Hello AVRT people

Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello AVRT people

I joined this site for this forum, as I have read the AVRT information available here from start to finish. It's a shame Terminally Unique disappeared, well, moved on.
But just wanted to say hello to all who share the same philosophy as me. Although it has been around quite a while, still not a common thing to find people practicing this.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, GaryB1! Welcome, and glad you found us. It is difficult to say how many practice AVRT, as it is 'the lore of the self recovered' and we apparently outnumber the formal program types two to one. I guess since we don't have meetings or proselytize, and just sort of get on with the challenges and joys of our lives, we tend to be hard to spot.
Congratulations to you on your choice of sobriety and your Big Plan. Hope you stick around. Onward!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, GaryB1 -- good to have you here!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Gary,

I'm really glad to hear that you've read through some of the other AVRT threads already. That will save me some of the usual boiler plate advice, although I still recommend the book if you haven't read it.

The power of AVRT lies in its simple, yet austere logic, which exposes the Addictive Voice, regardless of the word play used to conceal it from its host and others. It is kind of like wearing 3D glasses at the movie theater -- suddenly you can just see what you previously could not.

It's true that it takes a little bit of time for the AV to be thoroughly exposed in our own thinking, and that some people are better at exposing the AV in others, but anyone can do it.

To the extent that the original AVRT threads were revolutionary, it was in plainly parsing things through the lens of AVRT, and in displaying the view through the lens, without too much other stuff added on.

The framework is there, though, and anyone can do this, not only in their own thinking, but also as the back-and-forth parlor game that is AVRT discussion, which Beasts instinctively run and hide from.

I look forward to your input.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Gary

D
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for welcome guys.
Good point freshstart57. Just because I haven't personally come across anyone using AVRT I am making assumptions. I have come across plenty of poeple who have just had enough and given up drinking though. When I ask how, the techniques they use are similar to AVRT. But as Trimpey based AVRT on what he had learnt from people who it it themselves I suppose that's not surprising.
Algorithm, I have had the book for a couple of years. I tried everything before AVRT (except stopping drinking). I listened to people who told me I must have deep seated "issues" and even though I felt I didn't I was pressured into trying therapy and other things to fix them. Didn't make any difference to my wanting to drink. I couldn't understand either, if I was drinking because I had all of these problems, why I wanted to drink when I felt happy without a care in the world too.
I learnt though AVRT the desire to drink was down to a biological urge (the Beast). A warped survival drive that existed only to secure a supply of alcohol for the body.
Once created this drive was with me for life. You cannot reason with a biological urge. You cannot talk it out of its whole purpose for being in existance.
You cannot communicate with it at all. But it can communicate it's need to you through the AV, whose sole purpose is to procure alcohol to meet the needs of this drive. This is my basic understanding of AVRT
What is troubling me at the moment is my wife has a terminal illness and the Beast does not miss a chance. There is a ***** in my resolve and the AV is working on it relentlessly, It tells me, when my wife passes, I will crumble. I repeat my Big Plan to myself, but the Beast having access to all my thoughts sends the AV homing in on this.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hi Gary, and welcome to SR.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I hope you find peace and rest.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's just a bit of trepidation of entering into the unknown. I know this is the AV, I dismiss it as soon as these thoughts start. But the Beast knows theres a little niggle there (even though I cannot imagine ever going back to drinking). It's just the persistance of IT on this. Although the Beast is always suspended in the now I am discovering, it has no qualms in using my knowledge of the future against me.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gary, I'm sorry about your wife's illness.

I think the beast using that kind of knowledge is a common ploy. My beast suggests that my husband might die in an accident or from illness, and then I would have reason to drink (and the freedom to drink -- no one to see me drinking). It really highlights how amoral it is, and how disinterested in my well being.

Armed with your understanding, you're much more powerful than the beast (upsetting or annoying as its voice may be).
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've accepted as much as I am able my wifes illness tursiops999, but thats largely down to her philisophical attitude of it, doesn't take away the grief of it all though.
It is immoral. It plays on your worst weaknesses, as in, how will you live without her without some "help" the help it suggests is obviously alcohol.
Only to be expected, as the AV serves it's master the Beast and it's aim the procurement of alcohol.
I have to keep in mind, I am not as weak as the AV would have me believe I have gone through these last few months, the hardest of my life so far, without a drink. I am not my Beast, that immoral, any excuse for a drink, how will I cope without a drink, thinking, is no longer a part of me, its all Beast.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome GaryB1....this is a good practice or better "a-way" Ez PZ really...but best to always be on your toes so to speck...The AV is very tricky at times, but you have the power...
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AVRT is easy Stewart888. It's life that is not easy somtimes.
I like to think I am adept at dismissing the AV as soon as I recoginze it (with avrt, it becomes transparent in it's intentions) but I am guilty now and again, of thinking, I wish you would just F-off
Writing it out has helped fortify my dismissal of It as the miserable, crumb grabbing, opportunist that It is.