SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   aa (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/419943-aa.html)

celandra1 12-07-2017 06:48 AM

aa

I lost faith in any higher power back
in the 80's with the "moral" majority and all the tv evangelists, and the religious wars that never end.

Fusion 12-07-2017 07:40 AM

Hi Celandra, here in Secular Connections and evidenced around other forums in SR, there are many folks who seem able to maintain sobriety, without relying upon a higher power to do it for them. Everyone is different, horses for courses.

How are you doing?

celandra1 12-07-2017 08:38 AM

Ok, I was in a crappy mood this morning. In hind site, guess that was more a political statement than sobriety related. I'll work on avoiding that here.

Fusion 12-07-2017 08:43 AM

Celandra, in sobriety, I always find I maintain more equanimity, by speaking my true self mind (as opposed to my monkey brain mind) and not self-censoring.

How is you mood now? I hope you’re feeling a little better.

Dee74 12-07-2017 04:27 PM

Ok, I was in a crappy mood this morning. In hind site, guess that was more a political statement than sobriety related. I'll work on avoiding that here.
I know you're new celandra - this is the Secular Connections forum.

It's for discussing secular methods of recovery.
To keep things on track, 12 step programmes are off topic in this forum.

If you want to vent about AA we'll have to move the thread :)

Dee
SR

shockozulu 12-07-2017 06:51 PM

You cannot belittle any form of recovery in the Secular Forums. Not 12 steps, not Lifering. No program bashing. It will result automatically in an official warning.

This forum is for Secular forms of Recovery. They range from the psychologically based SMART Recovery, Rational Recovery (AVRT), LifeRin/SOS and several smaller recovery forms which do not incorporate religious or G-d talk.

Myself, I started in AA and migrated to SMART. I’m now a trained Faciliator. While in AA my higher power was the Big Bang. Now that I work Secular Recovery my religious faith is Greek Orthodox Christianity but it simply is not a factor in my choice of recovery methods.

SMART being secular holds no belief on the spiritual side of a person’s life. We don’t talk about it in meetings because we work on Rational and Emotive Beehavioral Therapy tools.

If you wish to discuss your experiences in 12 step programs from a secular viewpoint just to the next forum: Secular 12 Steps.

Dropsie 12-17-2017 01:22 AM

Celandra,

Welcome.

So glad you are here.

There are really not as many rules as it seems, basically boils down to play nice and no medical advice.

Both can be hard at moments, but worth it for the great support.

Dee is the man. Terrific. Amazing. etc.

How are you?