why meditation is helping

Old 03-01-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waking down

why meditation is helping

I started meditating regularly during the massive waves of anxiety I was experiencing in early sobriety. I had always suffered from anxiety, but I kept it largely at bay with drink.

It has occurred to me that mindfulness meditation has helped me change my relationship with my thoughts. Not only has it helped to reduce self-loathing and increase self-acceptance and acceptance of reality, but my anxiety is significantly diminished and my mind so much more tranquil.

For example, I was talking to a girl yesterday who is terrified by her nightmares. It occurred to me that I still have nightmares sometimes, but they no longer seem terrifying. The content is just as bizarre and potentially scary, but I tend to wake up and think, that was wild, rather than feel fear.

Life, in general, seems less frightening. I'm less worried about the future (despite what's happening in the political arena), less concerned about financial security (though I'm quitting my job), and less freaked out about growing older and my body failing.

ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) kind of grew out of CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) with a primary difference being that ACT seeks to change our relationship with our thoughts via mindfulness practices while CBT is more about challenging thoughts and changing them. I admit I've only practiced these things through reading and contemplation (not formal therapy), but I've long struggled with directly trying to change my thoughts. ACT and mindfulness is more about observing and accepting our thoughts, and in so doing the thoughts change themselves. It's about practice and discipline rather than attempting to exert the will directly on our minds. Instead of trying to force the changes, the changes happen naturally over time due to practices introduced to the world by Gautama Buddha and demonstrated to be effective by science.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Thanks for this. I also meditate and I find it has helped me create more 'distance' between my thoughts and actions, which helps me accept and see the true nature of the thought rather than impulsively acting on it.

I also like your take on changing thoughts. I usually describe it as you can't change your thoughts (instantaneously), but you can nurture new ones. For me, meditation is a key part of that process.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your thoughts, zero. I have been feeling increased anxity lately. Backstory: I was very anxious when I drank. Largely went away when I stopped.
I think the current worry stems from my concern with my aged mother, who is slowly slipping away. We would like her to be able to stay in her home as long as possible, but I have been investigating assisted living and nursing homes because I just don't know how long she can live on her own.
I think meditation could help with this. I do practice yoga in a small way, and often employ calming breaths.
Again, thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
waking down

I think the vipassana practice of observing thoughts and then repeatedly returning attention to the breath is good practice for redirecting thoughts, in general. The Buddha taught that we suffer when we want things to be different. All things are impermanent. When we cling to ideas or things that will most certainly pass we suffer more. I know this was the case with my mother, and someday if I'm lucky I'll be old enough to slowly slip away. I will have to accept that reality, as well. What we are talking about is the Four Noble Truths, and I am convinced they are truths.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Anyone have access to free online meditations or youtube videos. I do better with those because of my ADHD
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mindfulness
Old 03-21-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Refuge Recovery has some on their website or I watch them on YouTube.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll go to Refuge Recovery. Any ones on youtube you recommend over others? I know there is a wide range from looking myself.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Or what about any phone apps??
Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have an ipad and android phone. So if you know of either I'm game to hear about them.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just learned about the meditations myself like last week. I have only listened to 2 of them so I can't really say which ones I like the best.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Opening my Brow Chakra not knowing what it was and 11 years later only recently finding out Opened Crown Chakra 02/12/2017 then I was Raptured into the 7th density and made all my Chakras one!!! I just do it just a gift I wouldn't settle for nothing less my Quest is over I know within me unlimited Power prana holy spirit= energy
Old 04-01-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

A good place to start is this introductory body scan practice from Jon Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gZgnCy5ew
Old 04-01-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually I'm gonna go top Refuge Recovery 10 meetings give it a chance!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
waking down

We don't have Refuge Recovery anywhere near my home, but I've read the book and would certainly go if I could. I hope you find it worthwhile.