Possibly a very dumb AVRT question

Old 12-08-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Possibly a very dumb AVRT question

Hi all you lovely people. I have been reading much of the RR site, and have been through the slides. One thing I cannot get my head around is the BP. Is it truly the honest pledge to oneself to never drink again? I am not criticizing, it actually is about the most liberating things I have seen out there. I just want to be sure I am not missing something. Like a whole lot more to it that my alcohol stupified mind somehow skipped right over.

Mac
Old 12-08-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by macsmith777 View Post
One thing I cannot get my head around is the BP. Is it truly the honest pledge to oneself to never drink again?
Yes. From the Rational Recovery Dictionary:

Big Plan.
  1. A transcending personal commitment to unconditional, permanent abstinence.
  2. The pivotal act of self-recovery from addiction to alcohol and other drugs.

Originally Posted by macsmith777 View Post
I just want to be sure I am not missing something.
The chief drawback of AVRT is that it sounds too easy, too simple, too good to be true, and that there must be some really, really deep stuff somewhere that you need to figure out first in order to succeed (ie, quit drinking). That, of course, is the Addictive Voice -- any thinking or feeling that supports, or even suggests, your possible future use of alcohol or drugs.

You should order yourself a copy of the book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey on Amazon or the RR web site. It is far more comprehensive than the free crash course, and well worth the very nominal cost.

While you wait for the book to arrive, you should read through the very informative multi-part AVRT discussion thread right here on this forum. Be aware that your Beast will be reading along with you, though, looking for any loopholes that suggest more drinking.

AVRT Discussion Thread on Sober Recovery
  1. RR
  2. RR
  3. RR
  4. RR
  5. RR
  6. RR
Old 12-08-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Algorithm! I will be ordering it shortly.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, macsmith777! Yes, it really is that simple. I haven't read the book; for me just the slide show was sufficient. Everyone is different, though. While I'm not a professional I have some psych education and am pretty familiar with CBT and AT. I think AVRT has some similarities with them. It 'clicked' with me right away. Bear in mind that I drank like a fish for most of the previous 25 years before AVRT, but after the "Bullet for my Beast" slideshow I have over four years of continuous sobriety.

The BP is the point where you tell yourself you will never drink again and never change your mind. That alone would probably just be empty bravado with the Addictive Voice Recognition part. When you do the 'thought experiments' you can really identify the 'beast part' of your brain. For me it then became pretty easy to acknowledge them while understanding they have no power to make me drink. I suppose it's also akin to Urge Surfing.

AVRT has been a miracle for me. I haven't read the book but if the free content on the website isn't sufficient to explain it the book is probably a great idea.

It's good to have you with us, macsmith777!