Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

What do you tell yourself when you KNOW it's your beast talking.

What do you tell yourself when you KNOW it's your beast talking.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

That's interesting zen. I'm actually a mathematician with a face like a walnut and a mouth like a scar!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Wait...are you using the Shakespearean Insult Generator on yourself? Best use it on the Beast...
nosweatshakespeare.com has some good ones!
Old 11-18-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
Interestingly I suppose the first recorded use of the word "addiction" was by Shakespeare in Henry V. The Archbishop of Canterbury says of the king’s misspent youth that "his addiction was to courses vain" although the word was used more in the sense of "inclination" than it's modern meaning.

The English word "addiction" comes from the Latin word "addicere". "Ad" means "to" or "toward" and "dicere" means "to speak" and so "addicere" means “to give my voice over to.” This seems to support the AVRT idea that if you're addicted you have no voice, you have given your voice over to IT and you need to reclaim it.
I am fascinated with linguistics so thank you for sharing this.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

wow, this method fits me exactly. Tried AA but it just wasnt working for me, for numerous reasons, but this method is something i can connect to. 31 hours sober
Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

31 hours is the way we all start, bezartan. It's terrific, is what it is. Glad you found us here at Secular Connections, you will find a lot of support. Keep posting, OK?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Welcome bezartan! We're glad you're here. AVRT has helped me with permanent sobriety and a much happier life.

How are you doing today?
Old 11-21-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

First, I need to thank zenchaser for leading me here

I'm a newbie to this. Just spent the last few hours reading about AVRT and for the first time something actually resonates with me! I tried AA. I only went once and I actually did enjoy it but I've really struggled to go back. Not sure exactly what it was but something about going just made me feel incredibly anxious.

I'm 13 days into my new life of sobriety and very excited and hopeful for what my future has in store for me. So glad to find people who have had luck without group therapy as that doesn't seem like it's going to be the fit for me....Was starting to feel a bit like most people on SR were in AA and was struggling with that a little. So today has been a good day.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Welcome Stevie1979! Good to have you here

If you have any questions about AVRT, fire away, there are some members on here who are AVRT guru's and who love to teach it. Glad it resonated with you too, it was a total game changer for me.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Glad you’re here, Stevie. Nice shootin’ there, zen,

My experience was much like yours, Stevie, I knew that I needed an approach that fit my way of thinking because trying to flip myself around was not going to succeed.

I had made the decision to quit and I treated it like breaking up with an abusive gf who lied to me, made me feel ashamed, depressed, anxious and worthless. Sure there had been good times, but I made that decision to end it because I was tired of living that way. And it was only going to get worse.

So I separated ‘me’ from thoughts of her, there never would be an ‘us’, no matter what might ever happen in the future. Done.

I took the same approach with alcohol and ended it. Separated ‘me’ from it, and any thoughts of ever drinking again. When I arrived here, I learned that what I had done was to use AVRT. I was identifying thoughts of drinking as being ‘not me’, and separating myself from them. I quit all at once, I guess, and permanently. I will never look back, and that’s why I often end my posts with the reminder to keep moving ahead. Say yes to opportunities to grow and learn.

YOU GOT THIS, Stevie. Believe this, in the most profound way, that you can quit, and stay quit for good. You have everything you need inside of you already. Believe in you. I do! Onward!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Two weeks down and today was a great day. Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow. I'm sure it won't be the easiest days but I'm going into it with a good support system so I know I am very lucky in that aspect. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to you all !