AVRT for smoking

Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AVRT for smoking

Hello, I have a silly little smoking habit of 1-2 cigarettes a day. I'm tired of it and ready to quit. I'm sure there are others who have used AVRT for smoking here. I guess the answer is just to say I don't smoke, I'm never going to smoke and I'm not changing my mind. Anyone else who's done this want to chime in on your experience?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking I'd never heard of AVRT but I applied the same principle of vowing never to smoke again. This isn't so surprising because AVRT formulises the lore of how people have always self-recovered from drugs.

My case was different from yours in that I was a chain-smoker - I remember smoking once with my head up a chimney in a house where smoking wasnt allowed - which actually helped by giving me a big motivation to stop.

If you want to quit I dont see why the approach you outlined wouldn't work.

I used nicotine replacement therapy which I now wouldn't advise because all that is is a safer form of smoking and my quitting smoking involved giving that up as well. It really was just means of prevarication suggested by my AV.

Some years later I still have occasional AV about smoking. It's most intense in dreams where I've started smoking again and I wake up thinking 'oh no!' and then feeling tangible relief when I realise it was but a dream.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Aleric! It seems so dumb, just a couple cigarettes a day, but I hide it from my friends and my kids, so it builds up as a dishonesty in my mind. Something about it keeps pulling me back, almost like i need one bad thing to do. Finished a pack yesterday after work, so I just need to avoid buying any more. But that's it, I don't smoke any more and I'm not changing my mind!
Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you applewakesup! I used a version of AVRT to quit smoking and drugs but I didn't know it at the time. I used AVRT to quit drinking, are you planning on using it just for smoking or have you quit drinking too?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, yes, I've quit drinking too. 32 days today!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Aplle.

I know a person here, on SR, who quit smoking using AVRT. It was 4 years ago.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all, just a little update from me. I haven't had a cigarette since I originally posted. It was easier than I thought, because 1 cigarette a day is mostly emotional, not really physical. I think I just wanted one bad thing to do. So stupid, but I'm really not missing it. Especially because I don't even know anyone who smokes cigarettes.