Blogs


Notices

I can't believe you said that!!!!!

Old 02-06-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Welsh member.
Thread Starter
 
Trohyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 328
I can't believe you said that!!!!!

I must say I'm missing the hot debates in Secular connections. Has anyone got anything controversial to argue over?

Trohyn is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trohyn For This Useful Post:
andyh (02-06-2018), celandra1 (02-06-2018), Fusion (02-06-2018), Mireille (02-08-2018), tursiops999 (02-06-2018), Vivie (02-17-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,631
LOL at Monty Python’s Argument Clinic link!

On that note.......I’m not allowed to argue, unless you pay!
Fusion is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fusion For This Useful Post:
AlericB (02-07-2018), andyh (02-06-2018), Trohyn (02-06-2018), tursiops999 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,631
On a serious note - I believe that the statement that ‘a person has the power to stop drinking’ is incontrovertible, here in Secular Connections.
Fusion is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fusion For This Useful Post:
AlericB (02-07-2018), andyh (02-07-2018), celandra1 (02-06-2018), Mireille (02-08-2018), Trohyn (02-07-2018), tursiops999 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member
 
tursiops999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,501
Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
On a serious note - I believe that the statement that ‘a person has the power to stop drinking’ is incontrovertible, here in Secular Connections.
No it isn't.

tursiops999 is online now  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tursiops999 For This Useful Post:
AlericB (02-07-2018), Fusion (02-07-2018), Mireille (02-08-2018), tomsteve (02-08-2018), topspin (02-09-2018), Trohyn (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau
 
andyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,570
the cat in the box is alive/dead/both/neither - discuss.

andyh is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andyh For This Useful Post:
AlericB (02-07-2018), Carlotta (02-14-2018), Fusion (02-07-2018), Trohyn (02-07-2018), tursiops999 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Welsh member.
Thread Starter
 
Trohyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
On a serious note - I believe that the statement that ‘a person has the power to stop drinking’ is incontrovertible, here in Secular Connections.
I totally agree with you, Tatsy.




We'll, that didn't work.
Trohyn is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trohyn For This Useful Post:
celandra1 (02-08-2018), Fusion (02-07-2018), TheToddman (02-08-2018), tursiops999 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Welsh member.
Thread Starter
 
Trohyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
the cat in the box is alive/dead/both/neither - discuss.

It's alive. I can see it.

In Schroedinger's case however, until the box is opened, both. And equally so.
Trohyn is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trohyn For This Useful Post:
AlericB (02-07-2018), andyh (02-07-2018), Fusion (02-07-2018), tursiops999 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
the cat in the box is alive/dead/both/neither - discuss.

The late great Terry Pratchett mentions another possible state:

In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
AlericB is offline  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AlericB For This Useful Post:
andyh (02-07-2018), Culture (02-10-2018), Dee74 (02-07-2018), Mireille (02-08-2018), topspin (02-09-2018), Trohyn (02-07-2018), tursiops999 (02-08-2018), Vivie (02-24-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
OK, here's a controversial question:

Is it true to say that reasonable people will all agree on any issue?

My view is that the more reasonable you are the more you will disagree with everyone else because we all come from a different starting point.
AlericB is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlericB For This Useful Post:
Mireille (02-08-2018), tursiops999 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,631
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
the cat in the box is alive/dead/both/neither - discuss.


Appears both alive and dead to me. That cat is a zombie, evidenced by the staring eyes.
Fusion is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fusion For This Useful Post:
Mireille (02-08-2018), tursiops999 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
Sorry Trohyn, my choice of question seems to have stopped your thread in its tracks. Maybe it wasn't as controversial as I thought! I'll retract my question then to make way for another one
AlericB is offline  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Welsh member.
Thread Starter
 
Trohyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 328
No Aleric, it's my fault. I kinda thew the grenade into the forum then ran away. I had things to do.
Your question is sneaky. I would say that most people consider themselves "reasonable", therefore if I disagree with your statement;
Is it true to say that reasonable people will all agree on any issue?, You will counter that I'm being unreasonable.
Trohyn is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
If it appeared to be sneaky it's probably because of the way I phrased it! Reading it back it does sound like a kind of paradox but what I mean to say was when we look at something we're all generally faced with the same facts but usually come to very different conclusions. So why is that? If we based our conclusions on reason alone then we should all come to the same view but clearly we hardly ever do.

I think the question is controversial because it does suggest that there is limit to what reason or rationality can tell us about something. For example with addiction, can we ever find our way out using pure reason alone or do we at some point just have to accept that we really don't know what the best thing to do is but we nevertheless have to decide on a recovery method to adopt and we do this largely on an intuitive basis, on what feels most right for us?
AlericB is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau
 
andyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
OK, here's a controversial question:

Is it true to say that reasonable people will all agree on any issue?

My view is that the more reasonable you are the more you will disagree with everyone else because we all come from a different starting point.
reasonable as in being of moderate opinions & not inclined towards conflict? or reasonable as in inclined towards reason/rationality?

& is the nature of the issue able to be determined objectively - is the sky blue? is that cat bloody furious? or is it subjective - is <your choice of political ideology> the best way to run a country? is <your choice of recovery method> the best method of sobriety?
andyh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to andyh For This Useful Post:
Mireille (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
I mean reasonable in your second sense of being rational, and not necessarily moderate.

I also think that the effectiveness of a recovery method can't be determined objectively. I was just wondering if this was true or whether in fact it can be measured in some way.
AlericB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to AlericB For This Useful Post:
Mireille (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: terra (mostly)firma
Posts: 4,700
Recovery is measured quite objectively, either one has quit or one hasn't.

Any journey or path along the way to the goal , recovery as a method, is pure AV experienced subjectively.
dwtbd is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dwtbd For This Useful Post:
TheToddman (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
I agree that you can objectively measure whether an individual is recovered or not: they are either drinking or they're not.

I was wondering though whether you can objectively compare and contrast different recovery models or is it just a matter of personal preference.
AlericB is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: terra (mostly)firma
Posts: 4,700
Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
I agree that you can objectively measure whether an individual is recovered or not: they are either drinking or they're not.

I was wondering though whether you can objectively compare and contrast different recovery models or is it just a matter of personal preference.
Not on this forum as far identifying and contrasting.

What do you mean by effectiveness?

That query is ,btw, rhetorical, effectiveness is AV as it implies an alternative to quitting, the possiblity of more drinks.
dwtbd is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member
 
AlericB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Not on this forum as far identifying and contrasting.
That's why my question was about whether it is possible in principle to compare the effectiveness of different recovery methods. It was not asking for any actual comparisons to be made,

By effectiveness I mean proven results and I agree , I don't think that makes much sense in this context.
AlericB is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
quat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: terra (mostly)firma
Posts: 4,700
The idea that one can not 'just' make a commitment to permanent , unconditional abstinence is AV.
Any method or system or whatever you want to call it that is based on the idea that that requires anything other than making that decision is a method to avoid making the commitment or at best paying lip service to the idea of a commitment, but at the same time negating it is a commitment by setting conditions on adherence.
dwtbd is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.