. Post #55

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Who is the student and who is the teacher? That seems to be part of the problem, some people seem to consider themselves self-appointed teachers and decide who the students are, and make use of third-party "examples" to make their teaching points. That's not really consistent with polite discourse on a forum involving many different perspectives, and in fact it strikes some as a bit culty.
I think you’ve done a great job at teaching people all about your beliefs regarding addiction recovery. You are teacher and everyone else is a student of what does JeffreyAK believe. Teaching AVRT is actually quite a more narrow and specific activity since AVRT is a simple dissociative filtering technique. (Which you, Jeffrey believe is a bit culty). That’s ok, too. Nothing harmful in pointing out what you believe. But that doesn’t mean I can’t point out what AVRT is.
My response above was identified as follows:

So here we go with the directed personal attacks.
I tried to quickly resolve it by claiming my mistake and apologizing. I immediately rewrote it without any personal identifying information and didn’t hear any more complaints.

Originally Posted by GerandTwine

Your right, sorry Jeffrey,

Here’s what I should have posted. Please accept my apologies.

I think some have done a great job at teaching people all about their beliefs regarding addiction recovery. They are teachers and everyone else is a student of what they believe. Teaching AVRT is actually quite a more narrow and specific activity since AVRT is a simple dissociative filtering technique. (Which some may have negative beliefs about). That’s ok, too. Nothing harmful in pointing out what someone believes. But that doesn’t mean I can’t point out what AVRT is.

My purpose was to focus on the teacher student conundrum.
So, I’m guessing to avoid being an attacker, just don’t name anyone.

For instance it’s ok for someone to accuse someone else of impolite and cultish behavior, and because no one is named it is not an attack. (notice I’m not using any names right now to hopefully avoid this post being called an attack.)

Whereas, if a named person is accused of being a teacher and the rest of us students, that is an attack needing immediate identification and attention.

I’m not sure, is this deduction on track?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
here's an example of what I would consider constructive discussion regarding AVRT:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6845471 (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 6)
Perhaps part of the problem is that no one in Secular Connections has yet to start anything resembling the breadth, scope, and purpose of the AVRT discussion threads, only with a different method as the subject matter?

Why has no one started a LifeRing or SMART discussion thread, for example? Would that not be constructive in balancing the perceived influence of AVRT on Secular Connections?

All that is needed is another Terminally Unique...
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Ok, I think I understand better now. When a poster says something like:
Who is the student and who is the teacher? That seems to be part of the problem, some people seem to consider themselves self-appointed teachers and decide who the students are, and make use of third-party "examples" to make their teaching points. That's not really consistent with polite discourse on a forum involving many different perspectives, and in fact it strikes some as a bit culty.
they aren't really attacking Gerandtwine by calling him impolite or culty, just someone else who has "used a third party example to make a teaching point" exactly the way Gerandtwine has done, but not like not him specifically or anything.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

If it matters to you, and I'm convinced now that it does not matter, I did not have any specific person in mind, certainly not GeraldTwine. You are, of course, free to read whatever you like into anything.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm
All that is needed is another Terminally Unique...
Ahh, if only we could have him here. I nominate you to fill his shoes.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
Forums are up and descriptions are updated. I'm really tired so let me know if you want something changed. I still have to put some stickies up and rule definitions, but it's a start.

I also had to be careful with wording due to copyright issues.
Thank you for all your efforts here!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
If it matters to you, and I'm convinced now that it does not matter, I did not have any specific person in mind, certainly not GeraldTwine. You are, of course, free to read whatever you like into anything.
Here we have another example. “You” above will likely be explained as meaning the generic “you”. Not specifically me or Soberlicious. Because if it really meant me and/or Soberlicious it would be a snide attack at our being pig-headed and stubbornly rigid because we are unable to consider a different view of what was going on in someone’s mind.

But I have come up with another discovery. It IS OK to name a person specifically and it won’t be an attack, IF it is in regards to a disclaimer about that person being the subject of an observation.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I can appreciate that self-appointed teachers and culty people don't appeal to your senses, but are they breaking the rules by being that way?

Also, I asked about a specific example of a personal attack that you've experienced here that breaks the rules of the forum.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I can appreciate that self-appointed teachers and culty people don't appeal to your senses, but are they breaking the rules by being that way?
I don't make rules, but if you read back I did not claim that self-appointed teachers and culty people necessarily break any rules, not just by being self-appointed teachers and culty people. I was offering an opinion, one you seem to have a problem with, but that's fine, you're as free to disagree as I am to offer an opinion. In all forums, of all flavors and not just on this site, we come across people with opinions we don't agree with. As long as everyone is polite, it can all work out.