Robots

Old 03-29-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I find this creepy AF. Privacy is a thing of the past, my children will never know what it's like to have the kind of privacy I had growing up, before the internet.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-you-privacy
Old 03-29-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
I find this creepy AF. Privacy is a thing of the past, my children will never know what it's like to have the kind of privacy I had growing up, before the internet.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-you-privacy
I heard some young journalists talking about this matter.
They are aware their data is not private and seemingly have made their peace with it.
I'm in my mid-40s and don't like the fact that my phone can tell me where I have been.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
I heard some young journalists talking about this matter.
They are aware their data is not private and seemingly have made their peace with it.
I'm in my mid-40s and don't like the fact that my phone can tell me where I have been.
I'm pretty resigned to it, it's never been a secret that all these companies store users' [meta-]data & it's a choice we make by using their services, albeit maybe an unwitting one in many cases. I've worked in the Internet business for 20+ years though, so maybe I'm just more aware. I do limit what I share & turn off location services & the like though. In any case, my data really isn't that interesting

There's an old adage: "if it's not obvious what's being sold, what's being sold is YOU" - ie your data, your page views, your ad clicks, etc. Likewise: "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". How do people think these services can be run for "free" otherwise?

It'll be interesting to see whether people will be willing to pay even a very modest sum for secure services after the current furore dies down. I'd be willing to bet that the vast, vast majority still won't & will be affronted by the very idea of paying.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

A few years ago I got on a Si-Fi kick and read 1984, rewatched old movies like The Terminator and The Matrix. Then it all started getting way too real. What seemed like fun in the 80's and 90's all of a sudden seemed like it was getting way to close to reality. I do still like Black Mirror, though it is pretty scary how close to reality it strikes. If you really want to be freaked out check out the episode Nosedive from last season. It is basically policy that China has implemented to rank people based on social ranking. Scary.

I think I'll stick to Game of Thrones. I'm pretty sure dragons aren't real!!
Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I wonder about the young people growing up with all this social media and lack of privacy, all the stupid crap they do growing up and post about will be out there forever.....

I haven't resigned myself. I am doing what I can to limit how much these creepy corporations can spy on me. I don't use Google anymore for anything, I was already done with FB, and I already had almost no apps on my phone because of a show I watched about how these apps can access all your personal info off your phone. More than anything, I think it's a smart phone problem, they are personal tracking devices. I'm thinking of getting a different phone all together. It's hard though, because it's already happened, we've already allowed it to.

Have you seen this about facial recognition in China? It's 1984's dream of a boot stamping on human's face for all time.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is a good video about the subject.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
This is a good video about the subject.

very interesting, thanks. FB really does seem to be on a mission to become, literally, the opiate of the masses.

I've sent you some dopamine by clicking like on both your posts
Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
A few years ago I got on a Si-Fi kick and read 1984, rewatched old movies like The Terminator and The Matrix. Then it all started getting way too real. What seemed like fun in the 80's and 90's all of a sudden seemed like it was getting way to close to reality. I do still like Black Mirror, though it is pretty scary how close to reality it strikes. If you really want to be freaked out check out the episode Nosedive from last season. It is basically policy that China has implemented to rank people based on social ranking. Scary.

I think I'll stick to Game of Thrones. I'm pretty sure dragons aren't real!!
Did you see the Black Mirror from years back where the British Prime Minister, er, "has relations" with a pig?
And then there were revelations that a prime minister actually had relations with a pig while in college.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Haha! Thanks for the dopamine hit Andyh! Ahhhh that felt good! Sent you one back.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This is worth the watch. It's about AI.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It says:
This video contains content from SME who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
I am in the US and that sounds like Big Brother at work.
I will have to check it out via proxy.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I found a channel which is not blocked in the US (yet)

Thank you for the share BillieJean, I downloaded it and will watch it later with my friend