SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   AVRT for smoking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/412282-avrt-smoking.html)

applewakesup 07-05-2017 03:28 PM

AVRT for smoking

Hello, I have a silly little smoking habit of 1-2 cigarettes a day. I'm tired of it and ready to quit. I'm sure there are others who have used AVRT for smoking here. I guess the answer is just to say I don't smoke, I'm never going to smoke and I'm not changing my mind. Anyone else who's done this want to chime in on your experience?

AlericB 07-05-2017 05:12 PM

When I quit smoking I'd never heard of AVRT but I applied the same principle of vowing never to smoke again. This isn't so surprising because AVRT formulises the lore of how people have always self-recovered from drugs.

My case was different from yours in that I was a chain-smoker - I remember smoking once with my head up a chimney in a house where smoking wasnt allowed - which actually helped by giving me a big motivation to stop.

If you want to quit I dont see why the approach you outlined wouldn't work.

I used nicotine replacement therapy which I now wouldn't advise because all that is is a safer form of smoking and my quitting smoking involved giving that up as well. It really was just means of prevarication suggested by my AV.

Some years later I still have occasional AV about smoking. It's most intense in dreams where I've started smoking again and I wake up thinking 'oh no!' and then feeling tangible relief when I realise it was but a dream.

applewakesup 07-06-2017 04:19 AM

Thanks, Aleric! It seems so dumb, just a couple cigarettes a day, but I hide it from my friends and my kids, so it builds up as a dishonesty in my mind. Something about it keeps pulling me back, almost like i need one bad thing to do. Finished a pack yesterday after work, so I just need to avoid buying any more. But that's it, I don't smoke any more and I'm not changing my mind!

Wholesome 07-06-2017 04:34 AM

Good for you applewakesup! I used a version of AVRT to quit smoking and drugs but I didn't know it at the time. I used AVRT to quit drinking, are you planning on using it just for smoking or have you quit drinking too?

applewakesup 07-06-2017 09:44 AM

Oh, yes, I've quit drinking too. 32 days today!

MidnightBlue 07-08-2017 12:46 PM

Hi, Aplle.

I know a person here, on SR, who quit smoking using AVRT. It was 4 years ago.
Good luck to you.

applewakesup 07-13-2017 09:37 AM

Hi all, just a little update from me. I haven't had a cigarette since I originally posted. It was easier than I thought, because 1 cigarette a day is mostly emotional, not really physical. I think I just wanted one bad thing to do. So stupid, but I'm really not missing it. Especially because I don't even know anyone who smokes cigarettes.