New to AVRT

Old 12-22-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Thanks MesaMan.

Yes, you're not wrong there, there is a massive pub culture here, it is a way of life. Infact we are a little culture unto ourselves here, lol! Although with the economy being the way it is, and since the smoking ban, people are going to pubs less.

It is also a very beautiful part of the world to live in, and as I have grown up I appreciate that immensely. That said I'd like to broaden my horizons someday, not in the too distant future. It's fantastic that you've travelled to so many different countries, I'm a little envious. Travelling is something that I've forsaken because of my addiction, I long to see the world!
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Inner conviction

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Something I was going to mention a few Weeks ago, based on Decades of Int'l Biz Travels to areas like Basingstoke, and Bournemouth...

I admire what you're undertaking. Immensely. My take is that you're sobering up in a daunting part of the World. What, with Pub Life so ingrained. I observe this having been to 18 Countries prior to early Retirement from High Tech.

IMO, there is something salient - which you possess - that's more important than Programs: Inner Conviction.

My Best Wishes to you!
Absolutely!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
quat

Flame , sounds like you are doing well, that's awesome. And yeah AVRT is all about doing by and for ourselves but nothing wrong with a bunch of badasses chewing and hashing things out, eh?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Flame, it's good to hear your update. So awesome that you've regrouped and are finding helpful info in the threads. I like the fact that AVRT is not really a belief system, it's just a technique. One that each of us can try independently and observe for ourselves how it works, pretty much right away.

Cheers to you on this winter solstice night!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by flame11 View Post
I'm identifying the AV alot better now and alcohol ing from IT as soon as I recognise IT. Just by saying "oh thats IT again" , then IT retreats for a bit. Sometimes when IT'S being particularly sneaky I get caught up in IT'S thoughts for a while, although IT eventually identifies ITself to me, then I seperate. I've also been separating from any negative thoughts about myself, they generally lead to alcohol consumption too. So much of my thinking is my AV, I dont know why I'm so surprised about that...but it kind of makes me laugh that I am. It is a relief to finally understand and realise that the internal 'battle' I've had for years is 'real' it's not just that I am detective or completely insane.
See how you feel when you take the 'a' out of "lead" and put your "alcohol consumption" into the past tense.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

How do I get to learn about AVRT?
Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Lots of great information right here, Steely. There is that terrific thread with something like 3000 entries called AVRT Discussion. It has a wealth of information in it, expertly guided and informed by some of SR's best members.

There are also a lot of threads here on the forum, just look for key words like Big Plan, or Beast in the title. You can do this!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Let me add that Rational Recovery has a website and a book called Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. Both highly recommended.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Flame, Happy New Year and hoping that it brings you health and happiness!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Thanks Tatsy, Wishing you the very best for 2017 ☺
Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Just checking in, iv been reading most days. AVRT is great. It has changed my defeatist/victim attitude around alcohol addiction. I know I had a bumpy take off learning this technique, now I'm flying, cruising along with no major problems. It really is so freeing.

For me learning to seperate took a little while to get my head around, mainly because my sense of self was so wrapped up with my AV and my addicted/not addicted lifestyle. I've had to slow my thinking and actions down and really pay attention to what is going on in my mind. I've had to reassert my sense of who I am, what I want, to enable me to really make that definitive seperation, and it wasn't that difficult, I was always there.

I feel stronger and in control. Not only regarding alcohol addiction but in other areas of my life. The change in my consciousness is very positive. I used to have a very fatalistic outlook on life. Whilst I do have a spiritual side to me, I can and have for some time seen the delusion this can cause me when entangled with social/ political ideology. With AVRT I can follow my own path of self improvement and trust my own moral judgement.

My beast/ misdirected booze/ pleasure survival drive is always going to be a part of me, IT will use the AV to try and get what IT wants. Lately IT has been feeling nostalgic, I haven't! IT'S been sending me images of the future, sunny days with glasses of wine, etc etc... all deluded lies, this is IT's

The loneliness I have spoken about in previous post, I now believe is my beasts loneliness, not mine. IT was seeking that beastly connectedness with other beasts! there are plenty of them. I'm not actually lonely, more beast lies. I like spending time by myself to recharge my batteries, I need this, life can be demanding.

I have striped away my own ideas and conditions for abstinence. There are none. I don't drink no matter what. I'm not counting days, or putting any pressure on myself. By which I mean I'm not saying to myself " now you are sober, you must do this or you must not do that". Obviously I am making some changes to my lifestyle but there are no musts.

I will continue to use SR and someday I will be able to help others who are addicted. I hope this thread might help people. At least by showing them to NEVER give up, keep an open mind, keep learning, keep trying to solve their problems. We are intelligent human beings, we can choose and make decisions, IT can not.

Thankyou secular connections ☺
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flame11 View Post
AVRT is great. It has changed my defeatist/victim attitude around alcohol addiction... I feel stronger and in control. Not only regarding alcohol addiction but in other areas of my life. The change in my consciousness is very positive. I used to have a very fatalistic outlook on life... With AVRT I can follow my own path of self improvement and trust my own moral judgement.
This is a fantastic update, Kay. I'm tempted to say that "I hope" it continues, but you already know where that part comes from!

AVRT is not a support group, and it can sting, but it does provide moral support to the authentic self. When everyone else is saying no, you can't crush the Beast, we say, unequivocally, yes you can, and then help out with target practice.

What better way to help could there possibly be?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

This is terrific, Flame11. Congratulations, and Brava!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
quat

Kay
Too bad for your beast, that you're a Bonafide badass Congratulations!
Awesome and inspiring post.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Flame, awesome work! Well done! Thank you for the update.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Flame, I was so thrilled to read your update, that I felt quite emotional and decided to comment later, then forgot!

You have so eloquently written about what I have also experienced, after mastering and applying AVRT, following my Big Plan. I am no longer a slave to the Beast's AV; I no longer live ITs life as an alcohol addict; I no longer believe ITs negative, victim-filled thoughts and feelings, which only served ITs plan to denigrate and demoralise me, so that I'd continue to supply ITs drink.

The resultant shift in power and greater expansion of consciousness is huge: with a far-reaching, positive impact upon my ability to deal with or address the issues which built-up.

I am so glad that you're well, Flame.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Tatsy and everyone else who responded to my update, much appreciated.

It sure is liberating to identify and seperate myself from those negative victim fuelled thought patterns when they arise. My beast loves to play the victim card...' aw go on have a drink you've had such a hard life, so much to deal with, take some time out, get drunk have abit of fun' . FUN lol that's a joke, the fun went out of it for me many many years ago. It's not too much fun when you're contemplating checking out because you couldnt live with yourself any longer.

Perspective, AVRT gives me the room to breath when that pernicious little cretin is on full throttle, expecting to receive ITs mind numbing, life changing glass of wine, (just the one obvoiusly), IT can no longer take over my mind, I am know the driving seat. ITs lies have been exposed for what they are, just that, lies to try and get alcohol. AVRT is that laser beam that illuminates ITs addiction to alcohol, yep to bad IT'S been rumbled!!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Today is my first day sober and is also the first day I've ever officially heard of AVRT... via this forum! During my longest period of sobriety (11 months last year), I think I was actually using AVRT-like principles of my own concoction, but ultimately my Big Plan wasn't built well enough. I let the Beast creep in and take some power back, and of course it abused that power as it only knows how to do.

I'm now crying tears of joy/hope at reading Trimpey's words for the first time ever. I feel recognized in those words. I know what I have to do. I will not drink, ever again. And I will not change my mind.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Kaleya
but ultimately my Big Plan wasn't built well enough.
Well the Big plan is really nothing more than the decision to not drink ever again. What may have happened to you also happened to me many years ago when I quit in a similar manner, but without any knowledge of AVRT. After a very long (and happy) period of abstinence, the AV started talking and I listened. I had no knowledge of recognition/separation, so it was a rather easy and natural takeover for the Beast. Rather than thinking you need to fortify your Big Plan per se, you might consider honing the technique of recognition and separation. That for me makes the Big Plan ironclad.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Welcome, Kaleya. There are some great threads in this secular section on how the "recognition" piece works .... read around and post your questions! Lots of us here are happy to support you in any way we can.