The boards are quiet lately

Old 12-16-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
That is breathtaking, Mesaman!!

I'm not retired yet, but the older I get, the less I try to please others by doing things that bore me just for the sake of decorum. It sure is a wonderful thing!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

Our tree has been up for two weeks, still taking water I suppose they're purty an'll but .. weird custom , no? I swear one of these years I'm going to put up a Festivus Pole with maybe a lit topper as a concession to holidayness gaiety and appeasement to my wife.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Beautiful photo MesaMan!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

soberlicious, I'm keeping your family in my thoughts.

macsmith777, I have so much admiration for your work with hospice. I have seen firsthand the wonders they did with my mother and my friend when he was dying from pancreatic cancer. I was 11 yet to this day it has made such an impression on me.

In the 1980's I had been so moved with Hospice I donated new houseware my neighbor hadn't even opened from his called off wedding. This was when AIDS was at its peak and so many men were disowned by their families so I gave it all to the local hospice for the men's new homes when they left the hospital.

Five years ago this last August my mother entered hospice when she chose end of life care when she discovered she had Huntington's Disease. Five days later she passed away in her sleep. Those last few days were some of our best conversations. My favorite discussion in those last days was about our recoveries.

I've been busy lately as I only have one family member, my surviving mother. She lives out of state and we've been talking about politics and news. With the economy tanking she no longer has money to even see her doctor and when we last talked on the phone she told me it is a pain to read the online news and stay tied to her computer when she watches her streaming news so I bought her a tablet. She told me how extremely happy it has made it. She hadn't expected it but my parents took care of me, so it's my turn to do the same for them. It made my holidays that I knew her so well that this gift made her so happy.

As for Christmas I celebrate on the Orthodox Christmas in early January. In addition I have duel citizenship so I'm starting the process to obtain my passport.

I also have been busy with my university courses. I'm doing adult coloring books and catching up on Netflix and Amazon until classes start next month.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
shockozulu, I love the adult coloring books...especially the ones with swear words all incorporated in pretty patterns. Those make me laugh.

macsmith, my mom saw the grief counselor through hospice and it has helped her so much. Thank you for your work in this area, and every other person like you. It is a relief to see my mom finding some peace. This has been killing her. My sister sounds better today she says she hasn't drank in a couple of days, but idk because she is never honest. Honestly, I don't even ask because I'm at the point of just trying to spend some time with her and enjoy some brief conversation in between the times she's not verbally aggressive and nasty. We still hold out hope that things could turn around. Hospice says people can be dismissed from care if they improve and can function again on some level. idk...

So, it's 81 degrees where I live. Beautiful day I can't wrap my head around the cold that many of you live in! But, snow sure is beautiful to look at. I'd like to see it in real life.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nice pic Mesa, we just moved to Oregon from Westminster, CO. I assume you are western slope?

I am feeling more solid by the day. Kids are in from CO and we are celebrating Christmas. Holidays have never been more of a drinking time for me than any other day as I had never needed any kind of excuse. That said, it is fun to be hanging out and feeling 100% in control and alert. Cooking good food and listening to the laughter. Not bad..