SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Secular Recovery Programs & other useful information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/396516-secular-recovery-programs-other-useful-information.html)

Ainslie 08-24-2016 07:14 AM

Secular Recovery Programs & other useful information

Hello

I recently was discharged from a 28 day stay in rehab. I was there for meth, alcohol and marijuana. I have managed to abstain from alcohol and meth but have relapsed on Marijuana. It has been my drug of choice for 21 years (im 35). Im looking for links to each and every alternate approach to addiction and recovery from addiction that has information available online. I hope the readers of this subforum can assist particularly with links to resources apart from SMART and RR. They are the only alternatives to 12 step ideology that I know of. Links to online forums like this are appreciated too. Or anything youve picked up along the way - a poem about recovery, a strange method that worked for only one person, or even just an overview of what works for you if you dont subscribe to just one model of addiction and one program for recovery. With this information I hope to build up enough knowledge to create my own relapse prevention and recovery guide from the ideas and methods that I think will serve me. Also ill be able to forward the available master resources to those that I know who are solely reliant on 12 step meetings and stepwork, that have trouble maintaining abstinence.

TIA

Ainslie

Ainslie 08-24-2016 09:42 AM

Sorry, I found a list on this site with heaps of links. This thread might as well be deleted, sorry for wasting the space!

Dee74 08-24-2016 03:38 PM

Good to see you Ains.

There's a subforum for marijuana users now if you're interested - I put a few links in a sticky at the top of the forum.

NEW! Marijuana Addiction - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D

Ainslie 08-24-2016 03:47 PM

You remember me or just being your usual polite self>?

Thanks I saw the marijuana forum :) and theres heaps more SMART meetings in australia now too :)

shockozulu 08-24-2016 07:14 PM

Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ has great forums and meetings online also. I'm glad you have a good choice of meetings in Australia. Its amazing how SMART has grown in my town here in California the last few years as well.

Dee74 08-24-2016 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ainslie (Post 6106608)
You remember me or just being your usual polite self>?

Thanks I saw the marijuana forum :) and theres heaps more SMART meetings in australia now too :)

Nah, I remember you :)

I wouldn't have called you 'Ains' if I was just being polite - you would have got the full 'Ainslie' :)

D

Ainslie 08-24-2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6106904)
Nah, I remember you :)

I wouldn't have called you 'Ains' if I was just being polite - you would have got the full 'Ainslie' :)

D

I wondered when I checked in here if youd still be around or if youd retired lol. I will have to get over to the other subforums and see who else is still around.

Ainslie 08-24-2016 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by shockozulu (Post 6106862)
Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ has great forums and meetings online also. I'm glad you have a good choice of meetings in Australia. Its amazing how SMART has grown in my town here in California the last few years as well.

Yup theres a meeting tomorrow in the next suburb to me. I would like to see an SOS meeting here though. I like their ideology.

shockozulu 08-25-2016 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ainslie (Post 6106927)
Yup theres a meeting tomorrow in the next suburb to me. I would like to see an SOS meeting here though. I like their ideology.

I had just come back to mention LifeRing and SOS as other secular options. I hope you have a great meeting.

graced333 08-26-2016 04:44 AM

Hi - I have been applying Buddhist teachings in my life since leaving rehab seven months ago, and my life has never been more peaceful and alive. I was addicted to both booze and benzos for over 27 years. If I can do this, YOU can! Many blessings.

Ainslie 08-26-2016 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by graced333 (Post 6108801)
Hi - I have been applying Buddhist teachings in my life since leaving rehab seven months ago, and my life has never been more peaceful and alive. I was addicted to both booze and benzos for over 27 years. If I can do this, YOU can! Many blessings.

Hey

Id like to hear more about these buddhist teachings - in your own words and how theyve worked for you - if thats not too much to ask? I could easily google buddhism, but id like more specific references to beliefs and corresponding courses of action. If its not too much to ask...

shockozulu 08-26-2016 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ainslie (Post 6109020)
Hey

Id like to hear more about these buddhist teachings - in your own words and how theyve worked for you - if thats not too much to ask? I could easily google buddhism, but id like more specific references to beliefs and corresponding courses of action. If its not too much to ask...

Zencat has posted some really good information on Buddhism and recovery in both Secular and Secular 12 steps in the past. I highly recommend his posts.

graced333 08-27-2016 03:52 AM

Hi - Along with very helpful posts on SR, I also read and practice the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh whose book I discovered during my rehab stay. The book is called "Peace in Every Step".

Time2Rise 08-27-2016 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ainslie (Post 6109020)
Hey

I found this site helpful Ainslie BuddhaNet's Buddhist Studies: A Basic Buddhism Guide

In addition, I found the book Buddhism for Dummies to be a good first text.