SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Today I can- a simple thread (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/392139-today-i-can-simple-thread.html)

shockozulu 05-31-2016 08:28 AM

Today I can- a simple thread

In this thread it doesn't matter if you have a day or 10 years sober. Just list one or two things you were able to do now that you are sober.

`Today I'm glad I was able to make sure my good friend was up for work after he had a health scare in his van last night. I was also glad to be able to see him through it last night.

jazzfish 05-31-2016 01:24 PM

Because "everything else" is not competing with drinking time, I can actually slow down and enjoy the things I do, even simple chores.

brynn 05-31-2016 01:43 PM

I can hold down a job (which I'm at right now!) and pay my bills on time like a respectable citizen! :)

graced333 05-31-2016 02:08 PM

I spent time with my sister and didn't want to drink.

zerothehero 06-01-2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by graced333 (Post 5977650)
I spent time with my sister and didn't want to drink.

Awesome. I did the same but she did not reciprocate. She drank.

graced333 06-01-2016 06:10 PM

Yeah, mine drank too. Oh well, felt sad for her.

JeffreyAK 06-03-2016 04:52 PM

Well timed since this just happened: Go to a bar after work on a Friday with new colleagues on an out-of-town work assignment, not drink a drop and still have a great time and go back to my hotel room sober and satisfied. :)

BaldDaddyO 06-03-2016 05:03 PM

I watched my soon to be ex-wife drank 2 cocktails, and a bottle of wine and thought how lucky I am not to be doing that with her anymore.

fred59 06-03-2016 06:12 PM

BaldDaddyO I am in the same boat and even though it is the right choice for my wife and I it still has me in a bad place emotionally.
8 months of mediation and we are still living together, weird.

fred59 06-03-2016 06:14 PM

today because I am sober I am the convenor at a LifeRing meeting

shockozulu 06-03-2016 08:01 PM

Looking forward to going to a baseball game. I heard they are serving hard alcohol in the stadium now. That's money I would have spent at the new counter I set aside for the souvenir stand today :-)

shockozulu 06-04-2016 11:05 AM

Today I can watch this intellectual debate with my first cup of coffee, and understand the contents!

skjaldmaer 06-05-2016 05:44 PM

Because I haven't been drinking I don't have to wonder what happened the night before, and can just focus on today.

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2016 06:14 PM

Today I can go to bed with a clear head, knowing I will sleep well and knowing I will be able to wake up early with zero regrets and zero hang over.

jazzfish 06-06-2016 03:53 AM

Because I am sober, I can wake up to the morning alarm because I haven't been up since 2AM due to insomnia and a hangover.

Razorblade66 06-06-2016 04:00 AM

Two things I can do now I couldn't do when I was drinking: #1 make it to the gym in the morning.
#2 Have SO much more energy in the morning due to going to bed earlier.

There's so much more but that's just at the top of my head at the moment!

Great thread!

graced333 06-06-2016 05:10 AM

Today I can feel rather sad, but not add booze or pills to the mix.

tursiops999 06-06-2016 03:50 PM

Today I can cope with some unexpected big stuff, and not drink over it, and not even get that bent out of shape.

My firm got acquired by a national firm two weeks ago. With only a week's notice, I was terminated, then offered job with the new firm. I turned it down, so now I'm unemployed. I could have been resentful & angry at the unexpected change, but instead I'm able to see it as an opportunity, and just do what's best for myself, without demonizing my employers or being overly frightened for my future. I trust that I'll be OK.

A few nights ago my husband (very healthy swimmer and runner) ended up in emergency room late at night with a blood clot in the leg, for no known reason. I was able to drive back & forth to emergency room at night, take detailed notes and ask questions of the doctors, and be a rock for my husband. When drinking I would not have been able to do these things very well.

I'm glad to be sober today.

shockozulu 06-07-2016 12:45 AM

I was able to watch the first act of PBS's fantastic performance of King Lear. Also started knitting again. That type of thinking and coordination can't happen when I was drunk.

NorthernLass 06-07-2016 01:05 AM

Today I will do what I have to do, be productive rather than waste the rest of the afternoon/evening drinking and doing nothing.