SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Addiction and the dopamine connection -- science (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/390351-addiction-dopamine-connection-science.html)

Lonelywombat67 04-27-2016 03:06 PM

Addiction and the dopamine connection -- science

The Addictive Brain: All Roads Lead to Dopamine | Collier's

awuh1 04-27-2016 04:08 PM

This is an excellent article Lonelywombat67! Very well done. Thanks.

jazzfish 04-27-2016 06:40 PM

Dopamine and addiction always remind me of this clip from South Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEfeNLKwd0

tursiops999 04-28-2016 10:48 AM

OMG, that SouthPark clip - hilarious! Pretty clear explanation of addiction.

zerothehero 04-29-2016 10:37 AM

But can we trust the word of Satan?!:scared:

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that the first link listed at the bottom of the article took me to a website selling a product with KB220z for $120 a bottle, so I kind of suspect the article is in part an effective advertisement for the product. Still, the dopamine thing is well established, and it's why so many people find little pleasure or fun in anything after they stop using. Like Satan said, their dopamine levels are all ****** up and ****. This information should effect how we address treatment options. The article does briefly mention holistic remedies, like yoga, diet, exercise, meditation... I wonder, though, if KB220z could help jump-start things for those who are suffering in early sobriety. Here's a related article supporting the idea: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/21084795

Lonelywombat67 04-30-2016 05:49 AM

I didn't even notice the link to the supplement when I read the article, but I did just now read up on it a little and proving that there's one born every minute, I bought a bottle (on sale.). It's delivered in a supplement called SynaptaGenx which in addition to the substance that's supposed to be the main ingredient includes Thiamin, B6 and Chromium.

zerothehero 04-30-2016 06:52 AM

To be fair, the article was in Colliers, so it wasn't strictly an advertisement. What I read from another source is it is a safe, over the counter, supplement. I would think it would take some time before noticing a difference, and then, if you're in early sobriety will you even know if it was the supplement or time that help you heal... If it wasn't so expensive I might consider it. I think I crave sugar because I slip into a tired dullness which very well could be from dopamine flow or receptor damage. Interesting...

zerothehero 04-30-2016 07:15 AM

Here's a U.S. government link stating it is safe but more studies need to be done, especially regarding long-term use of oral KB220z. The study focuses primarily on the intravenous use, and amazingly, states that one injection can lead to marked repair or increase in dopamine receptors. I'm not having any cravings for alcohol or opioids these days, but I do get bouts of what I call dullness. Not depression, just lack of energy, and the world loses its brightness, so to speak. I might look further into this. I've cut back on supplements for awhile, but maybe...

Lonelywombat67 04-30-2016 07:37 AM

I'm in the early days of desperation. I have 3 old generic Xanax from last year I haven't used, but I'm getting bad anxiety at night.

zerothehero 04-30-2016 08:26 AM

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."

Anxiety in early sobriety for me was as much a physical as it was a mental phenomenon. Don't fight it; ride it...

Jack Kornfield: https://vimeo.com/50107960

Once I learned this idea I used to feel the waves coming on and instead of fear I would turn it into excitement, like, wow, this feels like a big one coming - this should be thrilling! Oh, the joys of losing one's mind...

Lonelywombat67 04-30-2016 08:47 AM

Ok I'll try anything. Just like childbirth contractions. Only giving birth to sobriety :P. I'll try.

JeffreyAK 04-30-2016 08:49 AM

There's quite a bit of research on the role of dopamine in addiction, and it seems reality is very complex,
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e-unsexy-truth
http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v1...l/nrn3939.html
The addicted brain - Harvard Health

Addictive drugs all affect neurotransmitter processes in the brain, but different ones in different ways, and dopamine is involved in many areas of brain function that don't have anything to do with addiction. So, there don't seem to be any simple chemical explanations for addiction.

zerothehero 04-30-2016 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 (Post 5930858)
Ok I'll try anything..

Careful, wombat; that's prolly how you got into trouble in the first place! :scared:

zerothehero 05-08-2016 05:51 PM

Wombat, how's the KB220z going for you? I ordered some in the form of Synaptalean (with synaptose or KB220z) to see if it helps with sugar cravings and other compulsive behaviors. I know I'm prone to compulsion when I'm dragging and feeling dull and I've wondered if it's because my dopamine reward system is damaged. I'm good when it comes to alcohol and other drugs, but it's those compulsive behaviors that predate my substance abuse that I'm most struggling with, especially compulsive eating.

Anyway, I'm on day 2 with the supplement and think maybe it's too early to know. I'm gonna take if for a couple of weeks and see how I feel.

How's it going for you?

Lonelywombat67 05-10-2016 09:42 AM

Hi Hero, I just got it in the mail a few days ago and I thought I'd hold off taking it until I take the last few diazepam I got for withdrawal symptoms. These are only 2 mg. and I take one in the evening when my anxiety amps up. I didn't want to mix any meds. I'm even avoiding taking OTC pain meds for my arthritis to give my liver a vacation. Other than that Valium and milk thistle capsules, I'm staying away from other pills, but I will take them soon and let you know how it goes. I am getting cravings all the time so I hope it works. I'm taking small amounts of medicinal chocolate because, well you gotta have something.

freshstart57 05-10-2016 02:15 PM

The cravings for me got easier to handle when I realized all I had to do was accept them. The cravings come, they go, and I still don't drink. It was learning how to sit with discomfort knowing it would pass in its own time.

Seeing this and succeeding at it was extremely empowering for me. Acceptance! Who knew?

zerothehero 05-11-2016 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 5946956)
The cravings for me got easier to handle when I realized all I had to do was accept them. The cravings come, they go, and I still don't drink. It was learning how to sit with discomfort knowing it would pass in its own time.

Seeing this and succeeding at it was extremely empowering for me. Acceptance! Who knew?

Thanks for this. I've successfully applied acceptance to cravings for alcohol and other drugs, but I've been less successful with sugar. It's triggered most by late afternoon brain fog at work (and the others in my office ALWAYS bring donuts and other crap). I'm trying a new plan, five days into using the Synaptalean, and doing a colon cleanse with psyllium husk in the morning and a mild senna tea at night. So far so good. I'm thinking the brain fog is actually a nutrition thing rather than a dopamine problem. It could be both. I might get a urine test that analyzes for mild allergies and such, providing a report regarding what foods to avoid. This is often used for an anti-inflammation diet, which I could benefit from, as well.

Wombat, it sounds like you're working through, and hopefully away from quite a cocktail of meds. With time I hope you'll be able to ween. I get concerned when folks believe using THC will help them with alcoholism, though. I had a friend who detoxed from alcohol several times but never quit chasing some kind of buzz. He always returned to alcohol, may he R.I.P. Just my two cents. Take care...

Lonelywombat67 05-11-2016 08:15 AM

Haven't really taken that many pills in the past. The only prescription drugs I was on before were an antidepressant and blood pressure meds. I've been taking one Valium for easing alcohol withdrawal and I'm down to about 4. I'm coping with arthritis pain but not taking Advil or Tylenol because my liver doesn't need them right now.

zerothehero 05-11-2016 03:41 PM

Who is the nice lady in the photo? I know him from somewhere...

shockozulu 05-12-2016 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by zerothehero (Post 5948398)
Who is the nice lady in the photo? I know him from somewhere...

I love your username. That's my nickname for my service dog. He's named Zero from the little dachshund ghost in the Tim Burton film Nightmare Before Christmas.