SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   AVRT Crash Course (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/407170-avrt-crash-course.html)

Kaily 04-01-2017 01:52 AM

AVRT Crash Course

Having gone 10 days sober I wanted to do the crash course again but my links aren't working for some reason.
Has the website been taken down?

GaryB1 04-01-2017 02:40 AM

Hello Kaily, yes the server apparently cannot be found when I tried it a minute ago.
However, while you are waiting for that to sort itself out, there are some very good threads explaining AVRT in depth on here. Algorithm knows AVRT inside out and all of his posts are informative.
If you read any of the threads posted by newcomers to AVRT, members here have given a wealth of information to them.
Tatsys thread when she was starting out here, Flame11 and BeHappy have tons of information from people who explain the ins and outs of AVRT
If you search the AVRT threads on here, I think you will find a lot more information than is on the basic crash course on the RR website.

Fusion 04-01-2017 02:41 AM

Hi Kaily, congratulations on 10 days! When I was learning about AVRT last year, the website was down temporarily. I recall the AV saying "this must be a load of rubbish, they can't even keep the website running, it'll never work" etc. It was pure Beast, opportunistic.

The real beauty of AVRT for me, is that my sobriety isn't dependant upon outside agencies, circumstances or contingencies. It's just me and the Beast (mis-directed drive for alcohol) and my Beast is now caged, although not quite silenced; but that isn't a problem - because if the AV pops up, I now instantly recognise and immediately dismiss IT.

For now, if you haven't already, I think Flame11s AVRT thread has some great explanatory posts from members, plus Behappy1s thread and the original AVRT explained 6 part thread started by TU. Plus, anything posted by Algorithm, who has immense knowledge and is particularly adept at using language that thoroughly conveys the nuances of AVRT.

GaryB1 04-01-2017 02:47 AM

The long running AVRT discussion thread has a lot of info too, I was going to post a link, but it won't let me as I need to have had 15 posts to do that.

Terminally Unique seems to know his stuff

flame11 04-01-2017 02:58 AM

I found reading through the AVRT discussion threads enormously helpful to my understanding of AVRT, would definitely recommend doing so.

silverskies 04-01-2017 08:56 AM

Congrats on day 10! I'm on day 21 for the first time since being pregnant YEARS ago thanks to AVRT. I'm going to do the same as you and reread the AVRT threads as a refresher now. Good luck.

Kaily 04-01-2017 09:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
Yes I have been reading all the threads and have also purchased the The Rational Recovery book but as yet have been unable to settle enough to read and absorb it.
Hopefully the website will be up and running again soon.

Well done Silverskies!

Fusion 04-01-2017 09:39 AM

I'm so glad you're here Kaily, with 10 days under your belt - that's awesome! I hadn't realised you'd been reading the AVRT threads and purchased the book. When I started my thread, here on SR last year - questioning whether I needed to purchase the book - on reflection it's laughable considering how much I was spending on drink a day, more than the book.

If you haven't attended AA (I'm not really allowed to say that here but I'm not disparaging it and hopefully it's OK) then first 28 pages of the book don't require reading because, essentially it's 'deprograming'. But if you start reading from page 29 onwards, you'll find the book so beneficial.

I'm so thrilled you've stopped drinking Kaily. Did you attend the detox you were waiting for, or stop yourself? Sorry for the question if it's intrusive.

Fusion 04-01-2017 09:49 AM

Silverskies, congratulations on your day 21! Learning and applying AVRT last year, almost 7 months ago, most probably saved my life. And yes, this is the longest I've been sober, apart from being pregnant too! Please read around the AVRT threads that myself and Gary mentioned above, there's so much information, explanation and insight.

Kaily 04-01-2017 11:51 AM

Thanks Tatsy and no not intrusive at all.
I have been to AA but never took to it so I guess I can go to page 29!
I never did get my detox although I was truly convinced that was the only way forward, so against all medical advice I just stopped.
I didn't get withdrawals in the form of shaking, sickness etc but I am ridiculously tired, ridiculously hungry, have brain fog and the beast is calling frequently, more so tonight than in the last 10 days.

dsmaxis10 04-01-2017 12:08 PM

I use anything that will help me stay sober I have schizophrenia and sometimes voices they tell me to drink my av is alive but has lost the battle

Fusion 04-01-2017 12:11 PM

Hi Kaily, of course, for the Beast, it's early days and it's missing its usual fix! It's so awesome that you stopped drinking on your own! I'll try to stop the exclamation marks now, but truly, I was were you were. Petrified to stop. the Internet and this site said I'd suffer dire consequences, but I persevered and after cutting down slightly-ish I stopped too. The world didn't fall on my head and I was safe.

Kaily, the Beast would love you to pick up an alcoholic drink and place it in your mouth and you to drink it now. And if you did as the Beast desires, you'd be right back where you've been for so long, as I was, drinking to ameliorate the withdrawals- all day, every day. That's no way to exist. At 10days you're beyond the physical withdrawals and therefore, can be be free forever. I'd drank more than a lifetimes alcohol and so when I put it firmly in the past, by making my Big Plan, it was set in stone.

If only, at nearly 7 months abstinent, I could transmit how I feel mentally and physically, you'd instantly dismiss that AV for what it is - a grotesque, snivelling, impotent, powerless thought or feeling, floating through your mind. YOU can dismiss IT Kaily, YOU have the power!

AlaskaGirl 04-01-2017 03:50 PM

Hi Kaily! Congratulations on ten days! That's huge! I agree with everything Tatsy said. Hers was actually the thread that I stuck with the most when I quit, following her journey was really inspiring. I'm three months in now, and I feel great. It gets easier all the time. You never have to go through withdrawal again. Hugs :)

tursiops999 04-01-2017 03:58 PM

Kaily and silverskies, so glad you're here. Read and post and stick around ... and we know you can do this!

Fusion 04-02-2017 05:09 AM

Hi Kaily, I've just noticed the AVRT website is back online.

Algorithm 04-02-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kaily (Post 6391705)
I never did get my detox although I was truly convinced that was the only way forward, so against all medical advice I just stopped.

I remember some of your posts about not being able to get into medical detox and rehab, Kaily. I would argue that you dodged a bullet, and that you are now on better footing. If you want something done right, sometimes it is best to do it yourself.

Right now, having gone beyond ten days without a drop, your are past any danger from physical withdrawal. If you don't make the mistake of starting back up again, then you are basically home free, and you never have to go through this again.

The free crash course at the RR site was updated in 2014, but the original is in the RR: The New Cure book, as part of Chapter 3. Read through the book, as well as the discussion threads, to get a good, solid foundation on AVRT, and to tighten up the screws on your Beast.

Like Tatsy said, you can absolutely beat this thing forever, and AVRT can make it easier. All self doubt in your ability to do so is just your Addictive Voice -- the Beast barking.

Kaily 04-02-2017 11:04 PM

Thanks Algorithm.
I have toyed with the idea of not posting this but I want it out there to look back on and to get people's thoughts- I lapsed on Saturday evening. I had had a good day and was feeling positive, did a long dog walk, went to lunch at a friends house and just casually said that I had given up drinking when I was offered a glass of wine so we enjoyed a pot of tea instead.
When I got home I was tired and restless, beast and AV were nagging away at me much more than usual and I didn't seem to have the energy to say NO. Not sure I even wanted to. Anyway two hours later I bought one bottle of wine, drank it in half an hour, didn't enjoy it and felt rough all day yesterday.
I feel I have learnt from this. I will be stronger next time my beast takes advantage of me when I am overtired.

GaryB1 04-02-2017 11:40 PM

Kaily, I'm not very good at explaining what I mean in writing, but as there doesn't seem to be anyone around at the moment I'll give it a shot.
AVRT is about separating from and recognizing the AV. When you say you didn't have the energy to say NO, who would you have been saying no to if you had had the energy? You do not engage with the AV at all, even to answer NO to its wants
You recognize it as the AV and dismiss it because it is suggesting drink and "you" do not drink You can observe how it will try and manipulate your thoughts into drinking, but all the while knowing it is IT not you that is craving the alcohol. YOU do not drink under any conditions, whether you are tired, stressed, hungry, angry...you get the picture. IT will want drink under any and every condition including when you are happy and relaxed. IT just wants alcohol full stop.
The Beast cannot take advantage of you, you control your arms and legs. If the Beast had control of your motor functions, I could understand how it could have gone and bought alcohol and made you drink it, but as it is YOU have the advantage over IT.
IT must have been distraught when you refused the wine at your friends house, YOU should have been very pleased with yourself!
I'm sure you will get there Kaily

Kaily 04-03-2017 12:07 AM

Thanks GaryB.
I think I still have a lot to learn and your post is helping me do that.

GaryB1 04-03-2017 01:03 AM

It's sort of learning a new way and unlearning the old way we thought about addiction imo Kaily. Glad I've been of a little help.
I like to look upon my AV the way my team mates in the footy team at school looked on me. Every time we had a strategy meeting at half time, I would come up with some brilliant (I thought, really I was a terrible strategist) ideas.
They would break from their discussion on tactics, look at me as if I had landed from another planet and without saying a word get back to the tactic talk!
I see my AV like that now, no matter what the problem/celebration it only has one strategy in its "mind" ..drink
I hear this suggestion and look at my AV as if it is from another planet - as I don't drink and never will, and then just get on with what I was doing.