Great to see this forum

Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Great to see this forum

It has been a number of years since I have posted here and I just wanted to say how happy I am that this forum is still alive and well. I had lobbied for a forum like this for a long time and the fear was that it would devolve into flame wars between 12-step and non 12-step people. Glad to see that hasn't happened. We are all here to get help and support in our recovery no matter what path we choose.

As for me, things have gotten much better since I have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar and have begun getting proper medication. I have also been getting regular counseling, which is really helping me get my life back together. It is a shame that it took over 25 years to get a correct diagnosis and treatment (it was usually diagnosed as depression, anxiety or some combination of the two) but I am doing better than I have in years.

As my avatar says (if I still have it!!) "Not all better, but getting better!"

Tyler
Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Wow! A real honest to goodness charter member! Cool! Yes, as you noted, it was due to some hard work and diligence from Morning Glory and a few others that we have this special corner of the interwebs. I am grateful.

Congratulations on being well, Tyler. It’s hard work, but nothing beats the payoff.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Tyler!

I'm glad that you finally got the correct diagnosis and are doing well.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

glad to hear you're doing well Tyler. there is the odd flame war *between* secular methods but generally the forum is alive & kicking
Old 03-29-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Wow! A real honest to goodness charter member! Cool! Yes, as you noted, it was due to some hard work and diligence from Morning Glory and a few others that we have this special corner of the interwebs. I am grateful.

Congratulations on being well, Tyler. It’s hard work, but nothing beats the payoff.
I remember the day I found this place. I was sitting in the library. I was too high and had too much anxiety to go on the cold calls required by my job. I had a one year old son and was pretty much lost. I had been to some meetings but just couldn't deal with the anxiety of dealing with people in person. You were allowed to log onto the public computers for a hour at a time, so I was just sitting there browsing the internet. For some reason I Googled (or *****'d, whatever the search engine of the time was) substance abuse and this site popped up.

I guess it was pretty new at the time and pretty much all of the talk was 12-step related, but I didn't care. I had found a place full of people just like me. Some people were in worse shape, some in better, but everyone was coming from a place of wanting to help in their own way. I had never used a message board (as is evidenced by the fact I used my real name!!) but it seemed like a way I could get some of the help I might of gotten at meetings without having to deal with the anxiety attacks.

This place helped me through a lot of dark and difficult times over the years. I have struggled with maintaining sobriety for any length of time, and to be honest, continue to, but I have never felt judged by anyone, which on a public message board is really pretty incredible. thanks

After years of seeing therapists I have finally found someone I have "clicked" with and have been seeing her weekly for about the past 4 months. I'm not sure if I wasn't seeing the right people or just wasn't in the right place for it to work, but I have seen major progress in the last few months. I am very much of a work in progress, but I at least feel that I am MAKING PROGRESS, and for many years I didn't.

I just wanted to say THANKS to all of the old timers still around who have offered help and encouragement over the years and say to the newbies that you have found a special place. It is never too late to come home and you won't be judged here. I plan on sticking around. I need the strength and support that is always offered here and perhaps something I share will resonate with someone and in turn help them.

THANKS TO YOU ALL!!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Tyler! I’m glad you’re making progress. Secular Connections is indeed a special corner of the inter web.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you, Tyler. It's wonderful you're getting the counseling & meds you need to feel better.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Tyler.

Happy to hear you're moving forward.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

What a great feeling, knowing you are where you need to be in this moment, and that you are moving forward. I get a sense that you are also moving upward, and this is giving you a wider vantage from which you are seeing yourself and your progress, where you were and where you are headed. Such an accomplishment! And your choices are as wide as the horizon you can now see so clearly. Onward!
Old 03-30-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
For some reason I Googled (or *****'d, whatever the search engine of the time was) substance abuse and this site popped up.
Interesting that it blanked out *****o!! The web search engine that begins with a Y and ends with a hoo. Is Google a site sponsor or something??
Old 03-30-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've had some ongoing spammers selling fake IDs, drugs and stuff.
I blanked it out so they couldn't keep putting their contact info in posts.
I didn't think it would hurt since we remove all email addresses from posts.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice to see you.

My father was bi-polar and good treatment saved his life.

So glad you found it!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Bipolar disorder is a horrific illness, particularly in it's Bipolar 1 form.

It's also very treatable if people comply with their medication. It's the mental illness where the organic disease is the best understood, it's pretty much like a broken mood thermostat.

It's actually a great diagnosis, if its treated properly. A lot of other stuff gets MUCH easier when you're not dealing with BPD.

Glad you came back Tyler, you are awesome.