AVRT/Rational Recovery

Old 04-15-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AVRT/Rational Recovery

Hi. New to this site and my second day sober. Had 4 years clean in NA, great people, and it saved my life but I just never really felt connected to the program itself. I am trying to get clean again after a year long relapse. Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding AVRT? I have been looking into alternative treatment programs. Anyone had success using this? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Natalie. Yep lots of people are having success with it.

Here's the link for the crash course to get you started.

Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT

Read around on the threads, there is lots of good information. Freshstart57's sticky is a good place to start. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html

Welcome!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natalie724 View Post
Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding AVRT? I have been looking into alternative treatment programs. Anyone had success using this? Thanks!
Hi Natalie,
Bacially AVRT is a reliance on self
Lots of advice and experience has been posted on this forum already. It gets a bit repetitive after a while, so I would suggest looking on other threads on this forum that are AVRT orientated, and you will find everything you need.
But these threads are only an addition to the techniques you will find in Jack Trimpeys book "The New Cure for Substance Addiction. Which is the only manual you will need for AVRT
You do not need a support system for this approach, you only need the facts. Which are here in plenty.
Read through the AVRT stuff here..it's a goldmine!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natalie724 View Post
Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding AVRT? I have been looking into alternative treatment programs. Anyone had success using this?
AVRT is education on planned abstinence, and is based on the successful experience of those who recovered on their own, without any addiction treatment. AVRT is therefore a phenomenological method, based on the experience of the self-recovered population.

I posted this in another thread:

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Go to the RR web site (rational.org), take the excellent free AVRT crash course therein, and get yourself a copy of the book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey.

While you wait for the book to arrive, and after taking the free crash course, you can read through some of the various threads previously mentioned here. This would give you an excellent foundation in AVRT.
  1. RR
  2. Tatsy's Thread -
  3. Flame11's Thread -
  4. Behappy's Thread -
  5. Freshstart57's Thread -
  6. Tursiops999's Thread -

There are also various other threads tagged as relating to AVRT on the forums if you are interested in reading even more threads.
I suggest that you get yourself a copy of the RR: TNC book, and that you start reading it, along with the various threads discussing AVRT.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Natalie and welcome to this fantastic corner of the Internet, dealing with how to recover from addiction. I'm glad you're here.

I cannot add anything more to the informative posts above, save for to urge you to follow Zenchaser's and Algorithm's guidance above, regarding further reading. Plus, to add my absolute endorsement of RR/AVRT as an effective technique to stop an addiction in its tracks.